Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Default Lesser Slave / Spruce Point fishing

Any reports on the area over the weekend or recently? Headed out this weekend and want to get the kids on some fish between swimming/tubing. Just looking to reduce my search time if anyone has a few tips as depth, colors or techniques that are working, if you want to PM a specific area that will work too .
I fished there 6-8 years ago and trolled in 8ft and got enough to keep from being bored, don't remember a lot or structure or specific hot spots.

Can go to Faust and would if it might be better, usually fish Joussard in 10-12ft along weeds but were staying at Spruce and don't have a lot of experience with that part of the lake.

Thanks & Cheers.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Just follow the crowd of boats....bright jig head and a parker minnow.

no secret to finding fish on that lake.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:24 PM

North shore or just past driftpile point, we were catching an average of 50 cm fish all day long on chartreuse heads and tails. They seemed like to hang at 20-25 ft.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
North shore or just past driftpile point, we were catching an average of 50 cm fish all day long on chartreuse heads and tails. They seemed like to hang at 20-25 ft.
Thx, I'll check in with the people at the marina as well as never heard of those spots, hopefully they will point me in the right direction.
I'll look for a bunch of boats as well! lol.

Heard a spot that is out in front of pumphouse too?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Thx, I'll check in with the people at the marina as well as never heard of those spots, hopefully they will point me in the right direction.
I'll look for a bunch of boats as well! lol.

Heard a spot that is out in front of pumphouse too?
The north shore is a LONG haul in a boat....if the wind kicks up you will have a miserable/dangerous trip back to spruce point park.

The pumphouse spot is just a sand flat....go out from the marina and follow the shoreline west a few km. Cant miss it will have boats on it.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Thx JB - didn't know if it was north shore of a bay around there or what.

I won't be cruising across the lake, I'd haul to the boat to Faust before that.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Any reports on the area over the weekend or recently? Headed out this weekend and want to get the kids on some fish between swimming/tubing. Just looking to reduce my search time if anyone has a few tips as depth, colors or techniques that are working, if you want to PM a specific area that will work too .
I fished there 6-8 years ago and trolled in 8ft and got enough to keep from being bored, don't remember a lot or structure or specific hot spots.

Can go to Faust and would if it might be better, usually fish Joussard in 10-12ft along weeds but were staying at Spruce and don't have a lot of experience with that part of the lake.

Thanks & Cheers.
The Narrows is always good and not that far from Spruce Point.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM

I am right now at spruce point, yesterday and today very good fishing. I had good fishing from 8 to 10 ft. Yesterday.
Today went to deeper water and we got limit with no problem.
I am at # 58 camp.good luck
Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Any other depths or methods eyes are being caught as of late around Spruce? Any other species guys are picking up, thanks.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:21 AM

Trip report and future reference

Sat afternoon was very good, boated close to 100 in 2-3hours. Trolled till we had a double header and anchored in 12ft and turned the kids loose. They had fun and I kept busy netting and hooking up minnows. We didn't go to far, out from the big beach to the east a bit mostly.
Lots of 42's and we kept 3 and let several over go as well.
That evening was slower S trolled from 8-12ft and picked up maybe 10 but 75%keepers and bigger to 50cm. Same deal Sunday evening fewer fish maybe 12 but bigger, kept 2.
The fish on Sunday seemed to like a bit of flash, the little propeller head or the one with the small willow blade. We didn't find any structure, just a drop from 6-8ft everything else was gradual, the fish were lighter coloured than I'm used too from being on the sand I'd guess.
Saw a 6-7#er at the cleaning station, the fish also didn't have anything in there stomachs and seemed a bit on the skinny side I thought.

If I go back next time I'll start with a bottom bouncer walleye spinner rig as they seemed to like flash and S troll different depths to find 'em.