Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM

Wait.......

What????
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfriend View Post
Please. You are a moderator.
Does that disqualify him from thinking ones viewpoint is weak?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Please what? You think a moderator cant think outside of a set of guidelines ? Welcome to 2013.. we are just getting warmed up.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I thought a moderator was supposed to do just that, mediate a situation, not try to start a fight, I guess I am wrong, sorry abb my bad.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Your the only one trying to start a fight. Your so bitter towards me from your suspension. Most take it and move on. But not you. You seem to think you are so much better than others.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 PM

I have a tiny Stradivarius in my hand actually it's my thumb and pointing finger. Anybody need to borrow it?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Please what? You think a moderator cant think outside of a set of guidelines ? Welcome to 2013.. we are just getting warmed up.
No, I think the differences in opinion is what makes this board so great!

Maybe I should have phrased it more as a feedback. I believe that as a mod, you are in a perceived leadership role, which automatically gives your comments more weight - rightly or wrongly. On a sensitive topic like this, especially if its near and dear to your heart, I can only imagine that it is a fine line balancing personal opinion with moderating a thread and not throwing weight around. Go back to the posts above and give it a read, maybe you see what I mean.

This is meant as a positive, constructive comment going forward. Apologies if my earlier post was not clear.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
No, I think the differences in opinion is what makes this board so great!

Maybe I should have phrased it more as a feedback. I believe that as a mod, you are in a perceived leadership role, which automatically gives your comments more weight - rightly or wrongly. On a sensitive topic like this, especially if its near and dear to your heart, I can only imagine that it is a fine line balancing personal opinion with moderating a thread and not throwing weight around. Go back to the posts above and give it a read, maybe you see what I mean.

This is meant as a positive, constructive comment going forward. Apologies if my earlier post was not clear.
As far as banning .. editing.. deleting sold items.. infracting insults... tracking down scammers and repeat trouble making bannees..... and all the other stuff we do.. like settling fights between members....especially on sour buy sell deals...thats fine and dandy.... but we are entitled to be like everyone else. There is no reason we cant join a discussion with the rest of everyone else.. and get heated up just because we are a moderator. There are guys constantly single out Keg... and myself... and yes we notice we may jump in and be one of the guys more than the others. Its almost like you guys view us as a set of guidelines that should hide in the shadows and speak when spoken to. Lol
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Actually some other non treaty person can come out and assist you after you kill the animal but in no way can they interrupt or help out when the hunt is happening they can only follow you and watch. But they sure can help you carry the meat out and dress it as long as they are with you the entire time, I asked a conservation officer this question because when I first started I was iffy on the rules of treaty status hunting. My dad helps me pack out my animal every year we go out together and he isn't the treaty native he's completely white, it's my mom side that is the native half of me ^.^
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Thanks, I thought a moderator was supposed to do just that, mediate a situation, not try to start a fight, I guess I am wrong, sorry abb my bad.
Actually that is not part of our job description but it is part of our nature.
Some do it one way, some another.

For those who have lived with prejudice all their lives, starting to see prejudice where there is none is not uncommon.

Not saying anyone is doing that here, just that some may be expecting it to happen. You perhaps?

We all know native hunting is a touchy subject, for all.
Doesn't matter which side of the subject one is on, all have reason to feel they are not being heard.

It seems to me the only way out is for all to accept that it is a touchy subject for good reason, on both sides, and conduct themselves accordingly.

I think this community is capable of doing that.

And for the record. I have no native blood in me, and my wife and xwife had no native blood in them either, but I grew up with native and metis neighbors.
We were school mates, best friends, hunting and fishing buddies, and at times bitter enemies. Just like any other kids of any race.

I think that is the most important thing for both sides to remember. Whichever side you are on, the other guy is no different then you, on the inside. He just has different color skin and different life experiences.

You non native fellows, most of you would be happy to hunt without a license and tags if you could, wouldn't you?

And you native and metis fellows, you know all too well what it is like to see others granted access to things you can only dream of.
I have no doubt you understand our point of view far better then we understand yours.

I have no doubt that we can learn to understand each other, and learn to live together. Others have done it, and we here on AO are as capable of anyone anywhere.

I know the native fellows can do it cause they already have. They have come to our cities and worked with us on our jobs.

How many of us have gone to live on a reserve, or hunted with a native, or for that matter even just sat down and visited with a native.

