Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Do You Eat Fish From North Sask River?

Just curious if anyone around here actually eats fish from North Sask River?
If yes, how often? if no, why not? Opinions?

Thanks all
Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Unfortunately I have caught enough poachers that do that have a walleye mixed in their bag as they run away. One guy I told told him about the mercury poising and it was like a pig looking at a jet engine. One time they released the walleye after I told them I was calling RAP. The other times they ran and biked off.

Anyway to get back to your question - no I wouldn't - nothing to do with the Mercury poisoning or regulations - fun to catch but that's the extent this close to the city. Maybe way upstream in the foot hills with some trout.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Just take one look and sniff from the outflows coming from the city of Edmonton and you will think twice on eating any thing out of there.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Back in the day, way back like 30 yrs back, I knew of people who caught and kept Goldeyes for the smoker. Don't know of anyone eating fish from the NSR anymore. Upstream of Drayton Valley, probably no issue. Have to go a long way down stream before I would trust all the bad stuff is filtered out.

They live in too much recycled poop and PP for me to think anyone wants to eat them from here
Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM

I eat them out of Tobin Lake, Sask.

Delicious.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM

The city of Edmonton recommends that you do not eat more than one fish meal per week out of the NSR. I guess they figure it's not too bad? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 PM

The NSR is probably my favourite fishery but I don't eat a thing from it. Especially after seeing images of the PA pulp mill's effluent trail of black sludge winding a dozen or so KM downstream of the mill. Not to mention what is upstream (Edmonton ) Funny how a lot of people wouldn't touch the fish from the NSR with a 10-foot pole but take their limits home from Tobin, Diefenbaker, etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
The city of Edmonton recommends that you do not eat more than one fish meal per week out of the NSR. I guess they figure it's not too bad? Haha.

Only because of naturally occurring mercury levels...

Anyone who wouldn't eat fish out of the NSR better never go visit the ocean or a fish farm to see where their super market fish comes from. Take my word for it, you would wish that fish came from the NSR, within city limits...
Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

I used to eat smoked Goldeye that a colleague caught out of the NSR. Now anytime I get close to overhead power lines I light up like the sun.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
I used to eat smoked Goldeye that a colleague caught out of the NSR. Now anytime I get close to overhead power lines I light up like the sun.

Lol hilarious

Old 07-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Only because of naturally occurring mercury levels...

Anyone who wouldn't eat fish out of the NSR better never go visit the ocean or a fish farm to see where their super market fish comes from. Take my word for it, you would wish that fish came from the NSR, within city limits...

This was my thoughts exactly.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:19 PM

I wouldn't but I'm all for C&R regardless of where I'm fishing, even though I love the taste of fish.
If I did find a fish that looked especially delicious I'd be torn but if it looks and feels that good I'd want it kept in the breeding population for as long as possible.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 AM

Just to clarify something about the mercury in the NSR. Not all the mercury is natural. In the 1890's the gold dredges used pounds of mercury. Some of the dredges were lost during a flood. In one gold miners journal he mentioned being able to pan considerable amounts of 'usable' mercury out of the sand near Big Island which on just upstream of Edmonton. I don't think you can recover naturally occurring 'organic' mercury with a pan. Even on the city of Edmonton's info webpage on the NSR is says "Most mercury accumulation in Alberta fish comes from natural sources."

Recommendations are once a week. That equates to 52 times a year. One or two feeds a year isn't any worse than eating Rotten Ronny burgers.

It's been mentioned that fish are eaten far downstream of Alberta, and enjoyed. Wonder if those downstream fish eating anglers are balding and having dental problems? Doubt it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Just to clarify something about the mercury in the NSR. Not all the mercury is natural. In the 1890's the gold dredges used pounds of mercury. Some of the dredges were lost during a flood. In one gold miners journal he mentioned being able to pan considerable amounts of 'usable' mercury out of the sand near Big Island which on just upstream of Edmonton. I don't think you can recover naturally occurring 'organic' mercury with a pan. Even on the city of Edmonton's info webpage on the NSR is says "Most mercury accumulation in Alberta fish comes from natural sources."

Recommendations are once a week. That equates to 52 times a year. One or two feeds a year isn't any worse than eating Rotten Ronny burgers.

It's been mentioned that fish are eaten far downstream of Alberta, and enjoyed. Wonder if those downstream fish eating anglers are balding and having dental problems? Doubt it.

Good points. So do you personally eat the fish?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Good points. So do you personally eat the fish?

I have and will continue to do so. A pickerel would be nice to eat, if legal, but a nice river run pike is a treat too.

I am so brave I actually eat smoked oysters and sardines from China. Now that's scary.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Never have, never will. Nasty
Old 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Don't farmers shoot crap across their fields for crop fertilizer? I figure everything we eat starts in a pile of doo-doo.

Cheers
Old 07-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Default I don't never ever

Quote:

Thanks all
hum interesting question I would ask why would you want to! let alone admit to eating fish out of that River.

