Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
I said nothing of the sort, I feel that the season as it is is fine and was set up with the intentions of being an archery season. If it is concluded that crossbows are archery equipment then so be it. I like the season the way it is. I feel xbows are not bows and do not belong in this season for all the reasons stated ad nauseum. I don't think this season excludes anyone individuals can decide if they want to be a part of it or not. If numbers of archery hunters makes it necessary to put the season on draw so be it, but this idea that people think archers are greedy and selfish is wrong. The same arguement can be stated for those that want in on the season by adjusting the rules, they are greedy and selfish. Truly I think it accomplishes nothing to base your arguement in that mud hole. Debate it on the merits of the equipment and the nature of the season.
I never said anyone was greedy or selfish. I asked packhuntr who he was talking about when he said a certain group WAS greedy and selfish. Personally I think ALL groups are simply putting their own needs first. Bowhunters don't want more people in the field with them, Crossbow hunters want to be able to access the longer, less crowded bow season, and rifle hunters want anything that might move some people out of their season or lower/equalize the draw pressure. Let's just admit as much. Now let democracy run it's course.....
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
you have some homework to catch up on, research the tool (crossbow) and learn about its true field capabilities, your whole post is wrong
Yeah...NO.

Please fill me in on where I might be wrong on the ease of shooting crossbow as compared to bow?? How many muscle groups/reps of training does it take to shoot a bow successfully as compared to pointing a crossbow and pulling a trigger?

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
sheephunter

Wow, interesting to see the government asking for input from hunters on individual issues..... It seems the new staff in charge of regulation changes wasn't just paying lip service and really is looking for public input.. The days of hunters being the last to learn about changes to the regs may be a thing of the past. The Americans have done this public consultation for years.........good to see it happening here.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 PM

If I want to hunt with a crossbow I'll do it in the regular season up here , same as I do with my flat bow .
same as my muzzle loader, I could care less about special seasons.
Cat
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

As it currently stand you can hunt with a crossbow during the rifle season no?

This being the case the opportunity exists to hunt that way if you choose.

I think it boils down to whether or not the definition of a crossbow fits archery tackle - and I would think the difference would boil down to the crossbow already being drawn. Within the distances that most animals would be harvested I would think this would make a significant difference - unless you are a ninja and can draw a bow undetected.

Another factor should be harvest rates and the management of populations of game.

The arguments based on they get to or we want are selfish. Nothing else.

I don't own a bow or cross bow - perhaps I should lobby to have all seasons lumped into one? Naw, I am not that selfish.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Personally I think ALL groups are simply putting their own needs first. Bowhunters don't want more people in the field with them, Crossbow hunters want to be able to access the longer, less crowded bow season, and rifle hunters want anything that might move some people out of their season or lower/equalize the draw pressure. Let's just admit as much. Now let democracy run it's course.....
stinky c, crazyfish and me for sure are 3 that dont fit that profile at all. we are three guys who currently hunt with a vertical bow and wont be making a change.

as for democracy running its course...well i dont know if this is a referendum or just a poll that they are asking? given that 10% of hunters are bowhunters give or take, id lay money on the outcome of the survey.

as for the argument....sigh.....some of you really having trouble grasping simple concepts.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM

If crossbows are allowed in the archery seasons and the number of bowhunters increases by 10,000 crossbows then this new group would now be some 26% of the total number of hunters. If government follows the equality system that most support then this group would now be allocated 26% of the harvest quotas. I wonder if accepting 10,000 crossbow hunters in the archery season but getting 16% more tags would be a bad deal for bowhunters. Bowhunters currently are allocated some 10% of the harvest but actually are 16% of the total hunters. Increasing their allowed tags would be increased opportunity.

It would mean that 16% of the rifle tags would be reduced but then according to 209 that would be fine because there would be less gun hunters applying for the 16% less general season tags.

Might mean a few more bowhunters and crossbows in those early seasons but then at least this new group will have more tags in their pool to apply for. Might not be a bad deal.

