Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
I know that some of us sound off on other provinces sometimes, but away from the keyboard I really don't know anyone here in Alberta (people I know anyway) that take it upon themselves to be deliberately rude to people from other provinces just because they are from another province, or a certain province.

I don't understand it really. Politics aside, being rude to people you don't know just because they from a certain place? Why?
You obviously haven't worn a Canucks jersey in Calgary...gets pretty rude pretty quick..lucky if you don't leave with a black eye...theres A-holes everywhere.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If people are being targeted because they're sporting an Alberta plate in B.C., which the OP and others have been, then why would they not hide it when possible when in B.C., unless they want additional cost and hassle?
Each to their own I guess. I still like to think that people shouldn't have to do this in our country....., and standing up to the bullies is the best route in the long run. IMHO
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Yah, I stopped fishing in BC about 10 years ago. The only time I go there now is for golf trips, and we bring all our food and booze with us.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't see much off a difference, it's offensive either way. Someone who is prepared make comments like that but not be prepared to say them in person is only afraid of the potential consequences / direct confrontation, kind of cowardly IMHO.

Because somebody is afraid of that confrontation and coming off the worse for it,
they will say it anonymously, or trash your vehicle when you're not looking.

Bottom line is some are ignorant, get over it and deal with it, it's life. And yes if you don't want to increase your chances of being targeted out of province (or anywhere away from home), park your vehicle with your plate hidden and don't unnecessarily raise your profile.
People spout off on forums all the time. I can tell you if someone started beaking me because I was from Alberta, I'd have NO reservation of telling them what I think to their face, in fact I have done just so, so no cowardice involved. You think it is okay to treat people from other places in the fashion posters have reported on this thread, because of some comments on a internet forum? There seems to be a deliberate distaste in BC from more than a few residents for Albertans that come there, but we should just get over it? Vehicles with Alberta plates being vandalized, but just "get over it". Would you say the same if people from BC were being targeted here in Alberta just because they are from BC? And a hockey game does not count, rival fans crap on each other all the time, this situation is different.

I'm just trying to understand why. I really don't feel that I'd be comfortable in BC now, which is a real shame considering we are all supposed to be Canadians.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Well I won't let someone else's bad experience persuade me from my upcoming BC road trip
I won't hide my Alberta plate either
Old 06-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Banned

Haven't had any issues sporting my plate several times a year everywhere from the Okanagan to Smithers, Vancouver to Kamloops. Wouldn't let one guys experience deter me...
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Banned

Albertans don't know that (many) people from bc hate them? I'm sorry but The perception is that Albertans drive like animals to bc, leave a wake of destruction and litter and then drive like animals back to Alberta. They are likened to rude Americans. I've lived in Kelowna, Vancouver and the kootenays and the perception is widespread.
Guys from Fernie call Albertans gorbies, or something like that haha.
I had lived in bc my whole life and recently moved to Calgary. I've learned that there are a lot of considerate drivers here with a few token douchebags.
It's the same old "a few bad apples" story. I think that people drive like animals because they're excited to start their holidays.
Not much you can do other than be considerate and don't fulfill their expectations of you. I now have a red plate, and i feel the heat when I'm visiting family back In bc.

Last edited by Bron; 06-17-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:49 PM

I remember my Dad changing our Ontario license plates back to Quebec plates when we travelled back to Montreal to visit family. This was after getting our car 'keyed' and arial broken off on our first trip back with Ontario plates on. This was during the FLQ crisis.

In BC I've noted the derogatory term for Albertans is becoming "red plates' in reference to the lettering on our license plates.
And often pleasant conversations degrade to stereotyping Albertans as greedy, rich, toy-obsessed, tar-sands loving eco-rapists (while the lumber trucks roll past in the background and more BC valley bottoms are submerged forever tp produce electricity for export).
Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I remember my Dad changing our Ontario license plates back to Quebec plates when we travelled back to Montreal to visit family. This was after getting our car 'keyed' and arial broken off on our first trip back with Ontario plates on. This was during the FLQ crisis.

