Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Been out the last 2 days with a buddy. We have killed 13 so far. Pics to come soon!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Got out for 3 stands today...this one came in on the first stand at about the 4 minute mark...I let him keep coming in until he was only about 30yds out when I dropped him. Missed one on the second stand and the 3rd was a blank. I was using my 7mm this time, just going through the gun cabinet and planning on sending a few rounds through every one of my guns. Looking forward to this weekend, then the brakes are on yotes until the end of november while I focus on finding something to put on my wall

Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Good job 300magman! Nice pic! Don't forget the shotgun! One Of my goals is to hammer one with the shotty and #4 buck this year!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah man, it's awesome getting 'em with the shotgun...I've had a couple this yr that i could have shotty'd, i just haven't had it with me, I gotta stop being so lazy and just bring it...

By the sounds of it, you certainly wont have any trouble smacking a few with the shotty, congrats to you and your buddy and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 PM

My buddy and I have killed 15 yotes over the last 3 days. Vist this link for the stories on all the hunts! http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/s...-Contest/page3

Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 PM

^^^

Nice haul...wow
Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!! What a trip Kale!!!!! Huge Congrats Man, thats a hell of a pile of yotes!!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Default First of the Year

I got this one the other weekend stalking our dogs playing in the yard. By the time I got out there he was starting to take off. A quick whistle followed by a shot from my .270 at 75 yards fixed my problem. More to come I am sure!

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 PM

looks like a good trip kale that one is pretty good size to
Old 10-22-2011, 05:43 AM

I'm on the board with a single yesterday.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Another behind the house.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Me and an old friend managed to get out this morning for 5 stands, it was great, because due to family commitments and conflicting work schedules, we haven't been able to hunt together for almost a year. The morning started out a bit on the bad side, with my friend realizing he had forgotten his bullets and would have to use my gun, so we were down to one gun right out of the gates....the first 3 stands were blanks, then on the third stand, we called out this double at about the 7 minute mark, i dropped the large male at about 115yds, and the female just kept charging in (didnt even break stride when the male went down) and I shot her at about 20yds (one day I really will bring my shotgun Kale!!). On the 5th stand, we called out a single at 4 minutes, and my friend dropped him at 50yds, kept calling for about 10min after that but nothing else showed up...all in all, a good morning with a great friend! We were both using my .300 mag and a foxpro fx3 for calling.

my double

my friends single

Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM

took the kid on a drive tonight we did a spot and stalk on this one with the 50 cal muzzleloader shot him at 180 yards Kid was sure excited.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Default #3 and 4

The wife let me out yesterday. As I approached my first stand there was an at least 200 inch mule deer 170yards grazing, didn't even care I was there. Any way called in 2 but they hung up at 169 yards, easy shot but the grass was in the way and it was full frontal. Tried coaxing but nothing, I watched them leave rather than smarten those two up. I thought they'd be hungrier but there were still gophers out. I'll get them later.
Next stand, I was over a coulee with the coyotes barking from their cave/den and wouldn't come out for nothing., not even a distressed pup, sheesh.
Third stand was easy, as I walked in and jumped a coyote sleeping in the grass, he ran through the cows and into the open, I barked and he stopped at 225 yards looked back and I was the last thing he saw. He was a mangy critter though.The farmer was saying he's been seeing a lot of mangy ones lately.
Couple more stands but the coyotes were just not interested. I was watching them sitting at 7-800 yards and just looking but not very interested, twice that happened. It was getting frustrating.
Last stand this little guy came from across a pasture I think it was canola(hard stems,really noisy) into some really nice green stuff (it was the only patch of anything green anywhere). Well he stopped at 60 yards head on and that was that.Saw 6 and managed 2, a couple magpies and a gopher for fun.

Cheers

Old 10-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Some of you guys are getting some good looking coyotes and putting together some great pics as well. It is a talent so often overlooked.

You guys better shake your bootie. I'm going out Wed and Thurs for the first time this year I've been holding back waiting for fur. Time to put some on the ground.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Default Finally On The Board!!!

Well I have made a few stands this year but got out early this morning for an all day hunt. I got in to my first spot which the landowners called me to get rid of some yotes as they are getting over run. I set the FoxPro out and walked back to the fence line and sat on the end post. The remote has a timer on it so I started it when I set the caller out. I sat down and let the Lightning Jack rip. At 3 mins I spoted a big dog racing straight at me. I tried barking at him to get him to stop but he kept on running. I got him at 60 yards at 3:19. I called for another 25 mins then moved on. I was going to skin him quick but on closer inspection he had a nasty festering wound on the middle of his back so I left him. Here is the picture of him and a bad one of the wound.

