Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=H380;2702574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post

Help us out and tell us what zones we can buy these tags in that will give us a shot at a 400" bull ?
A guy with half a shot at killing an elk would already know this
Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=SmokinJoe;2702547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
The problem is there is people that have been waiting and applying faithfully for 10+ years of there life waiting for that tag ..Why should the be ripped off and cheated out of there chances for a decent once in a life time hunt ? Guess the government should give those 21,000 people that apply there ,their money back for there draw applications hey ? Hahaha[/

Did you know that you can buy a general elk tag every year?
Except there is no general season for elk on the land bordering Suffied, so you can't hunt those trophy elk without waiting over 10 years to draw a tag.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Banned

Like I said I didn't see any natives in suffield helping out to take care of the wild horses when they were there or head after them with a gun for subsistence hunting ..So why go now when theres trophy bulls to be had .

Just greed and poor ethics I guess.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=SmokinJoe;2702577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

A guy with half a shot at killing an elk would already know this
Not much of an answer ..
Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;2702578]
Quote:

Except there is no general season for elk on the land bordering Suffied, so you can't hunt those trophy elk without waiting over 10 years to draw a tag.
The reason the vast majority of guys put in for it is because they have no clue how to kill one anywhere else. Your chance of blind luck killing a big one is substantially greater than in other areas.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:

The reason the vast majority of guys put in for it is because they have no clue how to kill one anywhere else. Your chance of blind luck killing a big one is substantially greater than in other areas.
So is that why those native hunters from Saskatchewan went to Suffield when they could hunt anywhere else, whenever they choose?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So is that why those native hunters from Saskatchewan went to Suffield when they could hunt anywhere else, whenever they choose?
Look at a map and see how close Saskatchewan is to suffield.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
So your telling me that there wasn't any other animals between Saskatchewan and suffield ? Really?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
look at the map and see how close Prince Albert is to Brazeau River.. both moot points....
Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
You avoided the question.

You posted the statement below;

Quote:
Now does that statement apply only to non natives, or does it apply to natives as well?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Anybody got any actual proof of these 400 kills, links, ESRD statements, news stories, pictures? All I see is a truck with CWD heads in it....
It is discussed at the morning briefings. No pictures allowed on the base so I won't post the others I've seen floating around as why promote illegal activity. Briefing last week they mentioned one guy shooting 12 bulls and used it as a warning not to get greedy as the military won't help if you're excuse is you shot too many. I never saw reefer trucks like you mention in other posts, just a few flatdecks and a dump trailer full. Bit insulting how many guys swear this is all made up, many many people were there to see it first hand. This happened in November too, I thought it was all public knowledge already. I'm sure it will be addressed tomorrow morning as the hunt goes on. I know one subsistence harvester from town here is going again, got a big one last week but would like at least a few more. He had never shot an elk on his card prior to this. It wasn't as bad last year as there weren't 100 extra hunters out every week.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 PM

How is it illegal?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:

Now does that statement apply only to non natives, or does it apply to natives as well?
If you were out to feed your family, would you go take a gamble on maybe or go to suffield for a forsure?

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 01-18-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:

X2
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Anybody got any actual proof of these 400 kills, links, ESRD statements, news stories, pictures? All I see is a truck with CWD heads in it....
X3
Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 PM

we are all concerned about conservation and game management both natives and non natives alike . It is widely accepted and talked about and agreed upon that ESRD has limited funds for doing this . As I understand it , the ministers tags are sold with the idea of raising funds for game management , habitat enhancement etc .. in other words a good thing . I have no idea what the elk tag sells for each year at auction but I'm sure it is a sizeable amount and it allows a hunter the opportunity to hunt elk virtually anywhere in the province ,hunting zones is what I'm talking about .Gonna go way out on a limb here and ask a question : Lets assume the ministers tag for elk sells for $100,000 , the buyer harvests a 400" bull near the base and has in essence donated $100,000 to game management . How much money could the province have collected if these large bulls that have been taken there recently were harvested under a purchased tag situation ?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=SmokinJoe;2702586]
Quote:

What happened to this??

Quote:
Who cares if it's about trophy or not? Why wouldn't First Nations people have a right to put the skills handed down to them over thousands of years to the test and honor the people who have handed them down through taking mature animals that are harder to get than a young one.