In BC I've noted the derogatory term for Albertans is becoming "red plates' in reference to the lettering on our license plates.
And often pleasant conversations degrade to stereotyping Albertans as greedy, rich, toy-obsessed, tar-sands loving eco-rapists (while the lumber trucks roll past in the background and more BC valley bottoms are submerged forever tp produce electricity for export).
Can you really blame them? May long starts the 3 month long convoy of lifted f350s with $150k wakeboard boats/40+ foot travel trailers.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron View Post
Albertans don't know that (many) people from bc hate them? I'm sorry but The perception is that Albertans drive like animals to bc, leave a wake of destruction and litter and then drive like animals back to Alberta. They are likened to rude Americans. I've lived in Kelowna, Vancouver and the kootenays and the perception is widespread.
I had lived in bc my whole life and recently moved to Calgary. I've learned that there are a lot of considerate drivers here with a few token douchebags.
It's the same old "a few bad apples" story. I think that people drive like animals because they're excited to start their holidays.
Not much you can do other than be considerate and don't fulfill their expectations of you. I now have a red plate, and i feel the heat when I'm visiting family back In bc.
x2 I also lived in a lot of BC towns then moved to Alberta, Albertans do have a bad perception to BC'ers, (although the term Gorbies is new to me lol) and its exactly that, fly into BC on weekends with expensive toys and leave a wake of litter and noise in their path. But then again being here I learned it works both ways... I have never protested oil sands, practiced yoga, or shopped at lululemon, but being from BC you would think I would have.

I like to think of it more like a friendly rivalry then anything else.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

Is it more of an aversion to "tourists" rather than the fact they are from Alberta (just the fact maybe more tourists just come from Alberta because the provinces border each other) or is it a definite issue with Albertans, not necessarily all tourists?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Wow, I haven't heard that term 'Gorby' for 30 years! It was common for transients in Banff who had lived/worked there for a week or so, to call someone who had only been there a day !
Old 06-17-2015, 02:41 PM

I was at a public boat launch, where after I launched my boat, a guy came up to my window and suggested I park somewhere else and showed me a parking ticket he just got.

He was from Alberta as well - he went on to tell me there were 6 vehicles parked along the road near the launch - 2 with Alberta plates and 4 with BC plates.

2 traffic violations were issued.

Want to guess which 2 vehicles got the tickets? Yup, according to him only the Alberta Vehicles.

To be honest I didn't believe him entirely (and maybe was skeptical). Thought about it and said - "no way that can't happen, could it" ....... so I rolled the dice.

I launched my boat and parked right with all the other vehicles. I went to the "shack" and asked if I needed a parking pass or anything else and the lady said - no, since the lot is under construction, although you are officially not supposed to park there the RCMP are not ticketing anyone (this area had very few options to park with kilometers of the launch) and I didn't have my wife with me to drive the tow vehicle and trailer back ..... so I parked, right along with the other vehicles.

I was thinking - maybe the Alberta boys were parked to far from the curb or maybe on the wrong side - there is no way that could happen - could it?

Came back 5-6 hours later to find that only my vehicle had a parking ticket ...... none of the BC plate vehicles had a ticket.There were 8 vehicles there now and 3-4 of them were there when I launched and another 3-4 came after as they were in behind me. All had BC plates (I paid special attention as I pulled out on my way back).

At the end of the day - do I have a case for lawsuit or can I scream prejudice ..... sure .... but it won't change anything in BC until our resident idiots begin to behave. I was enraged for a few hours and settled down after a bit ...... really felt like there was nothing I could do except make it worse for myself with the local small town RCMP boys.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Lived in fernie worked at skihill, the term gorby is referred to guys who come skiing in jeans and jean jackets, with 50 yr old skis..lol and have lived in bc, yes there is animosity towards Alberta's, I still get called a yellow jacket, by buddies of my in laws, even tho I hung around them all in high school..before kookanusa lake exploded as a tourist attraction, we kept out camper down there all summer as it was all crown land, however I did put my brother in laws bc trailer plate on my camper...

