Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Hunting dogs or dogs hunting??

What do you think about the regs in place now that do not allow a dog to 'accompany' you while hunting?

Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm not talking about a pack of mutts running helter skelter, but a dog to bark when a bear comes around to steal your picnic basket or a dog to blood trail when you wound an animal.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
sheephunter

I submitted that exact resolution through my local F&G club this year to be considered at the AFGA convention. My resolution was strictly for pack dogs. As far as I know, Aberta is the only jurisdiction with mountain hunting where pack dogs are not permitted. I whole-heartedly support the idea. I'm not sure if SRD is opposed to the idea or it's just never been brought to their attention for consideration.

We had our pup in the Yukon with us this year and I've never slept so soundly at night. He likely saved a bear's life one night too.

Jet likes the idea too!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm torn... I use my dog for bird hunting and always like having him along when I'm outdoors. He might also be useful for tracking wounded big game but I can also see the harassment factor. I can't guarantee he wouldn't go dashing off after a deer he saw. I don't want to try to hunt with him on a leash but I don't have a problem if you want to do that.... I dunno.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm torn... I use my dog for bird hunting and always like having him along when I'm outdoors. He might also be useful for tracking wounded big game but I can also see the harassment factor. I can't guarantee he wouldn't go dashing off after a deer he saw. I don't want to try to hunt with him on a leash but I don't have a problem if you want to do that.... I dunno.
Check out all the bighorns behind my pup in the second picture.....It's all about training!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM

i know that in some states they are allowed to use a dog for blood trailing after the shot. But i believe that it was restricted to who could do it, ie had to be certified or similar. So if hunter A shot and wounded and failed to find his animal , he could only use the "services" of a licensed dog handler, for a fee of course !

There is also a few states that allow the use of dogs to help with drives or pushes for whitetails ! Not sure thats where we would want to go !

I see no issue with a pack dog/ companion, but would it be limited to the mountains or allowed province wide ?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Check out all the bighorns behind my pup in the second picture.....It's all about training!
Mine is semi-trained... probably by some big buck at one time. If the deer are still he just stands and watches them. If they approach he scurries back to me. But if they turn tail and run THEN he takes off after them. LOL

I thought he was a coward but he takes off after every coyote he sees too. He's not a coward, just stupid (a Britt) LOL I DO find the new e-collar I got has been helping.
Banned

I really wish I could bring Bear with me. She is part of the group and should be there.

Jamie
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
i know that in some states they are allowed to use a dog for blood trailing after the shot. But i believe that it was restricted to who could do it, ie had to be certified or similar. So if hunter A shot and wounded and failed to find his animal , he could only use the "services" of a licensed dog handler, for a fee of course !

There is also a few states that allow the use of dogs to help with drives or pushes for whitetails ! Not sure thats where we would want to go !

I see no issue with a pack dog/ companion, but would it be limited to the mountains or allowed province wide ?
I think the 400WMUs would be a good place to start.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Sleeping at night with a dog outside the tent is priceless. I've never had serious issues with bears when I've had my dog in camp with me. Plenty of notice and dealt with the situations. Many of them would not have been cool if she was not there.

They also smell better than most sheep hunting partners.

Oko...I feel your pain. My dog doesn't have a problem big game but ground squirrells Still working on this one but I don't think she'll ever get over her hate on for em'

tm
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I DO find the new e-collar I got has been helping.
We refer to it as the very long arm of the law
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Gone Hunting

I see no difference whether it is in the mtns or flatlands. It is legal in B.C. or was when I was there. I can't say 100% now or not.

I had a dog with me on lots of trips, mtns, heavy bush, horse , on foot etc. never had a problem.

As far as the concern about chasing a deer, it is simply training. I sure do not want a dog running after deer when I'm trying to hunt them no more than I ant a dog running willy nilly around when I'm hunting birds.

Because I wouldn't allow a dog to behave poorly, from a personal POV I don't see the down side.
I'm sure there are those who may take a dog along that is not well trained, but I think those are few and far between. I have never heard of an incident where a dog accompanying a hunter has been a problem. There are several places that allow it, but I can't recall a problem anywhere.

I know sometimes dogs run livestock, but that is a separate issue.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I think the 400WMUs would be a good place to start.
I don't have an issue either way, more just for clarification ! Won't be doing it myself due to allergies, but think it's a good idea with a well trained dog !
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Default I don't like the idea

As much as I would love to take my dog with me I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

I think a properly trained dog would do just fine but have you ever been to a dog park? 99% of dogs are not properly trained for day to day interaction let alone a specialty task such as this.

Like Oko, my dog (lab) is very good but she is not to the point where I can guarantee that she will not dart off to chase another dog at the park and I assume a deer in the field.

Maybe each dog should have to get certified but I think I know what most on here would say about that added government regulation.

I do love the idea though.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
sheephunter

The way I look at it, if you take a bone head dog in the mountains with you, it's going to do far more harm to your chances of success than it will help. I think it will become self regulating pretty quickly. To me, the Yukon hunting regulations are simplicity defined but they also spell things out very clearly. They deal with the use of pack dogs by saying, “It is unlawful to: allow your dog to chase or molest big game animals, furbearing animals or specially protected wildlife.” If your dog is chasing or molesting wildlife, you are breaking the law. Keep it simple I say. It seems to work everywhere else.

We already have bird dogs running loose in big game country...it's not a big stretch. They seem to be self regulating okay. Ya, our pup loves the dog park and I agree that most dogs there aren't pack dog material but from what I've seen, neither are the owners...

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-06-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Sleeping at night with a dog outside the tent is priceless. I've never had serious issues with bears when I've had my dog in camp with me. Plenty of notice and dealt with the situations. Many of them would not have been cool if she was not there.

They also smell better than most sheep hunting partners.

