Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Default “Should I Eat this Fish?” app from Alberta Health

I receive this yesterday. Kind of a neat little app. “Should I Eat this Fish?” Found some interesting things in it like Wabamun Lake for instance.

"I am pleased to announced the public release of a mobile app titled “Should I Eat this Fish?” created as part of the Alberta Environmental Public Health Information Network (AEPHIN) project lead by Dr. Nina Wang of the Environmental Public Health Science team with Alberta Health. It is now available in both Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._eat_this_fish

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shou...1760?ls=1&mt=8

The development of this mobile app occurred with input from Alberta Environment and Parks fisheries biologists as part of the AEPHIN Working Group. This fish mobile app utilizes the information of public fish consumption advisories for Alberta waterbodies posted on My Wild Alberta website (http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Saf...nAdvisory.aspx) and presents the advisory information in a user-friendly way.

Primary objectives of the mobile app were to:

· allow users to find out if the fish they have caught has a consumption advisory by selecting from a list of fish species and waterbodies in Alberta;

· inform users if they should limit the amount of fish they eat and what those limits are based on the weight of the fish caught; provide an alternate means (i.e., digital media-based) to display and utilize information already publicly available; and

· disseminate the fish consumption advisories in layman language and user-friendly fashion.

The main outcome of interest is to increase general public awareness of mercury levels in fish and to understand and adopt recommended fish consumption limits for different sub-populations (e.g., children, women of childbearing age, etc.). The intended audience for this app is anglers and the general public, but it may also be relevant to academic researchers, fisheries biologists, and conservation officers as it can be used without internet access once downloaded onto a mobile device (i.e., usable in remote locations of the province). "
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Neat app! Thanks for sharing! Hope they add more info on it soon!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Very cool, thanks for sharing
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Thanks for sharing, downloaded.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:48 PM

I juts hope they will keep updating it as lots of popular locations are not listed yet.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

If there are no consumption advisories for a body of water I doubt they would add it to the app as it would cause considerable bloat.

You can find the same info here

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/saf...5dyCoPT277Zvkw