Last edited by bubba 96; 06-17-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
The point was missed. My point was if people are ignorant and cowards (i.e. would prefer to damage a vehicle whilst fishing instead of say it to their face), then you have 2 options...

Continue what you're doing and do nothing, or do something different to reduce the chance of encountering the issue. One way is costly, one is less costly. Put a red plate in front of the person and it's fuel, hide it and sure they can figure it out by going around the back of the vehicle and not seeing a plate in the front, but it's not so obvious.

Not saying it's acceptable or right to receive this type of damage, it just is,
it's life, it's similar the world over, get over it and do what you can about it.

How are you gonna chase some anonymous BC person who's already long gone and laughing to his friends about another Red Plate Vehicle / Boat that he's busted up, if you don't have any proof and the cops aren't interested?

I'm sure most of us would take a piece out of someone who approached us, but they don't because they're cowards.
Yes I see your point now. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

I guess one thing you did not learn is that in BC you have a lic. plate front and back. Parking so your AB plate is hidden only makes a CO or RCMP wonder why you don't have a front plate and only draws more attention. Back to the drawing board on that suggestion.

EDIT This was a responce to member who said back in so AB plate is hidden. By the way, It's not as bad as a lot of you are making it out to be. Most of the people you meet on the water are sportsmen/women just like you and I. Lets not get carried away.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:36 AM

I fish BC every year never had an issue always treated good love the people and the beef jerky there. I have found there are some inconsiderate drivers there..... but they all have Alberta license plates. Will be heading there for bass in a couple weeks and expect to have a great time.

Mack
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Last time I stopped in BC, I returned to find my car had condolence letters tucked in the wipers.

"Sorry about your NDP... We feel your pain."
Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Lots of nice places to go fishing in BC and many are idiot free.

There are areas that have anti tourist people and these are often areas that see a large number of visitors. Often it is not just against Albertans but all out of towners. There is areas in BC that they don't care for people from other parts of BC the difference is these visitors do not have a plate to give them away.

Pick the less known areas the fishing is better and less people. Respect the rare person you meat in these areas and odds are they will do the same.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Can you really blame them? May long starts the 3 month long convoy of lifted f350s with $150k wakeboard boats/40+ foot travel trailers.
WHAT I thought that was only in saskatchewan that happens to well good to know we`re not alone lol. p.s I like alberta just pointing out an observation.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Hmmmm

Just a thought. As we can put any decoration plate on the front of our alberta vehicles. When we go to BC maybe a BC plate on the front might help deter some of the vandalism and ridiculous treatment. lol

This thread has me pee'd off. I am planning a boating/fishing trip to the Shushwaps and if I am unfairly treated or ticketed or vandalized there will be hell to pay! lol
Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Banned

Here is a tip that I learned years ago. If you stop at one of the many parks, trails, or other attractions always look around the parking lot for small bits of glass. If you notice a lot of it that tells you that you are in an area where a lot of car windows have been broken in the past. If you park there keep in mind to keep an eye on your vehicle. I know a few places that are very bad for being targeted by the locals.
I would say more but don't want ban hammer to come down.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Last time I stopped in BC, I returned to find my car had condolence letters tucked in the wipers.

"Sorry about your NDP... We feel your pain."
LOL that's a wicked ****er. ........

Mack
Old 06-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Who does the B.C. Fish Cop always harass? It is the people with Alberta licence plates, never the Kamloops locals who scurry into the bush with their garbage bags of tiny fish breaking every darn law there is.

You ask the Fish and Wildlife officer why they do not check the locals. They tell me that is none of my business. You should see some of Fish and Wildlife officers out of Clearwater B.C. They look like the progeny of a brother sister marriage.

