Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Default Who's brought back fresh caught fish from US into Canada?

Going to Flathead lake in Montana next month and trying to find info on what the process is, if any, for bringing back and declaring lake trout back into Canada.
I called the Canadian food and inspection agency and from what they told me, I can bring back 10 (whole) lake trout per person.

I assume that means to not fillet any of the fish and leave them whole either fresh or frozen in case they need to inspect them. Am I missing anything here or is it as simple as that?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:34 AM

a couple of years ago I brought 7 coolers full of Albacore Tuna back. i crossed at Kingsgate near Creston... they asked what i had under the tonneau cover and i told him "tuna that i caught in washington" he said "welcome home". to be safe have your fishing licence and a copy of the regs to show them what the limits are just in case

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 AM

You won't have any troubles. I fish Koocanusa every year in Montana and we bring back fish every year. As long as you are within the state laws for number of fish you're allowed you won't have any troubles.

We let the border control know we've been fishing and they've never asked to see our fish.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 AM

I've brought perch and walleye home from North Dakota on three occasions. No issues.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:25 PM

You can legally cross the border bringing back up to 10 fish, any legally caught species however the catch limits if any must be followed for the state you are fishing in. Not sure what the possession limit is for Lakers down there so get a copy of their regs to make sure. Good luck!!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Same as above - I haven't done it in a few years - but it's usually a painless process and more often than not, they don't even bother looking at anything let alone inspecting the catch.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 PM

awesome, thx fellas!!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM

Brought back a half dozen king salmon from San Juan islands a few years ago. No problems.