Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default A.A.

I was thinking there should be some sort of support group angling addicted people such as my self. I am a tackle and, gear junkie. Angling affects work and my home life. I often tell my wife and boys "oh just one more cast" and their eyes roll just like they have a thousand times before. They sit in the truck watching dvds while, that one cast turns into like a hundred. Then when a near hypothermic me returns to the truck do feel sympathy for me and what my addiction has done to me? No, I usually have to make amends with them and "make it up to them" ie. buy toy cars, purses, fancy meals ect. I have enough fly tying gear to keep a sweat shop in China goin for a year. Every where I go I seem to go with the family I see creeks, rivers, lakes, reservoirs,ect. Even at the Calgary Zoo, and the Stampede I stop on the bridges and stare into the water and stare, at wich point the wife usually says something like "oh I bet you wish you had your fly rod" and I'm thinking "your telling me" then she drags me away, as I look back and trip over my own feet. It is stories like this that makes me think there should be an Anglers Anonymous!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Hi Im Wayne, and Im an addict

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM

I don't need you losers , I cqn quit any tome I want to.
It's just that i don't want to
Cat
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Hi Im Wayne, and Im an addict
Congratulations Wayne, by admitting your addiction you have just taken the first step to recovery. I would suggest spending as much time as possible out of doors, preferably by a lake or river, meditating and getting in touch with your higher power ...... the mighty fish god.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM

An addiction?? Heck, it is a passion and a way of life for me
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM

I ain't been fishing all that long, I am definately addicted!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

It has all the vices;
CRACK of dawn
WEED beds
Sun DOWNERS
Sun UPPERS
BEER
To name a few

My name is gust and I have a penchant for tossing hardware.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 AM
pelada trochu

So what part are u complaining about.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Banned

one cast is too many, one hundred is not enough.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM

I'm not addicted I can stop if I have too.... Awww who am I kidding? I once spent over a grand on tackle in a month which I then attempted to justify by saying, "Well I did just lose a rod and a reel."
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 AM

At last count between summer and winter gear I had over 60 fishing "rods" .........I feel shame!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned

Cool

I took fishing rods to the desert, my name is jeff and I need help. im not addicted honest, who am I kidding I tried fishing d-nile. I live 500 miles from the ocean yet I keep a salt setup "just in case". I try to do other things like hunting and knitting, I get the same result . I think I may be a binge fisher. thank you for listening to my story, I wad told to say refreshments and cookies are at the back.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Just call me 13 step...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Fishinggeek,,,, guess the name speeks for itself. I've always wanted to attend one of these A A meetings, just always seem to go fishing instead.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM

Admitting you have a problem is a good 1st step. Getting rid of the material things that fuel your obsession would be the next step. I'll be there in the morning with a truck to "help" you out of a dark place buddy!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm still in the denial stage! I have a problem, im not fishing right now
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM

I was dropping dry flies in my hot tub seeing how long they float just last night.

BUT I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!

Do work, get paid, catch fish.
www.koldfusion.ca
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Banned

Where are the meetings?

I have hit bottom. I just paid 50 bucks for a Renzetti gallows for my tying vice.

Now I can't afford to buy booze.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Where are the meetings?
Every winter weekend on Travers Reservoir. Look for the 2 story ice shack with the miniature tackle shop built inside.

Do work, get paid, catch fish.
www.koldfusion.ca
Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I was thinking there should be some sort of support group angling addicted people such as my self. I am a tackle and, gear junkie. Angling affects work and my home life. I often tell my wife and boys "oh just one more cast" and their eyes roll just like they have a thousand times before. They sit in the truck watching dvds while, that one cast turns into like a hundred. Then when a near hypothermic me returns to the truck do feel sympathy for me and what my addiction has done to me? No, I usually have to make amends with them and "make it up to them" ie. buy toy cars, purses, fancy meals ect. I have enough fly tying gear to keep a sweat shop in China goin for a year. Every where I go I seem to go with the family I see creeks, rivers, lakes, reservoirs,ect. Even at the Calgary Zoo, and the Stampede I stop on the bridges and stare into the water and stare, at wich point the wife usually says something like "oh I bet you wish you had your fly rod" and I'm thinking "your telling me" then she drags me away, as I look back and trip over my own feet. It is stories like this that makes me think there should be an Anglers Anonymous!
Wow, minus the kids this sums up my life lol my wife just learned to deal with my constant river/lake gazing and constant gear buying... Sigh whatt an addiction . !!!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Wow, I thought I was alone .when are we going out?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM

Ha! I do the exact same thing when we go to the zoo. I openly admit my addiction. When we go camping with the family I always go to campsite within close enough range to a lake or river that I can sneak away to catch a few fish without getting into too much trouble. I'm always pushing that line. My moniker is ADIDAfish for a reason. Ever since I gave up football and then BJJ, my addiction has just gotten its hooks in deeper. Also, when I started fly fishing 5 years ago that really enhanced my appreciation for fishing. Now I'm hopelessly addicted but I LOVE IT!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Do you ever get the wife asking "What are you thinking about, oh wait, it's fishing isn't it?"?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

When I quit drinkin over 7yrs ago (long story), there was a huge void left in my life, fly fishing filled that void. So in essence fly fishing saved my life but really became an obsession. Adidafish, when I drive by the fishing store with the wife beside me, mentally I am not in my body, I'm in that store! One of the best things about fly fishing in my experience, is the friendship of perfect strangers I encounter while on the water. These guys have taught me alot over the years and, I have been known to show the odd newbee the odd trick or two.Fly fishing is the gift that keeps on giving. To anyone who doesn't fly fish you are missing out on something very special!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
When I quit drinkin over 7yrs ago (long story), there was a huge void left in my life, fly fishing filled that void. So in essence fly fishing saved my life but really became an obsession. Adidafish, when I drive by the fishing store with the wife beside me, mentally I am not in my body, I'm in that store! One of the best things about fly fishing in my experience, is the friendship of perfect strangers I encounter while on the water. These guys have taught me alot over the years and, I have been known to show the odd newbee the odd trick or two.Fly fishing is the gift that keeps on giving. To anyone who doesn't fly fish you are missing out on something very special!
Hey Wildbill. Just tying flys takes the stress out of a really bad day
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Hi,

My name is Frank, and I am an addicted angler.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Greylynx I've got all the best pattern books out there and and when I get on the vise for a tyin session, I start thinking of the endless possiblilties, though most of my flies end up being prototypes working my way towards the "Holy grail" of fies. The big draw back of this method of tying is lack of production and, when you lose one of the proto types and forgot how you tied it and the materials used. When this happens (like it did this summer at Lundbreck Falls after a fifteen minute battle with an unknown fish) I sometimes find myself reaching up to the sky with both hands screaming "Why,Why". I have a couple creations that have really exceeded my expectations but, stil not quite "Holy Grail" status. Every thing I tie these days works, but still just can't sit there and tie even 20 of the same fly, always tweekin the patterns to make them "better".
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

You know when you go to Wal-Mart and can walk around the nail polish section without shame, looking for that special colour (for improvised head head cement of course) you are truly obsessed. This is just another example of how far my addiction has taken me. Weird? Yes! What else is weird is when go into craft stores looking for fly tying materials ie. Michaels and I am fully expecting some of these attractive women who tend frequent these type haunts to confront me about the fact that I am in the store, they just smile at me with what appear to be bad intentions. If I was still single, this is where I would be goin to pick up babes. Yes my addiction puts me in weird situations but, it beats the Hell out of being normal! My name is Bill and I'm an angle-aholic!