The wound

I went to the next stand and set up in a really bad spot. I could see a dog at the top of the hill trying to see what was making the noise but lost sight of him after only a minute of calling. Then at 5 mins another one came FLYING out of the long grass about 20 yards up wind from me. He saw me but didn't know what I was. I was trying not to move too fast and finally got him in the crosshairs and CLICK... I had a round chambered but the firing pin didn't contact the primer. Brutal. 2 more stands for the day and didn't see anything.

How often do you guys call the same spot? And how often do you call a spot where you have shot one?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM

Default 1st and 2nd Yote of the Season

After working a night shift decided to stay up and go calling with my son. As it turned out it was a good decision, we set up and started calling. With in a couple minutes saw movement on the tree line 700 yards away so grabbed the binoculars and discovered it was the neighbors dogs so we settled down and then called this one in. The .204 Weatherby sent a pill straight to her heart and she dropped instantly. The Second one we spot and stalked for an hour and some and finally got ahead of him but he turned around and wondered off the other direction. So we ran back towards the yard and scared him out of the trees. I tried yelping at him but he would not even look back so my son hit him with his 22-250 at 200 yards on a dead run. Was a great day.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Relaxing Day

Well after the passing of my Mother on Tuesday My Step-Dad and I needed a day in the field to clear our heads....

Funny story with this one, we set up on a dug out burm, with the dugout behind us.....I had just picked up a rabbit decoy and wanted to try it out. We set up roughly 15 yards apart and layed down on the top of the burm. I called for about 5-7 minutes and for some reason I had a feeling to look behind.....there was a coyote drinking at the dug out 55 yards from where we lay. I wispered to my Dad.....there is one.....but he was handcuffed......so I swung around and peg this one with a head shot....didn't even need the decoy. 90gr B-tip from my .240WBY.

This one was another funny story....we set up on a hill top looking out to an area that is known to hold coyotoes. So I put out my little rabbit decoy.....and the wind was insane, felt like 50mph straight in our faces.....I am 10 yards from my dad and I start calling.....well I call for 15 seconds, and I tuck my call in my jacket and I look up to a dogs face staring me down from 15 yards away....can only see the head. He looks at me, then at the decoy, then back at me.....I tell Dad.....theres one.....he can just see the ears from where he is in the tall grass but decides where the head is and shoots......done deal 45gr out of the .22-250. We did not expect to have a dog come in from after only 15 secs of calling.....I mean we just set up but the wind was so bad, I think he was sleeping and never heard us.

Was a great day to get out even though it was super windy, we left early, and I missed one..... Dropped both dogs off at the local farmers place and had a visit, he likes to skin and sell them so its a win/win for us. We also had some good chats about my Mom and how much she will be missed.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-29-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Well, I got out today to kick off the season. Went to explore some new country down on the Milk River Ridge. Man alive is it ever hard to spot those coyotes in the natural grasslands when there's no snow on the ground. I walked within 40 yards of one and didn't even see him in the grass in front of me until he took off.
I called these two in and managed to get them both. I've got doubles before, but always with help from a second shooter, so I was pretty happy to knock them both down by myself. I let them get to 65 yards before dropping the first one, then managed to stop the second one when he was out at 350 yards. Dropped him too.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM

Got out today with 2 friends for a few sets. The first 2 were blanks, then on the third, this nice female came in slowly at the 3 minute mark to about 70 yds where my friend dropped her...he just bought a new Tikka T3 .300mag for rifle season, and this was the first animal he shot with it (just bought it and sighted in on thursday), so the goal for the day was already accomplished.

On the fourth stand, we called out a double at about 13 minutes, and I was in the best spot for the shot. I dropped the closer one at about 60yds, and never got a shot at the double, and neither one of my buddies could see the second one until it was too late (the second one had hung up at about 150yds on the way in, and made it over a ridge before I could get a second shot off). Two down now!

