Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Lake Newell Derby

Default Lake Newell Derby

I thought these derbys were supposed to be catch and release. I have been told and know a person with pics which I will post that the #2 fish was killed and kept for a mount. I have no problem with this at all i just thought they were catch and release.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 PM
jrs

They showed the winner toast during photo-ops on the news the other night. The thing was getting pretty beat up by the looks of it.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
re

Default re

Yeah my dads got pics at work and some how knows the girl who caught the fish. She is apparently getting it stuffed. I figure I will mount any pike I catch over 25lbs. My buddy is kicking himself for not mounting the 25lber he got from badger last year. It was his first pike ever so we kept it. He wanted to mount it at the time but ended up eating it instead. For such a big fish it was very good eating.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
big ones the best

Default big ones the best

They are the best eating easy to debone and only kill one fish for a couple feeds.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 PM
staytuned

Default Catch 'n release

I'm not sure just how this is supposed to work exactly. On the regulations from my Newell entry, it says that this is a catch & release derby, then at the end it says the largest fish becomes property of the Brooks Kiwanis Club. Hmmm, I don't get it? It also says that any pike under 15 lbs or 36" will not be accepted at the weigh in & must be released. I know the guy that won got to keep his fish for mounting & I also know that the all of the other fish in contention were kept, NOT released! Not to be a hater, because its always a great derby with lots of opportunity & prizes, but what exactly do these rules mean?