Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM

Default I got this buddy....

So I got this buddy, he is a treaty Indian, he comes from a large family, and he loves to hunt, as it ha been handed down to him from generation to generation for hundreds of years. This year he plans on hunting his usual moose, a couple deer, an elk, and big horn sheep. When he hunts, he only hunts in the fall when season is open, and he uses the required weapon (eg if it's bow season he does not use a rifle). He pretty much abides by all the laws that non native hunters abide to with the exeption that he does not purchase a tag, or put in for draws. However he also does not kill a sheep every year, and he only kills mature males and respects laws that he does not have to such as elk 6 point or larger. He is a firm believer in conservation and never ever takes more than he and his family need, in fact takes less than what his family could use... He is a hard working business owner, attends church regularly, and lives off of the reserve, paying a mortgage and sends his kids to school every day. Just a Stand up kind of guy.

What are your takes on this? He has talked to some game wardens and they don't seem to have an answer.. Please keep your comments tasteful, base argument on facts, and keep in mind this is a public forum.

Thanks...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Gone Hunting

I.b.t.l.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I.b.t.l.
???? what does that mean
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post

What are your takes on this? He has talked to some game wardens and they don't seem to have an answer.. Please keep your comments tasteful, base argument on facts, and keep in mind this is a public forum.

Thanks...
My take on what?
What is the question that the wardens cannot answer?

Cat
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM

agree or disagree doesn't really matter . He's following the rules and excersizing his rights , not much anyone can say
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
???? what does that mean
It means that Redfrog is getting his two cents in first, knowing full well that this is going to turn into a sh&t storm real fast and the thread locked down about as fast!
Cat
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM

what would you like an opinion on? if he is hunting for sustenance why does it sound like he is almost trophy hunting? if he's hunting to feed his family and thats it shouldn't he shoot does/ewes/cows? i have no problem with native hunting rights except for the ones that sustenance hunt for trophy animals, you want to sustain your family shoot does/cows/ewes, you want to trophy hunt then put in for draws like everyone else
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It means that Redfrog is getting his two cents in first, knowing full well that this is going to turn into a sh&t storm real fast and the thread locked down about as fast!
Cat
I think you may be on to something there.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 PM

His questions were based on what a wardens opinions were about him choosing to only harvest mature males, as opposed to killing females, once again he believes in conservation, doesn't want to hurt population.

Personally I don't think were offending anyone and would like to keep it that way.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM

I like the Alaska rules for native hunting
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM

He is well within his rights to do so. I personally see no problem with it is long as he is not abusing his position. I am sure there will be a few here who will disagree but given the oppertunity some would probably do the same.....

LS
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM

he is just following the rules and is doing what every hunter does.. good on him ......kill a female and you kill 5 offspring or more and 2 of them would of been males..

David
Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

it sounds like you are almost living within the same guidelines as the rest of albertans joe. i see no reason why you shouldnt.

kinda like chris rock saying black guys shouldnt be wanting a pat on the back for taking care of their kids and having a job. thats what youre supposed to do.

there would be less racism in the world if there wasnt legislation forcing it on us.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I like the Alaska rules for native hunting
ok, i'll bite. Whats the Alaska rules?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Default why?

if hes following the rules 6 point or whatever and hes a buisness owner and so upstanding, why not just buy the damn tags? no questions then or discussion
Darrell
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM

@ISB. I know the whole chris rock thing, I'm just preventing someone from saying something stupid,
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Just because a guy is a business owner doesn't mean he is rich.. His thoughts on that are both as a treaty obligation as well as he says srd does enough stupid stuff with his tax dollars.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
ok, i'll bite. Whats the Alaska rules?
skull plate must be broken.... food not trophy
pick whatever animal you like, if its male you must brake the skull plate
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck71 View Post
if hes following the rules 6 point or whatever and hes a buisness owner and so upstanding, why not just buy the damn tags? no questions then or discussion
Darrell

Because he is not required by law to due so.

LS
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Nothing wrong with breaking the skull plate, he keeps his horns, but usually in his garage in a pile. He don't like hanging animals in his house, his grandfathers told him that it was not very respectful to the animals that fed his family.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM

I 100% Support your Friend and native hunting rights in Canada!....JMO
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM

No big deal he is in his rights. Seems to me that fellow has great respect for wild life & does not abuse his rights.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nothing wrong with breaking the skull plate, he keeps his horns, but usually in his garage in a pile. He don't like hanging animals in his house, his grandfathers told him that it was not very respectful to the animals that fed his family.
why play coy joe? you know what your "friend's" granddaddy said........cmon man, you are talking about you.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 PM

I'm actually not talking about me... I put in for my draws, got the two I wanted, had enough priority, it's my cousin lol
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM

But I'm a little different too tho, I eat the meat but I'm a straight trophy hunter. Therefore I buy the tags.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM

I don't care who it is, buy tags and hunt by the regulations
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Banned

To be honest i think the whole idea is a bit out of touch anymore.
Maybe it should be re-worked a bit in the interest of protecting sensitive species better.
Besides how many native guys really need to sustenance hunt nowadays?

That said...if he does...he does and it is his right and he seems to be ethical about it so why not?
I'd support a free tag to anyone that needs it if it came down to it.

I think a lot of the hard feelings that sometimes exist are only due to the attention that the few bad apples bring onto an otherwise honest and fair community.

Good luck to him this fall.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 07-18-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM

As a treaty Indian myself, I also believe the system needs to be re-worked a bit, and a guy would be surprise how many people depend on the first nations hunting rights,, especially in some of the community's that are quite a ways from city centers. If anything it would be nice to have some sort of reporting system, to help srd in producing accurate hunting reports.

As first nations people we are proud people, we have the utmost respect for mother nature and the country we live in and all it's laws. Unfortunately I can't speak for a few bad apples, but neither can allot of people in other communities.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
As a treaty Indian myself, I also believe the system needs to be re-worked a bit, and a guy would be surprise how many people depend on the first nations hunting rights,, especially in some of the community's that are quite a ways from city centers. If anything it would be nice to have some sort of reporting system, to help srd in producing accurate hunting reports.

As first nations people we are proud people, we have the utmost respect for mother nature and the country we live in and all it's laws. Unfortunately I can't speak for a few bad apples, but neither can allot of people in other communities.
Ok. well in Alberta if you buy every tag and fallow white man laws.There is still way more enough to feed your family and then some. So really what is the deal if you buy a tag or not? I see changes need to be made to these laws.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

Absolutely.