Oko...I feel your pain. My dog doesn't have a problem big game but ground squirrells Still working on this one but I don't think she'll ever get over her hate on for em'

tm
You mentioned before that yours was a Korelian right? What's it like at home? Full of energy to the point of concern?

I think I would enjoy the use of a dog for the company/protection potential that it would bring in the mountains. Just not too sure it would fit into my normal lifestyle the other 80% of the time.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
As much as I would love to take my dog with me I think we need to be careful what we wish for.
Every one can already have a dog with them....just not hunters.

My understanding of the law is that it is OK to have them in camp as long as you are not "hunting" big game. The dog must stay in camp when you leave.....kinda sux when your taking camp with you.

tm
Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
You mentioned before that yours was a Korelian right? What's it like at home? Full of energy to the point of concern?

I think I would enjoy the use of a dog for the company/protection potential that it would bring in the mountains. Just not too sure it would fit into my normal lifestyle the other 80% of the time.
My buddy Paul guides in the Yukon and NWT and he's used golden retrievers forever. I've hunted with him and his current dog Molly several times and she is the epitome of the perfect pack dog/couch potato. His previous dog was the same. A great breed to consider for your situation.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Dogs

Do you think Jet could of got those sheep alittle closer for a shot sheep hunter??? I'am all for being able to bring my lab hunting in the mountains. But if they do go for it I might have to get a herding dog myself!! I think thats the problem. Some people would follow the law and some would put a pack on them and say they follow the law.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The way I look at it, if you take a bone head dog in the mountains with you, it's going to do far more harm to your chances of success than it will help. I think it will become self regulating pretty quickly. To me, the Yukon hunting regulations are simplicity defined but they also spell things out very clearly. They deal with the use of pack dogs by saying, “It is unlawful to: allow your dog to chase or molest big game animals, furbearing animals or specially protected wildlife.” If your dog is chasing or molesting wildlife, you are breaking the law. Keep it simple I say. It seems to work everywhere else.

We already have bird dogs running loose in big game country...it's not a big stretch. They seem to be self regulating okay. Ya, our pup loves the dog park and I agree that most dogs there aren't pack dog material but from what I've seen, neither are the owners...

Works for me.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Do you think Jet could of got those sheep alittle closer for a shot sheep hunter??? I'am all for being able to bring my lab hunting in the mountains. But if they do go for it I might have to get a herding dog myself!! I think thats the problem. Some people would follow the law and some would put a pack on them and say they follow the law.
i don't see that as much of a problem. Other places where dogs are allowed don't seem to have that problem. It is like any other reg. Follow it or face the music.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Nope, I'm guessing if I sent him on an outrun those sheep would have been long gone. Domestic sheep and cattle are one thing but wild animals are another. Even domestic herd animals that are not used to being worked by dogs are extremely hard to do anything with until the dog has had a chance to work them for a while. The stories you hear of working dogs bringing in the cattle or sheep from great distances are with cows and sheep that are well dog broke, not bighorns in the mountains. I could never see it working and at some point we need to quit denying people opportunity out of fear that a very small percentage might abuse the privilage. Make the law clear and charge those that don't respect it.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-06-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post

Yes we have 3 and they are awesome (McKinley is almost 8 and the other 2 are 4). I have a 4yr old son and a 7yr old daughter. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. We did have a cat but she died of old age. Kinda funny considering the week before we got McKinley she ran down a lynx and killed it. My Wife's 5lb cat ruled the house....musta been an age thing.

They do have energy and ours recieve daily walks and runs several times a week.

As far as the Karelian breed goes the aggresiveness towards humans has been "bred" out. They are not a big powerful dog....medium sized (50-65lbs). They do have attitudes and think that they are better than any other breed. I have issues if other dogs show aggression or dominance towards them....they don't like that.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

tm

ps...Dall backstrap for supper tonight
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Dogs

I'am with you 100% on this. I was just thinking that this was the problem.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM

I would absolutely love to have my dog with me in the mountains. I hope someday it will be allowed.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm completely in favour of a "No Chase" hunting dog regulation.

I posted up some info from other provinces in a similar thread last year. Can't find the thread. Rocky, Y'know the thread I'm looking for.

From some research, it appears our present dog legislation stems from the birth of legislated hunting in Alberta. It is time to review and update this law.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:50 PM

I am under the impression that it is even frowned upon to have your dogs with you at your hunt camp...is this correct? I really do not have any reason to have my dog with me while actually "hunting"..... but to have them there during the night or down time, or while skinning etc. to be an extra couple of eyes and ears...that, I would enjoy.

Edit: I have also heard cautionary tales about having your dog in the truck with you while driving to and from a hunting spot....true or not true??
Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Dogs

I'am Kinda a newb on changing regs what can I or (we) do? Phone f&w,send emails?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM

In BC (the only other province who's rules I am familiar with) your dog can accompany you while hunting for big game as long as it is on a leash. FWIW you almost never see anyone with a dog while hunting big game. I used to take my GSP with me once in a while, to just sit and watch a slash or cutline. Never got a shot at anything! As soon as something would start moving around in the bush, he would start barking!

I am all for changing this rule.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM

[QUOTE=Pudelpointer;789227] FWIW you almost never see anyone with a dog while hunting big game. I used to take my GSP with me once in a while, to just sit and watch a slash or cutline. Never got a shot at anything!QUOTE]

If you see me you'll see my dog....leash will be in my pocket

Check out McKinley with her sheep and bou this Fall in the "Playing with Dolls" thread......GSP

tm

(gsp's actually made my shortlist )
Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM

I dont have a dog but I think it should be allowed, as far as the comment of taking a poorly trained dog out I think there is allot more poorly trained humans with dogs. There is something awesome about a dog and owner working together.