Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2017, 04:29 AM
Banned

Default Great photo of Hemmingway

Was surprised to see this photo of the fisherman Hunter author Earnest Hemmingway. Down here on the Peruvian coast near his hangout.
He used to live in Cabo Blanco about an hour south of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.5 KB, 542 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Banned

The Old man and the Sea !!!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Who's Hemingway ?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Who's Hemingway ?
nevermind.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Who's Hemingway ?
He was quite the Cat. Parisian Bistros and African Safaris along with chasing Marlin off the Peruvian coast and off Pemba island just away from Zanzibar.

Take a look: I do not know if there is any one these days that even comes close.

Are we all just a bunch of timid metro sexual makes these days? Seems like it is from the LA times article. Maybe that's just in America.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...ngway-20110702
Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
nevermind.
Agreed ^

Mac
Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

Was surprised to see this photo of the fisherman Hunter author Earnest Hemmingway. Down here on the Peruvian coast near his hangout.
How do you know the picture was taken in Peru ?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
He was quite the Cat. Parisian Bistros and African Safaris along with chasing Marlin off the Peruvian coast and off Pemba island just away from Zanzibar.

Take a look: I do not know if there is any one these days that even comes close.

Are we all just a bunch of timid metro sexual makes these days? Seems like it is from the LA times article. Maybe that's just in America.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul...ngway-20110702
I can hardly begin to imagine the amount of finger wagging Hemingway would instigate these days. I'd love to have him posting his exploits here on this board. Oh the horror and self-righteous indignation that would ensue!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:33 PM

I didn't think our current PM Truedope was born during Hemmingway's time...or could that have been Truedope's dad Fidel...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
How do you know the picture was taken in Peru ?
New Sentance started. The photo is most likely taken in Cuba. The photo is very interesting indeed. Resemblance is uncanny. Maybe Fidel had some fun.

Yeah these days the safari hunting along with the womanizing especially in Paris would not be taken easy. But in Paris anything goes.

Quite the man. He must have been a genius I figure.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
I didn't think our current PM Truedope was born during Hemmingway's time...or could that have been Truedope's dad Fidel...
That indeed was Fidel Castro. Bingo.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM

The past is a distant place, they do things different there. To say what was once acceptable, socially or otherwise is no longer so..... wasn't that long ago we had beer parlors and the kids sat in the car at 90 F while Mom and Dad went in for a few beers. Try that today.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Since Hemmingway resided in Cuba for many years, are you sure the picture of him with Castro was not taken in Cuba. I have been to his Cuban residence.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

I just finished reading African Game Trails, the account of Teddy Rosevelts 1909 African Safari...which was to obtain samples of animal skins and heads for the Museum of Natural History.
Now Rosevelt was one of the original conservationists. He strongly believed in managed hunting to be sure that species wouldn't be erdicated, plus he was responsible for the National Parks system in the U.S.
Yet it was (as in Hemingsway) a different time.
There are accounts of shooting five or six lions or elephants in a day...all in the name of science.
They just didn't realize how finite the numbers of these animals was.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I can hardly begin to imagine the amount of finger wagging Hemingway would instigate these days. I'd love to have him posting his exploits here on this board. Oh the horror and self-righteous indignation that would ensue!!!
Didn't end very well though did it? Where do you draw the line between his exploits and his decent into desperate alcoholism? Based on your post history I'm guessing you don't have a lot of sympathy for people who end up the way he did.

If you love Hemingway and haven't read Islands in the Stream, don't.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Didn't end very well though did it? Where do you draw the line between his exploits and his decent into desperate alcoholism? Based on your post history I'm guessing you don't have a lot of sympathy for people who end up the way he did.

If you love Hemingway and haven't read Islands in the Stream, don't.
The light that burns twice as bright....
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM

The light that burns twice as bright ....

ends up leaving a trail of wrecked marriages, and a suicide in Idaho....

Went to see Hemmingway House in Key West, did not know the carnage he unleashed on his wives and children.

He was in the beginning of his career working in Canada doing editorials and reporting, then spent years in Paris, but somewhere along the line his lifestyle of excess got the better of him.

Sometimes the greatest of talents have a very dark side.

Drewski
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Cabo Blanco was one of his favorite places to fish, namely for Black Marlin. It is believed Cabo Blanco is where he got his inspiration for The Old Man and the Sea.

It's too bad the fishing isn't near as good as it once was in that area. Myself, I had dreams of hooking up with a Black Marlin in Peru - so I fished Punta Sal, Zorritos, Cabo Blanco and Mancora. Saw only one bill for all the trips I took, a missed strike in the prop wash.

I miss the Mango and Palta from Piura. I do not miss the Ceviche de conchas negras however.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! There wasn't much in Punta Sal when I was there, I assume you work/live at the resort?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Cabo Blanco was one of his favorite places to fish, namely for Black Marlin. It is believed Cabo Blanco is where he got his inspiration for The Old Man and the Sea.

It's too bad the fishing isn't near as good as it once was in that area. Myself, I had dreams of hooking up with a Black Marlin in Peru - so I fished Punta Sal, Zorritos, Cabo Blanco and Mancora. Saw only one bill for all the trips I took, a missed strike in the prop wash.

I miss the Mango and Palta from Piura. I do not miss the Ceviche de conchas negras however.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! There wasn't much in Punta Sal when I was there, I assume you work/live at the resort?
Best Mango of all you are correct. From the San Lorenzo valley just north of Tambo Grande near Piura. Bought a whole bunch today at the market in Mancora.

Not much luck for me either. However last week a boat went out and saw 20 sightings of Black Marlin on the inside of the Mancora bank some 50 km offshore. They caught two. El Niņo and La Nina play a big effect. The phenomena occurs right out my back yard with the water temps.

Me I am still doing some maintainance on my beach shack here made of jungle wood. 55 meter wide lot on the sandy Pacific beach. Being so close to the salt water here sure throws lots of electrical fun but it's easy to figure out.

Fantastic food and weather. It's like going back in time. No shopping malls. Just fishing villages and hippies and tourists.

Cebiche de Conchas Negras is great but it's gotta be fresh. Palta is fantastic but I love Maracuya for breakfast. Chonta con Palta from the jungle is fantastic. Like eating linguine but it's not pasta.

I worked in Lima Peru for four years so ended up buying a place here near Punta Sal for a place to get away from the Canadian winter.

You would never believe it but today on the drive down to Mancora we passed a van with British Columbia plates. Lots of Canadian motorbikes go by as well from time to time.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 01-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Default Didn't end well indeed.

His custom built fishing boat Pillar is up on blocks in the Bass Pro store just off the highway at the top of the keys. It's top speed was 7 knots. He worked in Toronto with Greg Clark at the Star.

At only 61 years, a life long smoker, he shot himself with a shot gun.

A very sad ending for a man with such great talent. When in TO he used to challenge the other writers to boxing matches and Clarke was too small Earnest was a heavyweight, I think that it was Hugh Maclennan was his sparing partner who was able to KO Earnest. MacLennan was a Rhodes Scholar who it seems could box.