Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Default Shore fishing near Edmonton?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to take my kids out fishing here right away. Only problem is, I don't have a boat. I'm looking to go fishing for some pike or walleye and am looking for a place to do some off shore fishing with the wee ones. I used to go fishing all the time as a child, but it's been a while for me since I have moved out of the roost and figure its time to get my kids addicted does anyone know of any good places near Edmonton that's got some good shore fishing? I was thinking of Battle River just off 56 (right by that fish ladder and Driedmeat lake) near Camrose, but I'm unsure. We're not really interested in fishing the North Saskatchewan either. I was told Hasse Lake was good to fish off the dock, but I have read that it winterkilled and is now considered a dead lake any tips and pointers would be great. Thanks in advance
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM

The edburg bridge (the ladder at driedmeet) is good for a week or 2 after opening. Pretty slow now.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 AM

Its a bit of a drive (2 hours or less depending how easy you get out of the city) but its almost impossible to not catch at least 1 fish at North Buck lake (in direction of Lac La Biche).

Get yourself a medium sized spoon (any color really, but I find devils bait orange/chartreuse is best) and cast along the shore in front of the weed patches. You don't have to go far from where the provincial park is. Just go up north along the township road from the Prov. park to where the lake narrows a bit. Plenty of shore access along side of the road there, and the water is shallow and manageable.

On a average day you might catch 50 fish. Not even kidding. On a bad day you might catch 10 haha!

Everyone once in awhile you catch one that's a little bit bigger too. Most are all smaller pike in the 1 to 3 pound range but I've found some a little deeper during ice season that have been well into the 30+" range and pretty fat.

I hope this helps and good luck in your travels!

Last edited by NSR Fisher; 07-05-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:20 AM

Mornville reservoir?

Cardiff Park?

Wabamun for perch?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Mornville reservoir?

Cardiff Park?

Wabamun for perch?
Are these educated guesses? Lol
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Mornville reservoir?

Cardiff Park?

Wabamun for perch?
My answer to these

Morinville-i don't care what anyone says I've always been skunked it's dead.

Cardiff is great if you know where to go on the pond and don't mind catching small ones

Wabamun is great, better with boat though

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Not sure what is going on with the stocked trout this year but the Morinville Ponds have been brutal since the ice came off.

I took the kids to Cardiff and there was nothing rising last night between 8-9pm.

Last year it was like watching water boil...
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM

North buck lake sounds awesome, but goodness it's a decent jog away haha something like that would be perfect though. Don't want my kids to get skunked the first time they go, I want them to get "hooked" on fishing like I did. Anyone else know of anything good like that closer to Edmonton? I know pickins are slim near Edmonton without a boat. Heard the narrows and lac st Anne are pretty good, but the locals can be less than savoury to deal with at times
Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 PM

An easy fun lake for kids shore fishing is Wizard lake 50 km SW of Edmonton. Jubilee park on the east end of the lake has a pay for the day parking. Walk west past the beach area and the shoreline is very fishable. Between the beach area and the boat launch/dock in the park. It gets to 17 to 20 feet deep only a few feet off shore so the kids do need to be careful.

Usually easy to catch small pike and the occasional bigger one. Spoons work fine. If the kids get bored there is a beach area and playground in the park too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM

A good bet that's a little closer would be Coal lake. Same game plan as I said with North Buck. Mid sized spoons cast in the clear areas between weed beds. You'll find some pike there.

If you fish near the outlet or inflow (north and south end of the lake, its not that big and easy to drive end to end) you will find good shore access.

The Battle River is a pretty good bet too, as it exits Battle lake and downstream a bit or even the inflow on the other side. Find a deep bend where the river slows a bit and I'd bet money there's at least one pike if not a few tucked in along the shady side of the bank inside the bend. Lots of snags in that little river so try and keep your lure up off the bottom if you can.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:51 AM

My recommendation is Wabamun. I've been going out there for 3 years now, catch and release only, but I've never been skunked. This year I started taking my grandson out there. We've been out there twice, he's caught 2 pike and a walleye. Just using spoons. Perfect spot just outside the town, down Lakeshore Rd.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 8.46.43 AM.jpg

sloan.jpg
Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2938 View Post
North buck lake sounds awesome, but goodness it's a decent jog away haha something like that would be perfect though. Don't want my kids to get skunked the first time they go, I want them to get "hooked" on fishing like I did. Anyone else know of anything good like that closer to Edmonton? I know pickins are slim near Edmonton without a boat. Heard the narrows and lac st Anne are pretty good, but the locals can be less than savoury to deal with at times
Beaumont trout pond had good trout fishing, same as chickacoo lake and east pit lake. All great shore spots

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 02:53 PM

Great tips. Thanks everyone