This has become a friggin joke. I have tried to talk to the Ministry of Fisheries in Victoria about abuses against Albertans and had no reply.

I am a CNR fisherman all the way. If B.C. does not want Alberta money spent in their province things must be pretty good. Just make sure no transfer payments from Alberta make it to those bums in BC.

I remember one inbred BC officer asking me if I had a licence for my pellet gun. I said no. He asked me to show my pellet gun. I said it was in Alberta.

I can respond to some of the 'Rudeness' that Albertans experience in BC.
Yes, we know your province has more $$$$ and your mean average wage is more than ours.

But that DOES NOT ENTITLE Albertans to look down their noses at us, or whine and blubber when they come and enjoy what BC has to offer FOR THE SAME COST as what BC residents pay (camp spots etc not for licensing)

So that we are Crystal Clear, 90% of Albertans when they come here, pack all their cheap booze, cheap gas, groceries etc, and do not spend ONE NICKLE here.

But we don't mind, it's the cheap attitudes a lot of Albertans have developed by this sense of entitlement.... and transfer payments? A PERFECT EXAMPLE of the attitude a lot of Albertans bring here.

So stay home, because really, we could give a tinkers damn

But if you do come to visit, and are pleasant, and engaging, and leave the chip on your shoulder at home, you are welcome to stay and enjoy as long as you like

Always remember... Being treated well works BOTH ways.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM

wow .... yeah ..simply wow
Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
So that we are Crystal Clear, 90% of Albertans when they come here, pack all their cheap booze, cheap gas, groceries etc, and do not spend ONE NICKLE here.
Used to buy it all in BC...until your lovely government decided to charge $20 a day to fish classified waters
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Used to buy it all in BC...until your lovely government decided to charge $20 a day to fish classified waters
LOL, wanna trade governments?

J/K.

But you do raise an interesting point on fishing and hunting regs....

Last time I looked, Canada was a NATION!... all this cross border 'extra charges' is a bunch of malarkey in my opinion. I am sure there is far more emotion than logic when these rules are placed in effect.

Disgusted... since when did the people become less important than the people they were supposed to be serving? Public Servant indeed.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Wow, I haven't heard that term 'Gorby' for 30 years! It was common for transients in Banff who had lived/worked there for a week or so, to call someone who had only been there a day !
I thought I was the only one that remembered that !
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
LOL, wanna trade governments?

J/K.

But you do raise an interesting point on fishing and hunting regs....

Last time I looked, Canada was a NATION!... all this cross border 'extra charges' is a bunch of malarkey in my opinion. I am sure there is far more emotion than logic when these rules are placed in effect.

Disgusted... since when did the people become less important than the people they were supposed to be serving? Public Servant indeed.
x2 I can see charging residents outside of Canada extra, but charging residents of BC $20 a year to fish classified waters vs residents out of province $20 a day seems ridiculous to me. I believe BC is the only province doing this as well (I have not fished east of Ontario)
Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I can respond to some of the 'Rudeness' that Albertans experience in BC.
Yes, we know your province has more $$$$ and your mean average wage is more than ours.

But that DOES NOT ENTITLE Albertans to look down their noses at us, or whine and blubber when they come and enjoy what BC has to offer FOR THE SAME COST as what BC residents pay (camp spots etc not for licensing)

But we don't mind, it's the cheap attitudes a lot of Albertans have developed by this sense of entitlement.... and transfer payments? A PERFECT EXAMPLE of the attitude a lot of Albertans bring here.
J
So stay home, because really, we could give a tinkers damn

But if you do come to visit, and are pleasant, and engaging, and leave the chip on your shoulder at home, you are welcome to stay and enjoy as long as you like

Always remember... Being treated well works BOTH ways.
We rent the same cabin every year buy our food supply in Cranbrook on the way in have always been treated very well.

Mack