To each there own i guess eat it or don't eat it
Old 07-07-2017, 11:49 AM

I do and wouldn't understand why anyone wouldn't. NSR cleaner than most of the lakes in AB easily. I mean I would avoid any bottom feeding fish for sure but anyone thinking NSR is nasty have you seen some of these tilapia farms? salmon farms? get real... oceans are dirty as **** and yet everyone loves them some filter feeders... shrimp, lobster and crab..
Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM

I appreciate all the feed back and opinions. I am going to try fishing NSR and get me a fish to fry

Old 07-07-2017, 12:20 PM

The fish farms we eat talapia and basa from are much worse than the NSR, just regulations on contaminants don't carry across boarders. NSR is probably pretty safe. And if you've eaten fish from factory farms, you e eaten worse.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all the feed back and opinions. I am going to try fishing NSR and get me a fish to fry

I did not have a desire to but I kept some goldeye and mooneye that were hooked deep and gave them to my Father in Law. He gave me a goldeye back that he smoked. I was sheepish to try it but when I did....still one of the most memorable smoked fish I've ever had. Just plain awesome when done right.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Don't farmers shoot crap across their fields for crop fertilizer? I figure everything we eat starts in a pile of doo-doo.

Cheers
Yup they spray recycled human poop on fields to. Can even give you the name of trucking company that does it if anyone dont believe me.
Same stuff that "accidentally" gets dumped in the river when the recycle digester tanks get to full.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM

To each and their own. The fish you caught around Drayton could have spent the other 8 years of its life eating turds and toilet paper in the city. They move lots, especially the goldeye and walleye. I look at the meat. If it's yellow or brown and not very firm at all you probably will be dissapointed in the final product. Nice firm white meat smokes better and tastes better out of the pan too.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Bearman View Post
I eat them out of Tobin Lake, Sask.

Delicious.
This, everyone has strong feelings about eating fish out of some of Alberta's major rivers, but nobody worries about eating fish out of the lakes they feed. I tend to think that if people are eating catfish out of the lower Mississippi River which drains accumulates a massive amount of pollutants on its route, and shrimp from the gulf of Mexico where said pollutants are deposited, then anything an Alberta river can do to me is pretty minor.

At the most you would only ever be a 1000 km, a few minor citys, and less than a half dozen pulp mills from the river's source. In the grand scheme of river systems this is very, very minor. If you cant eat fish out of the NSR then you should probably avoid fish from about 99.9% of the earths flowing water.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
This, everyone has strong feelings about eating fish out of some of Alberta's major rivers, but nobody worries about eating fish out of the lakes they feed. I tend to think that if people are eating catfish out of the lower Mississippi River which drains accumulates a massive amount of pollutants on its route, and shrimp from the gulf of Mexico where said pollutants are deposited, then anything an Alberta river can do to me is pretty minor.

At the most you would only ever be a 1000 km, a few minor citys, and less than a half dozen pulp mills from the river's source. In the grand scheme of river systems this is very, very minor. If you cant eat fish out of the NSR then you should probably avoid fish from about 99.9% of the earths flowing water.

Yup. That's how I feel. Rather eat a NSR fish than a tilapia from superstore.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 AM

If you walk the shore of the N. Sask. R. in Edmonton in summer, you can often smell the river, and it isn't a very pleasant smell. That has to be absorbed by the fish in the river, so no, I wouldn't eat fish from the river in Edmonton. Upstream maybe, but my general rule is for consumption only from a lake under ice, everything else is C&R.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:59 PM

Up till last year I would keep the sauger, tasted great. Maby that's how I got this third eye
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 AM
Banned

With many river boat and canoe trips down multiple rivers i can tell ya that our rivers are loaded with contaminants!! I have seen,dead rotting cows,cars,pulp mills dumping,pipeline breaks,run off from pastures/corals,batteries,run off from heavily fertilized fields, once we caught a septic truck dumping,we have spilled gas accidently filling a boat,all street gutters run into the rivers.I rarely eat a fish in Ab,we have too many people using and abusing our waters for it to be safe to eat anything.Any lake that has our major rivers dumping into them have a nasty cocktail of toxins picked up along the way. I would like to keep a walleye once or twice a summer in certain lakes but the zero limit on some doesnt bother me,way too much human poisoning.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks all
I receive this yesterday. Kind of a neat little app. “Should I Eat this Fish?” Found some interesting things in it such as Wabamun Lake for instance.

"I am pleased to announced the public release of a mobile app titled “Should I Eat this Fish?” created as part of the Alberta Environmental Public Health Information Network (AEPHIN) project lead by Dr. Nina Wang of the Environmental Public Health Science team with Alberta Health. It is now available in both Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._eat_this_fish

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shou...1760?ls=1&mt=8

The development of this mobile app occurred with input from Alberta Environment and Parks fisheries biologists as part of the AEPHIN Working Group. This fish mobile app utilizes the information of public fish consumption advisories for Alberta waterbodies posted on My Wild Alberta website (http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Saf...nAdvisory.aspx) and presents the advisory information in a user-friendly way.

Primary objectives of the mobile app were to:

· allow users to find out if the fish they have caught has a consumption advisory by selecting from a list of fish species and waterbodies in Alberta;

· inform users if they should limit the amount of fish they eat and what those limits are based on the weight of the fish caught; provide an alternate means (i.e., digital media-based) to display and utilize information already publicly available; and

· disseminate the fish consumption advisories in layman language and user-friendly fashion.

The main outcome of interest is to increase general public awareness of mercury levels in fish and to understand and adopt recommended fish consumption limits for different sub-populations (e.g., children, women of childbearing age, etc.). The intended audience for this app is anglers and the general public, but it may also be relevant to academic researchers, fisheries biologists, and conservation officers as it can be used without internet access once downloaded onto a mobile device (i.e., usable in remote locations of the province). "