Not many from what I have experienced. That's too bad, maybe if we did we would see that they are us. With a different life.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-17-2013, 02:04 AM

We had 4000 acres of land not long ago scattered throughout Sask, some of it very close to an indian reserve, we received many phone calls from natives to hunt on our land which was always granted, in turn they looked after our land for us when we weren't farming it , which was a lot because we lived 120 km away. We had many issues with poaching and 99% was from my fair skinned brethren. Thanks to the friendly native folks from that reserve three men were caught and charged through the years, all reported by the natives. When we decided to sell off the land the reserve got first dibs on the land and we ended up selling it to them for a reduced cost because of their kindness throughout the 20 years we farmed that land. I personally believe the natives of Canada have more than earned their hunting privileges. Do some take advantage, sure they do, do some poach, yes. But that's the human in them not the race.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Do some take advantage, sure they do, do some poach, yes. But that's the human in them not the race.

Well said.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Not positive, but I think he might have meant if the white guy had no tags or license maybe? In that case there would be some hot water I think.
Yes thats exactly what I meant.I dont know how it works in AB,but i'm retty certain that in NB at least(where we have a very long wait to draw for a 3day moose season)that I'm not allowed to accompany or assist my native buddy with retreival.It just makes it too easy for cheaters if one wanted to poach a moose out of season(362 days of the year)if all you need to do is bring your status buddy along to claim it,or go shoot one then go get yer status bud after the fact for worry free retreival.
I guess I've never considered an honest scenario,where say I was deer hunting with my status bud,and he shoots a moose.....now what??I really dont know the answer,neither for AB nor NB?As far as I know though in NB at least,it would ne best for me to distance myself from that scene.....sorry bud,yer on yer own??
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You non native fellows, most of you would be happy to hunt without a license and tags if you could, wouldn't you?
Many do...
Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I have been reading the other native reserve thread and some one stated that status natives can hunt anytime any where. My wife is a full status indian from the Queen Charelette islands and hunts. She has a wildlife certificate and buys tags. Is it true that she doesn't need a wildlife certificate and tags to hunt crown land? I always thought that natives could only hunt reserves anytime and crown land during the hunting season. Maybe I am confused with metis indians.
My first thought was "she's status and doesn't know her hunting rights? Hmm Looks like a stick stirring the pot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Yes you are confused with Metis... i was going to say more... but.. i reallynhave a hard time believing that if she is treaty status...that she is un aware of her hunting options. Im treaty status.. and mny members heee are as well.. just 95% of them dont make it known due to obvious reasons.
Then I seen I wasn't the only one.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
Many do...
Not me I would just like to see equality for all!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
You already have a good job,any chance you could hire me?LOL
Its aborignals rights to hunt the lands. Enough said. Who cares. I am from Ontario, I only wish hunting was so damn good like alberta. You can shoot 5-6 big game here buying a general tag and supps. Give me a break with all the whinning... its easy to bag something here. We have it good and are lucky. I hunt right beside a reserve with no harvesting problems every year... suck it up ya bunch of princesses. Things won't change and stop with the racism already too.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

Sorry meant to reply to the whole thread not buddies comment... my bad
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I personally don't give a rats arse, native, metis, white, green or blue just please after the breeding seasons of these big game animals you pursue do not kill the does, cows as you will be taking more than one animal and thus not sustaining the future.

Also only take what you will eat and do not get greedy for that is when you turn from a hunter to a slob!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Sure can....can use a rifle anytime.

Actually a funny story....I was out hunting with my bow in early September near Whitecourt one trip years ago when I came up on a guy on a quad with a rifle...

We were chit chatting a bit and he said, bit of a role reversal hey...I said how so?

He said, "white skin man with a bow and red skin man with a rifle..." we had a chuckle and went about our business.

LC
Had the same thing happen too, great guy and off we went on our pursue of meat and memories!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Its aborignals rights to hunt the lands. Enough said. Who cares. I am from Ontario, I only wish hunting was so damn good like alberta. You can shoot 5-6 big game here buying a general tag and supps. Give me a break with all the whinning... its easy to bag something here. We have it good and are lucky. I hunt right beside a reserve with no harvesting problems every year... suck it up ya bunch of princesses. Things won't change and stop with the racism already too.
The whole thread is about things that ARE changing. Read the 1st post and not the last if you are going to comment on a thread instead of just bashing people.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Banned

Yea things are changing, but treaty hunting is never going away. If any thing more land and area are being used, and boundaries largened and extended. So ppl need to deal with it. We have it good hear. We don't need to group hunt and go 15 hours north to get big game here. I am done.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Yea things are changing, but treaty hunting is never going away. If any thing more land and area are being used, and boundaries largened and extended. So ppl need to deal with it. We have it good hear. We don't need to group hunt and go 15 hours north to get big game here. I am done.
Best thing you've said yet.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM

I am just starting the process of getting my status as a law was struck down denying me. I honestly didn't know about hunting rights until a person my wife worked with had told her about it.