Who knows , maybe the next move is to carve out another 20% of the general season tags to make a muzzleloader system.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Wow, interesting to see the government asking for input from hunters on individual issues..... It seems the new staff in charge of regulation changes wasn't just paying lip service and really is looking for public input.. The days of hunters being the last to learn about changes to the regs may be a thing of the past. The Americans have done this public consultation for years.........good to see it happening here.
Could be a good system for sure. Any public consultation is usually a good thing. I hope it isn't subject to lobby groups, as trips some of the American style consultation.

I wonder why they selected this issue to begin the consultation and wonder if they might try a similar approach with the rumored Sheep season changes that appear to be as contentious.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stipa comata View Post
Could be a good system for sure. Any public consultation is usually a good thing. I hope it isn't subject to lobby groups, as trips some of the American style consultation.

I wonder why they selected this issue to begin the consultation and wonder if they might try a similar approach with the rumored Sheep season changes that appear to be as contentious.
Guessing it's the most contentious issue right now but hopefully there's more opportunity for input on other issues.

Here's the question as it appears on the survey

ASRD Fish and Wildlife is consulting Alberta hunters regarding allowing the use of cross-bows during archery-only seasons.

Cross-bows can be used to hunt big game during primitive weapon and rifle hunting seasons but not during archery-only seasons. If cross-bows were permitted during archery-only seasons, it is predicted that this would add hunters to those seasons and, in turn, result in an increased harvest. Depending on the increase in harvest, additional species (i.e. moose and mule deer) and areas may be placed on draw for archery hunting where a special licence had not previously been required.

Do you support allowing the use of cross-bows during archery-only hunting seasons?

Yes

No

Neutral
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM

I vote No...

Seems pretty simple to me...You want to take advantage of the archery season then buy a bow...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 PM

again i shoot a bow, but i think that in the big picture it is being selfish to try and keep it the way things are. I love the chance to go after bull moose with my bow and not have alot of pressure ! But if the best way to even out the involves me making a choice between hunting a specific species with my bow or my gun , then so be it !

The whole arguement about poachers and truck windows, ha ha ! I would love to see that !!! can't see many game animals standing around under 40 yrds while i try to get out of the truck and the rest !!!

The crossbow is limited by gravity just like my bow ! My cousin bought one and was very disappointed with what he thought would be an easy new toy !!! There will be lots of others and won't change things much in the long run !
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Has anyone else not received this email yet?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM

I don't understand why crossbow is not allowed in the archery season. It's basically the same thing and your game has to be real close to get a clean kill. Yeah Crossbow's are deadlier but still you gotta get to 60 yards of a game to bring her/him down with a crossbow. It's all fair in my opinion, guess since I am a crossbow hunter I would like to see it start sooner.

I brought down my first deer this year with my Predator crossbow which was sweet.

I vote YES..
Banned

Quote:
Guessing it's the most contentious issue right now but hopefully there's more opportunity for input on other issues.

Here's the question as it appears on the survey

ASRD Fish and Wildlife is consulting Alberta hunters regarding allowing the use of cross-bows during archery-only seasons.

Cross-bows can be used to hunt big game during primitive weapon and rifle hunting seasons but not during archery-only seasons. If cross-bows were permitted during archery-only seasons, it is predicted that this would add hunters to those seasons and, in turn, result in an increased harvest. Depending on the increase in harvest, additional species (i.e. moose and mule deer) and areas may be placed on draw for archery hunting where a special licence had not previously been required.

Do you support allowing the use of cross-bows during archery-only hunting seasons?

Yes

No

Neutral
Thanks for posting that.

I still have to think that moving a general season to a draw reduces hunter opportunity, and that is bad for hunting and hunters. And as I mentioned I only rifle hunt.

yup me , so you could still change my mind !!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Has anyone else not received this email yet?
I dont have it either, Is there some place online that we can go vote?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM
sheephunter

Apparently 5,000 went out today as a test. The remainder should go out tomorrow and the next day.

