Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Lot's of great knives out there, and I've come full circle here and use the "original Lauri Rapala birch" knives - one short at 5" and the other is a standard 7"-9" that were made in Finland.

Easy to sharpen and keep sharp and just the right hardness/softness for field work with great spine AND flexibility.

Old thread - but a relevant one.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:33 PM

Victorinox hands down... Running a charter boat I’m cleaning fish daily. I have tried a lot of different knives, and while Kershaw, Katz, Bubba Blaze are all decent I’ve always came back to Victorinox. They hold a great edge, resist rust better than most in saltwater environment, and are extremely reasonably priced... Halford’s has a great selection of style and stiffness in Edmonton...
Old 04-23-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This thread is from 2017 and resurrected by someone with one post linking to a business
aaaaand reported.
Cat
Old 04-24-2020, 07:04 AM

I had super knife that was custom made for me, I just didn't know it came with legs until it disappeared. Now I use a 4" folding knife which I keep in my pocket for making the back cuts thru ribs and hard bones. It also is handy in the boat for other issues. I think it's a Buck knife.
My delicate knife for actual skin/rib removal is a Rapala that a client gifted me. Not sure the model but it has a black flexible blade. Carbon fiber of some sort?
It really works well and one or two strokes down a ceramic stick keep it incredibly sharp.

Osky
Old 04-24-2020, 09:10 AM

I may be an outlier... but trust me when I say the Japanese have perfected filleting. I use a Japanese knife called a “Deba” and it’s the best damn thing for filleting. It’s sharp to get through the meat, but a steep bevel for getting through the ribs and spine. I liked western knives until I bought a cheaper Japanese knife, and now it’s all I use. Even if you don’t buy one, I urge you to just check it out.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:52 PM

I have Kershaw 3 blade set. The blades detach from the handle. 2 different length fillet blades and a serrated utility blade. Not cheap but I have had it for 30 years.