I would buy my tags just like I did before I become status. It is such a small amount of money really and only helps all of hunting. I will admit it will be nice to go out a couple of weeks before or after the season.

For me I will treat it for what it is a special privilege because of my heritage. However my father didn't become status till he was 70. Documents were lost in a fire at a church, as well there was no birth certificate for my grandmother. Sometimes there are many flaming hoops to jump through.

Remember there were many things denied to natives, commercial fishing in BC, being able to dispute land claims etc. Over the years there have been more laws denying rights than giving rights.

Just my 2 cents
Larry
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Edit:Just read ypour next post.No worries.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM

I want equality for all Canadians.
No extra rights based on race.
It's hard to believe, but there are many things denied to my grandparents who have been here for 85 years.
They would be better off if they were new Canadians.

Our vets have it worse off than new Canadians.
I'm honesty tired of all the special interest groups.

We are amongst the highest taxed nations in the free world.
It's not so free living here if you are Caucasian and multi generation Canadian.
It seems like we are taxed to no end.
Every wonder why the wealthy have off shore accounts? Or holding companies?
They know how to stay taxed at low bracket.

If the money ran out to support all the special interest races, something would have to change. No?

Caucasions have been denied equality rights for too long.

Swidt?

I'm starting to wonder if my vote could be purchased as well.

While its fine to discuss on a forum, for there to be any change it has to be done on the hill. Or through control of your own finances.

Money is the root here.
I could be wrong though, it happened once before.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxx11 View Post
I for one usually stay away from these threads as well. It will always be an issue. Never fails around this time of year the same threads go up about the same bull**** and no, I'm not referring to the OP. As for his question it has been answered in last few posts.

Yes I am treaty and I do exercise my rights. I'm not ashamed of it either. It still shocks me that this day and age this crap still goes on that people need to bash aboriginal people. Yah it does go both ways but more times then not it's going towards my people. Somebody puts up a poaching thread and automatically "must be a native" I do know natives that poach, would I ever do it? Of course not, I enjoy the actual hunt just as much if not more then the animal taken. I also know a lot more non-aborignal people that do in fact poach. It would be funny if you knew how many people wanted me to take an animal the taxidermist for them, or bring me along in case we see a moose..

My father isn't into hunting and I was taken under the wing of my friends family when it came to hunting. They are a Caucasian family and growing up hunting with these fine folks, having great trips hunting and learning the ropes brought me up in a different light of this topic. Joining this site a few years ago really opened up my eyes as to how many people dislike aboriginal hunting. I couldn't believe it.

Funny thing, I was down elk hunting south of suffield base a month ago and I got permission to hunt on a farmers land. He gladly gave me permission even knowing my background, really nice folks down that way may I add. I was successful in harvesting an elk. When he showed up to see what I got he told me I should have taken 2 or 3. I laughed and said "you don't hear that everyday." Then told him 1 is sufficient for me. There isn't really a point to this story, just wanted to share how different some peoples views are on the whole topic.

Anyway that's enough rambling for now.
Well said Draxx11, I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoes View Post
I am just starting the process of getting my status as a law was struck down denying me. I honestly didn't know about hunting rights until a person my wife worked with had told her about it.

I would buy my tags just like I did before I become status. It is such a small amount of money really and only helps all of hunting. I will admit it will be nice to go out a couple of weeks before or after the season.

For me I will treat it for what it is a special privilege because of my heritage. However my father didn't become status till he was 70. Documents were lost in a fire at a church, as well there was no birth certificate for my grandmother. Sometimes there are many flaming hoops to jump through.

Remember there were many things denied to natives, commercial fishing in BC, being able to dispute land claims etc. Over the years there have been more laws denying rights than giving rights.

Just my 2 cents
Larry
Well put Larry, and worth more than 2 cents IMHO
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Not me I would just like to see equality for all!!!
X about a million. We are all Albertan. We all like to hunt and fish. Should be one set of rules for everybody in this day and age.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

Three whole pages and so far only one suspension and no bans.

Hmmm... thats probably an improvement.
Maybe folks are starting to see the other guys side of things.
Closed Thread