Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Float Tube Users - PFDs?

Just curious as to what kind of PFDs to you guys use when using a float tube. I've had an old tire tube type Caddis Belly boat that I've used for years, and I have never (perhaps foolishly) used a PFD while using it.

I just upgraded my old Caddis tube to a new pontoon type float tube, and I've been thinking about picking up one of the self inflating type PFDs. They are pricey though, and I like to wear my fishing vest while fishing. What kind of PFD are you using, or are you using one?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

Safety trumps my fly vest, lots of pockets in mine to keep flies and gear in.

I use a standard issue crappy tire special PFD, doesn't get in the way at all. Try a few on in a store, sit in a chair and check for your own movement.

Getting whipped around in the wind is fun sometimes, near got flipped a few times by arsehole boaters looking for a laugh wondering how the tube will hold up to a good wake. Almost had a fish yank me out of it, if you can believe that. Not a great swimmer and I don't want to know what it's like to tread water with full waders to be honest.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Not using one. My float tube has more than one bladder. Hopefully if one leaks out, I can use the other to get to shore.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

A conservation officer, gave me a warning for not having a life jacket in my belly boat. Said that fisheries and oceans, did a seminar with CO, F and W, and park wardens and said it was mandatory in a belly boat, pontoon boat does not matter it is a boat.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM

I always wear one of these.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 PM

i am using a kayak PFDs
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
I always wear one of these.
These, or similar, is what I was thinking about.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbotism View Post
i am using a kayak PFDs
I didn't know that there were kayak specific PFDs, so I googled it. I take it they are designed for cramped spaces by the looks of them? How are they for comfort?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Another option is fishing vests with the PFD air bladder and inflation device built right into the vest out of sight and out of the way. Lots of pockets on it like any other vest. Not a bad price for what you're getting. They are made by mustang.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00MER View Post
Not using one. My float tube has more than one bladder. Hopefully if one leaks out, I can use the other to get to shore.
You should put that to the test before actually needing to prove it. My tube has 2 bladders, had a leak once and it was difficult getting back to shore with all the gear.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Here ya go if it's your size:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=216864

-Confucius
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Default If you are floating and not in a swimming area....

PFD of proper size must be present.

The inflatables are great!!!!!! And well with the money.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nympher View Post
Another option is fishing vests with the PFD air bladder and inflation device built right into the vest out of sight and out of the way. Lots of pockets on it like any other vest. Not a bad price for what you're getting. They are made by mustang.
You might want to check into this as the Mustang fishing vest PFD is NOT certified, at least it was not in the recent past as I found the following on the Mustang WEB site now.
"Why are your Inflatable fishing vests not approved? The MD1165 (Deluxe Inflatable Fisherman Vest) and the MIV-10 (Inflatable Fisherman Vest) do not carry approvals from either Transport Canada or Canadian Coast Guard."

Taken from http://www.mustangsurvival.com/sites...%20Feb2012.pdf

Last edited by cube; 04-30-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
You might want to check into this as the Mustang fishing vest PFD is NOT certified, at least it was not in the recent past as I found the following on the Mustang WEB site now.
"Why are your Inflatable fishing vests not approved? The MD1165 (Deluxe Inflatable Fisherman Vest) and the MIV-10 (Inflatable Fisherman Vest) do not carry approvals from either Transport Canada or Canadian Coast Guard."

Taken from http://www.mustangsurvival.com/sites...%20Feb2012.pdf
As float tubes do not fall under any definition of boat, there are no requirements for PFD's and I merely mentioned it as another option for a person who was clearly interested in safety options specific to float tubes.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Last edited by cube; 05-01-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nympher View Post
As float tubes do not fall under any definition of boat, there are no requirements for PFD's and I merely mentioned it as another option for a person who was clearly interested in safety options specific to float tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
A conservation officer, gave me a warning for not having a life jacket in my belly boat. Said that fisheries and oceans, did a seminar with CO, F and W, and park wardens and said it was mandatory in a belly boat, pontoon boat does not matter it is a boat.

I only mentioned "You might want to check into this as the Mustang fishing vest PFD is NOT certified" because I though the OP should know before he purchased one thinking he could wear it and be in compliance with PFD requirements.

I don't know if Belly boats need PFD's or not but nick0danger above believes so. Hence my suggestion that he check into this before hand, that's all

Last edited by cube; 05-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I only mentioned "You might want to check into this as the Mustang fishing vest PFD is NOT certified" because I though the OP should know before he purchased one thinking he could wear it and be in compliance with PFD requirements.

I don't know if Belly boats need PFD's or not but nick0danger above believes so. Hence my suggestion that he check into this before hand, that's all
I had a CO tell me I had to wear a PFD too so nick isn't the only one. Not sure what the law actually is because I've had license checks done while in my bellyboat, but they said nothing about not wearing a PFD.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I had a CO tell me I had to wear a PFD too so nick isn't the only one. Not sure what the law actually is because I've had license checks done while in my bellyboat, but they said nothing about not wearing a PFD.
He said I did not have to wear it just had to be in the boat (on my fishcat i could toss it behind the seat) that said i bought a nice comfy one and wear it.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 PM

PFD is a good idea. Had a zipper fail on my first belly boat and the shell came off the tube. My waders filled with water so I was tangled in belly boat with anchors for legs. If I wasn't wearing a PFD I probably would've drowned.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM

I use the PFD belt.http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recre...071?country=23
Works great for me.