Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Default Sheep hunting pack

I've decided to buy a new pack after my hunt this year. My pack is just incredibly uncomfortable. Some feedback on the following questions will be appreciated.
External frame or internal? Why?
What brand and model?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 PM

I just got back from five day sheep hunt.

I went in with an 80 lb pack 25kms and than up the mountain following day with 90 lb's roughly (took up water).

My pack is a Mystery Ranch Metcalf (71L bag i believe). Not the lightest pack (7 lb's) but absolutely bomb proof which is why I wanted it. The biggest thing is how the bag fits you. You can spend all the money in the world but if it isn't sized right for you than your wasting money. Kifaru, Stone glacier are other reputable pack brands as is Kuiu (although some people claim durability issues although I wouldn't hesitate to use one). Outdoorsman's out of Arizona has another pack (long range pack) is one I wouldn't mind getting my hands on...go in light come out heavy...go in heavy come out heavier...I'm positive any of these packs manufacturers will suffice...
Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM

What are you using now?
I'll second the right fit of a pack,
I've used lots of mystery ranch packs , this yr I wanted to save weight n got a small frame, I need a medium, not as confortable as the med frame.
I used my Kuiu to pack out 1 ram, then it was for sale
Carbon frame broke with the weight from the sheep

Over the rest of the season I'm trying out the new MR metcalf and a stone glacier. ...

Ill make up my mind as what works for me and pick from there for next yr.

Mystery Ranch
Kifaru
Stone Glacier
Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 PM

The Eberlestock Dragonfly is a great pack although on the heavy side a bit (I think about 10 lbs empty). It has a built in rifle scabbard that allows you to grab your rifle on the fly, and its expandable to multiple sizes (2900 to 4900 to 7900 cubic inches). Its also built with meat cooling in mind.

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107M%20Dragonfly.htm
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 PM

The right fitting pack for sure. And look for light weight. Oz=Lbs. Lbs=Pain. Happy Hunting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toole200 View Post
The Eberlestock Dragonfly is a great pack although on the heavy side a bit (I think about 10 lbs empty). It has a built in rifle scabbard that allows you to grab your rifle on the fly, and its expandable to multiple sizes (2900 to 4900 to 7900 cubic inches). Its also built with meat cooling in mind.

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107M%20Dragonfly.htm

I would suggest the OP stay away from that brand
They are not for serous sheep hunters
I took a guy out 1 year that picked my brain for a yr leading up to the hunt, he didn't listen about the bag and bought that bag,
Long story short , trip got cut short , bag was for sale as soon as we got home .

You want rifle on the fly
Get the kifaru rifle holder
Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I would suggest the OP stay away from that brand
They are not for serous sheep hunters
I took a guy out 1 year that picked my brain for a yr leading up to the hunt, he didn't listen about the bag and bought that bag,
Long story short , trip got cut short , bag was for sale as soon as we got home .

You want rifle on the fly
Get the kifaru rifle holder
X2. For packing rifle in during hunt I just used Kifaru gunbearer and strapped the barrel to side of pack. Put a solo hunter rifle cover on it for hike in and never thought twice about rain or mud...
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Yeah I am leading to Kifaru from what I found thus far. External vs internal frame?

Thanks guys
Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 PM

If you're leaning towards Kifaru, then I'd suggest an external frame (hunter/tactical/ultralight) as you can then simply swap out packs as you find what works for you. I have no experience with their internal designs (T1/T2), but I've heard they're pretty excellent and worth a look of you can find a good price on an used unit.

I'd definitely suggest giving them a call though. They have amazing customer service and are willing to answer any questions, as well as try and find what might work best for you and your hunting style.

As a note, I've never hunted sheep personally before, but I purchased a Kifaru at the beginning of the year for elk/deer. Only had 60lbs in it, and a few backpacking trips so far under the belt, but it's been absolutely stellar thus far in my limited experience with the pack.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Go external

Kifaru has great customer service
And there 5 string stuff sacks are the best
I have lots of their products, but I've never used there bag
Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 PM

Kifaru dt1. There's been a few on this sites buy and sell lately. When it comes to a pack lighter is not always better. They should hold there shape under load and not hang on your body or sway.

Tags
backpack, frame, sheep