Get over the greed
Kinda sounds like that knowledge isn't worth much if they have to go to Suffield because the chances are so good hey?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM

Pictures are not permitted on sfb suffield without permission from a high ranking official. National security kind of stuff, emphasized at the daily briefing and on the waivers.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 PM

So no one takes a quick cell pic? Nobody sees these dump trucks full of dead Bulls heading down the road and snaps a pic? None of these native hunters post it on fbook?
In this day and age of social media?
I have no doubt there are abuses but contrary to what you posted ....still legal
Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
How is it illegal?
No one is saying its illegal ,there saying its un ethical , and I am sorry for what ever post I man have wrote down that had you report me and have me warned to be kicked off site Kanonfodder pretty low blow but hey do what you must.

Some people I guess just don't and cant handle the truth.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
So no one takes a quick cell pic? Nobody sees these dump trucks full of dead Bulls heading down the road and snaps a pic? None of these native hunters post it on fbook?
I have no doubt there are abuses but contrary to what you posted ....still legal
Again just un-ethical
Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
If you were out to feed your family, would you go take a gamble on maybe getting one, or go to a place where it's next to gaurenteed?

Anyhow I have a hunt to get ready for. Have a nice night folks.

Definitely won't be posting on here anymore, going to deactivate.

Squeak I genuinely hope when you come home tomorow your mother runs out from under the porch and bites your ankle. I now know why guys like cat pulled the pin.
So once again, you avoided the question. You make scathing accusations about the hunters that wait many years to draw a tag for the privilege of hunting a trophy elk on the land around the base, but you won't come out and admit that your accusations might also apply to the native hunters that went to hunt at Suffield.
Based on your posts on this thread, I find it very easy to understand why the Alberta government won't support your ideas for managing our wildlife.

Quote:
What happened to this??
Did you really expect him to answer? Only now he has messed up the quote to make it appear that I made the statement.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-18-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
No one is saying its illegal ,there saying its un ethical , and I am sorry for what ever post I man have wrote down that had you report me and have me warned to be kicked off site Kanonfodder pretty low blow but hey do what you must.

Some people I guess just don't and cant handle the truth.
How is letting a heard get to an unhealthy number ethical?

How is hammering a prego cow ethical?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

Are you suggesting they should have allocated bull tags instead of cow tags?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Will it show up in a reefer, pulled by a black dodge dually with pool noodles in the windows?
Asking for a friend
Tell your friend to ask on his own, instead of creepin...lmao

and look past Suffield...this is bigger than Suffield!

I want my kids to have the chance at University...If the government paid for it for my kids too, it would help!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
There is some pictures on facebook. I thought it disrespectful to snap photos of others elk without permission at the gas station on the way home. I really wish it was all made up, I really really do. Does nothing for first nations getting along with hunters. Have you not seen any other photos aside from the pickup full?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
There is some pictures on facebook. I thought it disrespectful to snap photos of others elk without permission at the gas station on the way home. I really wish it was all made up, I really really do. Does nothing for first nations getting along with hunters. Have you not seen any other photos aside from the pickup full?
Actually there was a picture posted on this very forum of a fancy Ford reportedly leaving the block with large sets of elk antlers visible.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=ford

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-18-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:

By stopping reproduction that's how theres more cows then bulls simple math and is bulls are to be taken then they to should be open to the public and guys with the highest priority have the first kick at the cat and the guys with low priority move up the ladder its called being fair ..If there is people out there that actually need subsistence animals then by all means they are welcome to it .. those are living by ethics ..It was our tax money and donations that put those elk in the suffield area after the wild horses were removed so it should be a draw given out and fair to all .
Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 PM

Send me a link
Old 01-18-2015, 10:41 PM

Default Last weeks count

I got the official for the book records for the Elk taken in last weeks hunt. My office is right next to one of the individuals that keep count Total tagged hunters were 70, 6 cows taken but subsistence hunters 138 bulls taken and according to the guys a the check station most of the Bulls were of the smaller of the Bulls that live out here. I was out and about and saw several large groups of real big Bulls in the NWA. The govt isn't going to even attempt to stop them if a total of 2000 animals get taken that many more will hit the ground this spring. They would like to get the herd to managble size. And if involving natives then let it be so.
Closed Thread