I haven't got mine yet either.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stipa comata View Post
Thanks for posting that.
NP...always happy to share facts that I'm aware of...
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I vote No...

Seems pretty simple to me...You want to take advantage of the archery season then buy a bow...
yup. It's as simple as that for adults at least.

Can twelve year olds draw 40 lbs?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So if 10,000 extra hunters went out and bought bows to hunt in bow season that would be fine, but if you allowed 10,000 crossbow users to hunt during the season it would be a disaster, a crime, just so wrong... OK, I got ya.

I guess the question I have is "Why should we have to jump through that hoop?" Gun registry supporters use the same logic... "Anyone can have a gun, just register it. What's the big deal about registering it?" To both I ask "what's the purpose?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

good point...... let 12 yr olds use a crossbow....as an introduction to hunting. the rest can stick to archery.
NO is my vote.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 PM

NO ! neither my 12year old son or my wife can draw back 40# safley never mind hold it ! I can so i shoot a bow !! What makes any of you bow only idealist better just cause you have the physical ability too. I believe thay should have every right to be out to . So what if a few draws come in to affect I would much rather the time in the field with them being active part of the hunt than just tagging along or staying at home waiting for rifle season to get a chance to hunt ! SO I VOTE YES !!! Its been a long time comming & really cant belive that the goverment held out this long .
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
And look at how they hunt there??? Does how they hunt there appeal to you?Ladies and gentlemen see the crossbow push for the money grab it is and cease from being fooled. 209 exposed himself for the man he is when he admitted to wanting to reduce hunter oppurtunity for his own gain.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post

My twelve year old can pull 45lbs safely and properly with out hurting himself or endangering anyone while doing it. If they are taught properly to use back muscles instead of arm muscles most 12 year olds should be able to do it no problem. My little guy is small most people think he is 8 years old by his size .
Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
And look at how they hunt there??? Does how they hunt there appeal to you?.
So you are saying that getting public input into regulation changes is a bad thing??????? Would you rather changes be made in a shroud of secrecy and uncerimoniously sprung on us when the regulations come out.....like the way it used to be done?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Thumbs down

My vote is NO. I cant even believe its a question. How can they even concider the crossbow in the same season as archery. You want to use a crossbow hunt in rifle season or a primitive weponds season.
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
My twelve year old can pull 45lbs safely and properly with out hurting himself or endangering anyone while doing it. If they are taught properly to use back muscles instead of arm muscles most 12 year olds should be able to do it no problem. My little guy is small most people think he is 8 years old by his size .
Good to hear. I wasn't sure and that's why I asked the questions. My son and daughter are only 3 and 4 so I'll have to start them early (and we have time) to build up the muscle strength in those areas.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
How can they even concider the crossbow in the same season as archery. .
!
ummm, how about the fact that they have the same effective range as any other bow and that they have the same success rate as other bowhunters. aw crap....what are facts doing in an emotional discussion? sorry bout that. as you were.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that getting public input into regulation changes is a bad thing??????? Would you rather changes be made in a shroud of secrecy and uncerimoniously sprung on us when the regulations come out.....like the way it used to be done?
All I am saying is that hunting in the States seems to be very commercialized and I don't want that to happen here.Getting public input is a good thing having a hunting system like the states isn't.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
All I am saying is that hunting in the States seems to be very commercialized and I don't want that to happen here.Getting public input is a good thing having a hunting system like the states isn't.
LOL...you sure read a lot into things.... I was just happy with some public input......nothing more.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ummm, how about the fact that they have the same effective range as any other bow and that they have the same success rate as other bowhunters. aw crap....what are facts doing in an emotional discussion? sorry bout that. as you were.
The same range, Are you for real? Wake up sunshine. Let me know how tired you are after holding your bow at full draw for 5 min. Oh ya you couldnt do it. Now lets see lets hold your crossbow at 5 min cocked and loaded with your scope on it, Its a no brainer might as well have a gun in your hand. What a joke!!