Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Alberta Govt supports Illegal fish stocking

In it's continuing efforts to destroy the fisheries in Alberta, the Province is now rewarding illegal stocking of fish by legitimizing the taking of illegally stocked perch.
Here I though the stocking of Crimson Lake with perch would have stopped the rewarding of illegal stocking.
Nope - now Struble Lake is the newest throwaway lake.

From the regulations in 2017:

New Harvest Opportunities
Ø Pike: Pine Coulee Reservoir, Magee Lake, Manatokan Lake, Bangs Lake.
Ø Walleye: Pine Coulee Reservoir, Burnstick Lake, Gleniffer Reservoir,
Gull Lake, Lac Bellevue, Bourque Lake, Hilda Lake, and Lac La Biche.
Ø Yellow Perch: Strubel Lake.

After near 40 years of doing absolutely nothing about illegal stocking, this is the Govt's newest attack on our trout fisheries.

Disgusted as usual,

Don
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM

More people complaining about not being able to keep the perch, than people complaining about illegal stocking of the perch !!!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 PM

Figure out a way to fund a rotenone kill if you have a problem with this. Leaving it closed to retention only further wrecks the lake.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Illegal fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
In it's continuing efforts to destroy the fisheries in Alberta, the Province is now rewarding illegal stocking of fish by legitimizing the taking of illegally stocked perch.
Here I though the stocking of Crimson Lake with perch would have stopped the rewarding of illegal stocking.

After near 40 years of doing absolutely nothing about illegal stocking, this is the Govt's newest attack on our trout fisheries.

Disgusted as usual,

Don
Yet the regs have always stated that when fishing on water not specified in regs for the zone that you are fishing that you are to revert to the provincial limits of fish caught in that water body. So example if you're fishing on an unnamed lake and you catch a jack than you go by the provincial limits. Unless of course your fishing a trout pond than you can only keep trout. So illegally stocked jack that eat all the trout fry have to be put back into a water body where they don't belong? So the regs have for a long time been confusing.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 AM

I like perch
Old 05-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:

Disgusted as usual,

Don
Once again this Grumpy old man ranting yet again... this is not an "attack" on our trout fisheries.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:26 AM

If you're serious, you'll phone your local government official and fish and wildlife on a weekly basis to complain.

Otherwise its just crying on a message board for the sake of raising a post count and hearing your own voice. Much the same as "solving the worlds problems' over coffee.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 AM

One thing that Don missed & may only allow for the greater distrubution of perch.See when the govt.identifies a trout stocked lake of containing Perch.It is taken of the stocking list.So know one wins hear.Perch in these lks get stunted.No trout stocked.Perch just get tinier,& tinier.Maybe its time for the govt. to change over one the hatcheries to walleye.Then they could put them in these lakes,therefore perhaps .Curtailing the illegal bucket brigcade..Heck with more trout lakes with Perch are identified,where are they going to put the trout anyways.40years of no resolve,well here's my .02 cents worth...maybe they could funnel some of that carbon tax grab,to fund this.....
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Suspended User

Quote:

Disgusted as usual,

Don
This was done because the majority of people VOTED to allow this. Didn't vote? I did.

Since the lake winter kills, it's only a matter of time until the whole lake is dead again, so we voted on this. It allows us a place to take the little kids to catch a plateau of pan fries.
Considering it's just a big slough, and can't support trout long term I'm for it.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
This was done because the majority of people VOTED to allow this. Didn't vote? I did.
Agreed but I think the point Don is also trying to make is this is very reactive "Its screwed now, so what do would you like us to do .." versus putting more measures to prevent it in the first place.

That said, Alberta's approach does not sound that different from our direct neighbor to the South:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/species/illegalFish.html

Tough battle for many places for sure...I don't have a good answer.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post

Since the lake winter kills, it's only a matter of time until the whole lake is dead again, so we voted on this. It allows us a place to take the little kids to catch a plateau of pan fries.
Considering it's just a big slough, and can't support trout long term I'm for it.
Never been to Strubal, don't even know where it is. I am curious about this vote that you refer to. Was this a local thing? How does one get on the voters list?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Never been to Strubal, don't even know where it is. I am curious about this vote that you refer to. Was this a local thing? How does one get on the voters list?
Was part of the surveys by ESRD???
I prior to the regs being printed but not written...
However it's unlikely that we will ever know how the majority of people responded as the regs came out almost immediately after.
So really we were only asked, so we could feel like we had some input, when the already had new regs written.
I find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who took the survey supported this or the PCR changes.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:16 PM

What's the limit on Asian carp?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
Was part of the surveys by ESRD???
I prior to the regs being printed but not written...
However it's unlikely that we will ever know how the majority of people responded as the regs came out almost immediately after.
So really we were only asked, so we could feel like we had some input, when the already had new regs written.
I find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who took the survey supported this or the PCR changes.

Actually, the survey results were posted to the survey site.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Actually, the survey results were posted to the survey site.
Either way it wasn't because of the public response, too little time between survey and printed regs being out.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Once again this Grumpy old man ranting yet again... this is not an "attack" on our trout fisheries.
Surprises me how often I see posts that are insulting to another member because someone disagrees. Lately you can call a member anything you want from the saftey of your keyboard. I guess it's the internet world we live in.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
What's the limit on Asian carp?
as far as i know there is no limit on asian carp, except srd doesn not reccomend you throw them back in the water body it came from. if it is not listed as a provincial game fish species there is no limit.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Surprises me how often I see posts that are insulting to another member because someone disagrees. Lately you can call a member anything you want from the saftey of your keyboard. I guess it's the internet world we live in.
Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-05-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Lost to perch in the Rocky area include Twin Lake, Struble Lake, Cow Lake, Phyllis Lake, Tay Lake plus several small UN-named ponds.
Crimson Lake was not a fishery since the '50's but it is now toast.
Twin held rainbows of 5 lbs.
Struble held rainbows of 10 lbs.
Cow Lake raised rainbows to 15 lbs.
Tay raised rainbows to 5 lbs.

