Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
sheep hunter

Default Re: Xbow

I give up sharpstick but you might want to look up the definition of physics!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
sharpstick

The science of energy and matter and their interactions, why do you give up?
Is any of what I said not true??
Old 02-09-2007, 02:03 AM
sheep hunter

I think we are on the same page sharpstick other than your statement about physics changing with the bow. The physics change with the arrow only. Okay, I said I wouldn't do this but I will once more. Shoot the identical arrow (weight, length, fletch) out of a crossbow, compound bow, tank, mortar, battleship gun, sling shot at the same speed and it will have the same trajectory.

Change the arrow length, weight or fletch and yes trajectory changes.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 AM
sharpstick

at the same speed yes, but every bow will shoot at different speeds, crossbows use smaller bolts(arrows) etc.
Change any of the variables and the trajectory changes.
same page different paragraph!!lol
see you at the sportsman show!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
209x50cal

Quote:
at the same speed yes, but every bow will shoot at different speeds,
ENOUGH ALREADY!
You are going on and on over nothing here, as you point out you can have large differences between compound bows using the same technology.
Ask any of the serious hand loaders here, like Dick 284, no two guns will shoot the SAME load equally. I load for a lot of guns and people and I have seen as much as 180 FPS difference between identical makes, models and cal shooting the same batch of hand loads.
I'm not sure why the efficiency between bows became important to you in this argument perhaps you could remind me?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
sheep hunter

Come on Rich....let us play.

I still think your missing a piece of the puzzle sharpstick. There is nothing preventing me from shooting a longer arrow out of my crossbow and I can do that at higher velocities than many compound bows produce. I launch that arrow out of my crossbow at a higher velocity than a compound bow and I'm going to have a better trajectory.

I'm actually not sure where you are going with all this sharpstick but if you are saying that crossbows don't have sufficient speed and energy....you'd have to eliminate every long bow, recurve and many compounds from archery season too.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 PM
sharpstick

Nope, actually was just discussing the differences between the two with what they actually shoot!(I wanted to know why the two were different at longer ranges!)
Rich, save your frustration and don't open the thread!!
I have found some interesting info, and a great arrow, KE, trajectory calculator in my searches.
TJ if a longer arrow would be better why is it not used? this is an honest question.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 PM
sheep hunter

The shorter arrows are more accurate out of the crossbow.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:32 AM
sharpstick

thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Tree Guy

Cool thread guys! That was a good read.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Blakeinator2

Default should be

Should be even nicer now that i've gone through and cleaned up some of my drivel....didn't realize it was going to stay up front and center for so long, how embarrassing . All joking aside, great info, glad its a sticky.

B
Old 03-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Bean

It would be great if we had a crossbow season, But we need to limit the hunt to only a few zones. If the hunters want it bad enough they will travel.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Jamie Hunt

Why do we need to limit it?

Jamie
Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
luv 2 hunt

bought my son a crossbow last season,cause he was havin trouble developing consistant accuracy with his bow and was getting frustrated to the point of losing intrest in hunting.not sure why he was having trouble,was not due to lack of practicing but he wasnt getting it,,though he is of smaller frame,,but anyway took him bear huntin last fall and he got his first bear with crossbow and he was thrilled to say the least,and it renewed his hunting drive 150% on bow hunting and now wants to try this spring with his bow,which now he has overcome his bow problem due to his success with a crossbow.so yes there should be a season for crossbows i think and heres a thought for you bow only hunters,a crossbow helped create another bow hunter who may have given up on bow hunting if it wasnt for a crossbow
Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Blades

Man! You have just illustrated in spades what I have been trying to tell people....the horizontal bow is a great recruiting tool for young and new bow hunters! Great picture!
Todd
Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
luv 2 hunt

just thought people might see a different side as i did
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Rob Miskosky

Congratulations to your son.

My boy is 11 and will start hunting this fall. He has no interest in a vertical bow, but loves to shoot my crossbow. And he's darn good with it too! If it wasn't for the crossbow he wouldn't hunt until he was 14, but by then, who knows. His interest in hunting may be gone.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 PM
luv 2 hunt

thanks rob..and hopefully your son has the same success.
i think it would be nice here in alberta if they would change the rifle hunting to 12 for them too,cause they do seem to lose intrest fast as we all know,i have six sons and they all love hunting and shooting sports,and it would be nice to be able to get them started a little sooner with rifle seasons..
just a thought anyway thx again...dennis
Old 04-08-2007, 06:12 PM
xbows

Default xbows

I have two girls that both bow hunt. It took them about two months untill they could pull 40lbs. Then it two them another few month to get good enogh to both shoot bears with a compound. The thing that i seen is how much they work at getting to that point. It just wasn't pick it up and two days later your shooting bullseyes.It is great to see any kids huntinhg, but wre i see the problem is the xbows just want to come on stream during archery season. The aba has put years of effort to get us seasons. I have yet to see the alberta cross bow assocation ask maybe for some season for themselfs.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Re: crossbows

Default Re: crossbows

I agree 100% with Rackmastr He has nailed it perfectly. last fall i was 38 yards from a big mulie but i was laying down with my bow in front of me. It crossed my mind as i was eatting the dirt and avoiding eye contact that if i had a crossbow that was cocked all i would have to do would be to lift it a couple inches, safety off, aim, and fire. I never did harvest a mule deer buck this fall. That one circled down wind while i couldnt move and 1 other one busted when i drew on him at 29 yards.

