Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2023, 07:23 PM

Default Mighty Oilers!!!!

Mcdavid just scored on a penalty shot. Skating back to the bench, he looked liked somebody in his family just died. He looks like he just wants it to all be over. I’d be willing t bet that when his contract is up, he’ll take off like a scalded cat!
Old 11-20-2023, 08:03 PM

Two games in a row they have now blown a 2 zip lead.
This new coach is pretty lifeless behind the bench. Ol Paul Maurice was fired up and animated. I enjoy those coaches with a bit of old school grit. This new dude is meh …. Looks like a liberal..

#firethisonetoo
Old 11-20-2023, 08:11 PM

I grow weary of watching the dismal defensive play by all of the Oilers (especially the D-men). Whenever it's time to keep the puck in the offensive zone they lazily reach for it, or if they do actually touch the puck it's like someone handed them a ringette stick, zero control. This team creates more turnovers than Pillsbury.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:26 PM

All start. No finish. D sucks.

Very sad days.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-20-2023, 08:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try him I say……
Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 PM

I hear Woodcroft is available
Old 11-20-2023, 09:18 PM

I really thought Brown would be waived.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I really thought Brown would be waived.
I think with having played 11 games with no points and a minus 5, The Mighty Oil think all he can do is get better.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:49 PM

They mucked it up a little bit tonight, but for the most part, the team is still softer than an Air Supply song. That certainly won't help them going forward.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:04 AM

Well the honeymoon phase is over. Now back to losing again. Maybe Woodcroft wasn't the issue after all. I think most people see that, his win/loss record doesn't lie. Things need to change, starting from the top down. A miracle would have to take place this year for this team to make the playoffs let alone win it all.
Old 11-21-2023, 05:32 AM

It sucks to be an oiler fan these day's Oh well I'll go kill a coyote maybe that will take my mind off hockey

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Well the honeymoon phase is over. Now back to losing again. Maybe Woodcroft wasn't the issue after all. I think most people see that, his win/loss record doesn't lie. Things need to change, starting from the top down. A miracle would have to take place this year for this team to make the playoffs let alone win it all.
Yup, gotta make a trade, stir up the dressing room a bit, send off a good forward for a d man or two....or keep making my Canucks look good

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2023, 08:56 AM

Man I love hockey fans. Highest of highs or lowest of lows, never anything in between.

2-2 since the new coach and both of the losses came down to the final minute.

Florida went to the finals last year and are a legit contender again (unlike Vancouver, lol). Oilers played an AHL goalie against them and still came close.

Is there a reason to be concerned? Yup. But it's a long season and we've got 80% of it left to go. Take a few deep breaths, fellas.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:03 AM

The reason why there is concern is the season is slipping away and if it were not for the Sharks they would be in last place.
If Jeff Jackson is calling the shots now for the team, some of his recent decisions make no sense. Promoting Paul Coffey as an assistant coach, when he really didn't sound that excited about the position is questionable. Add to that he has no prior experience coaching at the NHL level.
Paying Connor Brown the $ 3.25 million dollar bonus for playing just 10 games for the Oilers. Brown is a right winger who was supposed to provide some additional scoring punch. At this point he has no points on the stats sheet. Add to this he tore up his knee while playing in Ottawa so adding him to the roster was a risky venture at best.
And last but not least the Jack Campbell goaltending fiasco. It is sad but it looks like his time as a pro athlete is done. Time to move on from him. One band aid solution for the short term would be to sign Jaroslav Halak who was cut from his personal tryout from the Hurricanes. He may be a bit long in the tooth at age 38 but he can still spot pucks as his career average in the NHL is
2.62. At this point of the season what do the Oilers have to lose if they sign him for the league minimum.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:25 PM

I hear ya, I just think there's a whole lot of overreacting going on based off of not very much. Oilers could real easily have scored on the PP late in the 3rd and then taken it in OT...they'd have won 4 of the last 5 and everyone would be on cloud 9. But we don't get that bounce and so the world is coming to an end instead. I just don't think it's as polarizing as all that.