Now they raise tiny perch.

Fourty years of talent pays off in tiny perch.

Don
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 PM

Yeah it's something else, if a fish is bleeding let's put it back too, and let's keep the breeder pike over 63cm, Alberta could never manage nothing right, don't even get me started on the hunting end of it
Old 05-06-2017, 02:29 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=idaman;3533298]Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.[/QUO

Lamest appoalagy I've seen on AO.. You dont' have to appolagise to me fool. Appolagise to the member you insulted. I could care less what you think me, but your bad manners are like a virus. You are what we call an enabler. I blame it on the schools.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yes Don can speak his mind.He is right more often than not.I took up flyfishing 41 yrs ago.I can remember the superb days catching huge rainbows in Cow lake.Then it winterkilled the big trout all diewent back 2 years later & all i caught was perch.All jumbos,you no back when you were aloud 30 fish.Caught enough for a good fry for the family.But 2 years later the fish were a good 3 " smaller.Phylis was the same.When was the last time you seen a perch infested lake,maintain even catchable fish.These[lakes] all get stunted,alot over populate & pray for winterkill to drastically kill them off...
The thing that ****es me off is the lakes that Don speaks to are trout stocked lakes.Where our fishing lic.fees have gone into creating these fisheries.The govt. has a duty,to at least try to eradicate the perch.That's what our lic.fees pay them to do...
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=waterninja;3533517]
Quote:
Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.[/QUO

Lamest appoalagy I've seen on AO.. You dont' have to appolagise to me fool. Appolagise to the member you insulted. I could care less what you think me, but your bad manners are like a virus. You are what we call an enabler. I blame it on the schools.
appoalagy???
appolagise???

I blame your spelling on the schools.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Mr Flyguy;3533588]
Quote:

appoalagy???
appolagise???

I blame your spelling on the schools.
You got me on the spelling. I try to spell everything correctly, but things happen during an exciting Oiler game.
I think you got the meaning though, if not please ask someone to explain it to you. There are plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes on the forum, but most of us are too polite to mention it.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 AM

I apologize, if I were an Oilers fan I would be upset as well!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=waterninja;3533517]
Quote:
Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.[/QUO

This is my only apology....
Sorry if you thought it was an apology... it wasn't. No need for me to apologize, didn't say anything that would warrrant one.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Lost to perch in the Rocky area include Twin Lake, Struble Lake, Cow Lake, Phyllis Lake, Tay Lake plus several small UN-named ponds.
Crimson Lake was not a fishery since the '50's but it is now toast.
Twin held rainbows of 5 lbs.
Struble held rainbows of 10 lbs.
Cow Lake raised rainbows to 15 lbs.
Tay raised rainbows to 5 lbs.

Now they raise tiny perch.

Fourty years of talent pays off in tiny perch.

Don

when? 40 years ago when the first trout were put in and there was 3 of you fishing for them, maybe. How many 10 lb trout have we seen in the last three years?

People want to keep fish. the way things are going, we will have to have a p17 just to look at a walleye. Snot rockets taste like mud and cost a lot of money to stock. Perch reproduce on their own and taste good, even when small. People's motivation for fishing has changed, the old snooty 'sportsman' fishing for 'highly regarded species' attitude is dying off. Personally I'd say let's discontinue the rainbows altogether in favor of perch and walleye stocking, if we are going to have a put and take fishery, it may as well be for something that is worth taking.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=waterninja;3533623]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

You got me on the spelling. I try to spell everything correctly, but things happen during an exciting Oiler game.
I think you got the meaning though, if not please ask someone to explain it to you. There are plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes on the forum, but most of us are too polite to mention it.
The only thing you should apologize for is being on a chat forum while your hockey team is playing a PLAYOFF game !
Old 05-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Banned

As the grump says this has been a problem for many years and putting limits on illegally stocked perch does tend to legitimize it. Many of the elite fishermen really howl about it but mostly it goes ignored....who else cares?

I care and hate to see trout lakes ruined but my question to all is "what can anyone do about it"? Including the govt. The only reasonable action I've seen is the complementary planting of pike in Cow Lake. Other than something like that these lakes are screwed and more will continue to be.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Habfan;3533871]
Quote:

The only thing you should apologize for is being on a chat forum while your hockey team is playing a PLAYOFF game !
LOL. Yeh no kidding. This is not near as bad as the one in hunting that I posted while watching the Oilers. What I don't like is how rude people are on the forum lately. You can call people any names you like with no repercussions. One thing to disagree, or call them out on an obvious error, but all the name calling and slandering gets tiresome.
Oh well, it's the internet. I'm much more upset with the refeering in the Oilers series then I am about a few keyboard warriors.

P.S. I never did find out about this vote some of you were talking about. Was there an e-mail sent to everyone with a win#? I couldn't figure out what idiman was trying to say.

Last edited by waterninja; 05-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.