A perfect example of the advantage of the crossbow, i could have killed 2 mule deer if i had a crossbow with me this fall but i killed nothing and i am not angry about that. Thats bowhunting and i love it. Thats the way it should be.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Blades

If you are using a vertical bow, why were you laying down in the first place?.....isn't that kind of counter productive when using that bow?
QUERY; were you in a grassy area?...edge of a field, etc.
Todd
Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Blades

Default Re: xbows

If anyone here knows where to contact the "alberta crossbow assocation", please let me know......
Old 04-17-2007, 01:27 PM
mjmalberta

Default crossbows

i ve hunted alot with a crossbow in BC the season coincides with the archery season nobody has to lose any time out just runit with the archeryseason they arent much different than a bow distance and aiming wise they are about the samas a good bow
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Jamie Hunt

MJM.
You quit that crazy talk right now!
How the heck do you know anything.. What with your actual experiance and all..
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Sorry MJM. we have a bunch of very selfish archers in this province. They missed out on school the day they taught sharing.

On the bow boards, whenever this topic comes up they rally the troups and send them over this way to fight this idea.
There worse than hard core Fly fishing guys. Kind of pathetic

Good thoughts though
Jamie
Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Anglinfool

Default Yup

You said it Jamie.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

"A perfect example of the advantage of the crossbow, i could have killed 2 mule deer if i had a crossbow with me this fall but i killed nothing and i am not angry about that. Thats bowhunting and i love it. Thats the way it should be."

A perfect example of a hunting situation. Thats all. Sorry.

"I could have done this, i could have done that" Yeah right...."if only i had a crossbow" sure...that would do it. Pathetic excuses...thats all i'm reading.

I'm sorry, if you get to 40 yrds on a muley and then can't close the deal then me thinks it won't matter whats in your hands.

Poor argument thats been answered way too many times and i had to do it again. Gotta go be now.

Can't draw laying down?...two words for ya...whisker bisquit. Nuff said.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 AM

"I'm sorry, if you get to 40 yrds on a muley and then can't close the deal then me thinks it won't matter whats in your hands."

Yup thats right, no expeirienced hunters on this website have EVER missed or seen someone miss on a close in shot regardless of weapon, firearm or bow...

"Poor argument thats been answered way too many times and i had to do it again. Gotta go be now.

Can't draw laying down?...two words for ya...whisker bisquit. Nuff said."

Yes we should legislate whisker bisquits for all trad and vertical bow shooters, that will make them equal to the xbow shooters. I mean its just as easy with a vertical bow to draw, hold and shoot after an animal comes in range as it is to pull a trigger after an animal comes in range.... RIGHT?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Probably not but i'll bet its alot easier to stalk a muley to 40 yrds with a trad bow or compound bow than a crossbow...that won't have a bolt in it until your ready to shoot either btw...at least if you want to be safe with the thing?

A million different ways to argue it but there are a million variables leading up to the moment of truth that can screw it up and if the 'hunter' can't figure his weapon out once he's in range then he's gonna need to learn from the mistakes he makes...thats just how it goes...so next time he does it better and hopefully scores. You think that because its a crossbow that the 'hunter' isn't part of that equation anymore? Wrong. A guy who doesn't know how to close the deal yet will mess it up regardless of tool. Its 99% hunter and 1% tool.

p.s. i was responding to a troll, foolishly i might add but didn't want to leave his post unanswered, i figured a few folks would disagree and rehash it...always seems to come back to the mule deer scenerio...guys are convinced that the crossbow will make all the difference in the world there, how many guys get the tags anyhow? how many are good enough to find them and pull off the stalk?..wouldn't you agree that if they get that far they are probably talented enough to close the deal with about the same regularity with either tool?...i'm certainly cocky enough to feel that way...i'm a compound hunter, never even shot a crossbow but if i blew it at that point then i'm sure it wouldn't have mattered what was in my hands...

the last thing i have to say about the mule deer scenerio is....your merely talking about one tiny instance on one particular trophy....if it really makes as big a diff as you figure...do you think that should mean that the rest of alberta should suffer not having the option of crossbows in their archery seasons? all those kids...sore & broken old Dad's...women....newbies....they should all suffer cause a couple extra mule deer with horns might get killed a year? If thats not a selfish argument then i don't know what is?

this is my point....FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!! these decisions should be made...not for the good of one small minority of archers who chase trophy mule deer that might not be on draw yet...well they will go on draw soon and it won't be because of crossbows so there really is no big deal is there?

plus, i'm not admitting that a few extra mule deer will get killed because of a crossbow...but merely pointing out the 'so what' if its true....but it probably isn't true....where ever they've been allowed they don't seem to make a negative impact as much as they do a positive, thats just how i see it...

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 06-01-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM

You remind me of a fella named Blake...

You always have some good points and although I agree with a couple of them you're never going to change my mind and I'm never going to change yours. I will stand by my opinion that there are plenty of opportunities for the crossbow, for the whole regular season, and that's how I think it should stay.
I will not be surprised though, if the change is made to allow crossbows in the bow season.

I think this horse was beat to death long ago, so I'm gonna leave it lie.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Lol, yeah, sorry bout sounding like that other guy you mentioned.

I'm with ya on the dead horse.

Peace out.