The 4th and 5th stands of the day were both blanks, but we did spook one going into the 5th, just never got off a shot. For the 6th stand, we went to an area we had had permission on for quite some time, just had never called before. My one friend who hadn't pulled the trigger yet was on point, and me and the other guy would watch the downwind and backdoor. We knew that there were yotes in the area as we had gotten them to howl earlier. About 2 minutes after the first call, we hear the friend on point take a shot...we looked at him and got the thumbs-down, a clean miss. While we were "hand signalling" back and forth, I hadn't been watching my area, and when I turned around to take a look, there was a single female coming in HARD. I tried barking to stop her before she ran us over, but she wasn't slowing down so I took her at 20yds. Let the call keep playing and about a minute later, heard another shot from the guy on point..another miss on a double. The double swung around and started heading over in my and my other friends direction, and at 50 yds the guy I was sitting with took one of the pair...I missed the double at 70yds max (yote fever at this point I think)! That was it for action on this set.

Pretty good day for how windy it was this morning! I was using a ruger m77 .300 mag, the other buddy who got a couple was using his new Tikka .300mag, and as always the trusty FX3.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Default No 5

Got out this morning for a bit. First 2 sets were no shows. The third set was the back side of a bush lot that I knew held coyotes. Set the call on the fence and at about the 3 min mark 3 came out of the bush. Two immediately took off (don't know why), but the third just stood there looking around. She was at 167 yards when I shot her, she spun for a bit and ran back into the bush. I knew it was a good hit, and I found her about 10 feet inside the tree line.
Next couple were a bust and the last of the day was new to me. Set up and bumped a bug mulie buck, and at about the 6 in mark a one coyote came out. I should have ranged him, but of course I didn't cause he started to walk away.. I thought he was further so I adjusted accordingly, I should have just put the cross hairs on him and killed him. Turns out I gave him 2 warning shots, one right over his back, and one on his heels as he turned on the jets.Gosh I hate missing.
Anyway one for the day.

Cheers
Tullfan

Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM

good job guys... putting alot of the yotes down for the dirt nap i see. Cant wait until after Deer season
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Decided I would do one quick stand before heading in for breakfast after the morning deer hunt today. This one came in to cottontail distress at about 4 minutes. I watched it come in for almost a mile, which you can't normally do around here because of how bushy it is, so that was pretty cool. I wish it was a big ol' whitey, but what can you do!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Well not like I will be keeping up with this 300 fella above me! lol

But I took my boy out for his second hunt the other day and we stumbled upon this young yote. He took off running and as quickly I could load my .17hmr I hit him the first time on a dead run at 75yds and then a second time at 100yds. That's where he piled up. First shot behind the ribs and second was the death blow, right in the wheel house! I was happy and the boy who will be 4 in Dec was excited to touch it, then asked if we could let it go to its family now? Wasn't ready for that! lol

Trev
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Got out again today. Pretty slow, walked and called all day long and only saw two coyotes. But I managed to get them both. One at 250 yards and the other at 200.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Good job guys!! I'm getting a rash waiting for the fur to get better.

There's lots of coyotes around but it takes as much effort to skin a poor one as a prime one.

Whether you skin or not it sure helps the fawns in the spring and the deer/antelope at the end of a hard winter, not to mention all the game birds.

Keep stacking them up.
x2 wack em stack em
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Default #3 Of The Season

Was out today with the Cooter, saw 9 Yotes who were all very skidish. I was only able to shoot at this male with one shot and sent him into a death spin and took off only to pile up 40 yards away on the edge of the bush. Very long day but still had a good time.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Was out deer hunting tonight with my good old rem 700 in 7mm. Deer sighting have been few and far between this year so I just wasn't feeling it so when this old guy walked in I thought I would help some fawns the fallowing spring. He walked behind a knoll, I raised my rifle mouth called and he crested the hill. The rest is history. Really nice old yote with great colors.

By the looks of this old would he might old had a few rough days in his past.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Here is another one called in to snowshoe distress after the morning deer hunt on Thursday...I am gonna mount this one as I have been looking for quite a while for one to do a full body on, and this is the colour and size I was looking for. Also, center punched it in the chest at 35 yds so no exit hole (the .300 can be a little hard on them, lol). Did 2 other stands that were blanks thursday.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Default No 6

Was out this am deer hunting, blew the only good shot I had. 200 yards on a doe, easy shot laying on a berm, deep breath and bang, SCOPE EYE. Blood on my face, missed the deer (don't know how, but I checked where she was standing, clear miss.Must have been the combo laying down and scope position duh, anyway first time in 20 something years.
Anyway the coyote was sneaking across the pasture at 175 yards, put my shooting sticks up and down he went. Punched a hole in the middle of him, and a great big exit hole. No scope eye. I don't know. It might show up in the picture.

Tullfan