Campbell was unfortunate.
Brown, I think most people felt that was a solid move. Pretty sure McDavid was pushing for it as well, so tough to fault Holland. And I don't think it was realistic for Jackson to demote him to avoid the bonus; players and agents will remember if you burn a guy like that.
Coffey...yeah, little bit of a puzzler there. I'm optimistic, but I guess we'll see.
Halak I'm pretty torn on. He feels like a 'do something for the sake of it' type of solution. I hope we can do better but I'm not sure who.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
Man I love hockey fans. Highest of highs or lowest of lows, never anything in between.

2-2 since the new coach and both of the losses came down to the final minute.

Florida went to the finals last year and are a legit contender again (unlike Vancouver, lol). Oilers played an AHL goalie against them and still came close.

Is there a reason to be concerned? Yup. But it's a long season and we've got 80% of it left to go. Take a few deep breaths, fellas.
Not too many clubs have the CEO fire the coach after what looked like an upswing only to hire the clubs superstars ex junior coach. Also not too many NHL clubs that have hired and fired 7 coaches in 10 years all the while goaltending is and has been an absolute dumpster fire and the goalie coach remains with no clear reason or statement made to the fans as to why he is untouchable.

7 coaches in 10 years. Maybe the organization should start looking at the organization?

I bet Todd Mcllelan and Cam Talbot who are flourishing in LA would have some thoughts on this dumpster fire off the record….
Old 11-22-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Not too many clubs have the CEO fire the coach after what looked like an upswing only to hire the clubs superstars ex junior coach. Also not too many NHL clubs that have hired and fired 7 coaches in 10 years all the while goaltending is and has been an absolute dumpster fire and the goalie coach remains with no clear reason or statement made to the fans as to why he is untouchable.

7 coaches in 10 years. Maybe the organization should start looking at the organization?

I bet Todd Mcllelan and Cam Talbot who are flourishing in LA would have some thoughts on this dumpster fire off the record….
Oilers have had a lot of coaches since 2000. (12 i think with this latest) but so has Florida Panthers 15 , Devils 13, Fliers 12, Flames 11,Islanders 11.

Not saying its a good thing just sayin.

Here’s a thought. Were Oilers better before Jeff Jackson or after? What changed? There has to be something psychological in that dressing room for there to be such a dramatic change since last season.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
There has to be something psychological in that dressing room for there to be such a dramatic change since last season.
Yea, it's called reality!!!
Old 11-22-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

The team that the majority of 'experts' pick to win the cup starts the season at 3-9-1 and you thought the coach was safe? Everyone and their dog, inside Edmonton and out, knew that was coming.

And, uh, McLellan...? The same McLellan that was barely a .500 coach here, got us to the postseason 1/4 years and who we then beat out in the last two playoffs? Weird guy to pine over.

I can't tell if you want to keep everyone on the team who hasn't achieved greatness, or get rid of them. You seem to want to have it both ways.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:32 PM

To play or not to play team hockey. That is the question.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-22-2023, 05:38 PM

Good start in Carolina boy's 12 minutes in and down 3 - 0

Old 11-22-2023, 05:39 PM

Under achievers. They just suck. The post game interviews are same old same old.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:41 PM

Not even 9 mins in and they are down 3-0. That last one was a snoozer and people are saying it's the d and not the goalie. They need both but to say their goaltending is ok is delusional. Hey maybe they could use a new coach? I don't think Woodcroft was the problem.
Old 11-22-2023, 05:43 PM

Sorry down 4 - 0 now, out comes skinner 4 goals on 13 shots

Old 11-22-2023, 06:21 PM

5 goals on 14 shots.

I'd blame defense, if there was any.

I was watching the game, and there was no score, and my son comes home and asks me if I can sharpen his skates before his practice.

Sure, sez I. I go sharpen skates, one pair, come back in, and it's 4-0 Canes....

That's......bad.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Sorry down 4 - 0 now, out comes skinner 4 goals on 13 shots
Old 11-22-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Oilers are the stars of their own comedy club.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:42 PM

Fire the coach
Old 11-22-2023, 06:49 PM

Oilers just need a couple more first picks, a new arena, and a different coach.

Oh, wait...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-22-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
Fire the coach
I think George Laroche might be available. , they havent tried him yet.