Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

This guy needs a pack dog to protect him from himself.

Do you think that what he has in his hand has anything to do with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgoZ...eature=related
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
No expert on this but from what I know BC has a chase only season and a hunt season(I think). But for here in Alberta I beleive you can only legally run cats for the purpose of harvesting.
SG

Last edited by Nait Hadya; 01-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:04 AM

another instance regarding this, hunting dogs,dogs hunting witch hunt;

a fellow houndsman and i were out looking around for some cat sign before the season (like packing camp into the mountains before sheep season,scouting for deer,trail cams etc.) finds an old track crossing a trail,it's snow covered. so, he leashed up his hound, walked the trail into the trees where there would be no snow in it so he could determine it's size,age. all of a sudden i hear a heck of a commotion,dog is treeing up a storm. i walk in there and here he is, up in the top of a leaner,8-10 feet off the ground,the dog tied to a tree below him,him pretending to be a lion. seems they have been playing this game since his hound was a pup. said it was his way of teaching him to stay clear of a lion on or near the ground. good thing there wasn't an overzealous F&W or observer nearby with a chip on her shoulder, man would he have had some explaneing to do.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
thought it was regarding suitability as a pack dog. the hound is probably the best choice for such activities. athletic,excellent stamina no genetic disposition to hips etc. excellent nose to alert you to the bad bear approaching your camp. loud,alarming voice to scare away such threats to your person, by said bear.LOL ohh yeah, you know i have some for sale, right? LOL
Hounds are too long in the back, too deeply splayed in the chest, and too and not thick enough in the leg for packing.
The worst dogs we have ever seen for sledding or packing display all these traits.
A short back and thick ,short legged dog will outlast a hound style shape every time , speed has NOTHING to do with stamina in the bush - it may be different in the mountain regions , but I doubt it very much.
I used my sled dogs to pack when there was no snow on the trap line and so have 100's of trappers others up here in years gone by.
Working dogs are lower to the ground form the most part and built for pulling, not for speed.
Cat
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I used my sled dogs to pack when there was no snow on the trap line and so have 100's of trappers others up here in years gone by.
Working dogs are lower to the ground form the most part and built for pulling, not for speed.
Cat
Your sled dogs weren't like these then.

Are you really considering breed specific pack dog legislation for big game hunting in Alberta, or what does this have to do with anything?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
You roll your eyes on what I told Tundra Monkey about legally only being able to run cats to harvest not to just chase in Alberta, but you avoided answering the question. So maybe if you feel my response to the question deserved the eye roll then maybe enlighten us with the legalities of cat hunting here. Like I stated I wasnt posative so instead of just posting smilies maybe you should take the time to contribute and inform your fellow AO members.
You claim to be a cougar hunter expert but I have yet to see you type one bit of info that actually shows you know anything.

SG
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM

nope, i am more concerned with the fact that fish and wildlife has allowed hunters to be accompanied by dogs while hunting big game. saying the law is flawed when your in violation of it, is well hmmm. so TvJ Swankey Enterpzries goes out to film a cat hunt, doesn't killl the cat, your saying that is illegal. someone out filming a hunt or along on a hunt to observe brings their collie/yuppie puppy along. since they are not going to kill the cat, they are not licensed. perhaps they all ready took a cat. is allowiing their yuppy puppy to participate in the hunt, illegal.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
nope, i am more concerned with the fact that fish and wildlife has allowed hunters to be accompanied by dogs while hunting big game. saying the law is flawed when your in violation of it, is well hmmm. so TvJ Swankey Enterpzries goes out to film a cat hunt, doesn't killl the cat, your saying that is illegal. someone out filming a hunt or along on a hunt to observe brings their collie/yuppie puppy along. since they are not going to kill the cat, they are not licensed. perhaps they all ready took a cat. is allowiing their yuppy puppy to participate in the hunt, illegal.
Where have they allowed hunters to be accompanied while hunting big game?

And I never said your couldnt film the cat now did I. And if you had half a clue you would see that they are hunting with a bow(Vanessa was). Oh and if you had a second clue you would see they are hunting with a hunter host hence meaning they were not hunting in Alberta.
I also never stated it was illegal to turn a cat down. And the area they hunted could have been closed to females or are trying to only harvest Toms like every responsible cat hunter does.

The comment was if it was legal to run cats in Alberta without a weapon with no plan to harvest a cat. Which in the case of TJ and the crew they do plan on harvesting a cat once the right cougar is treed.

Also I do not beleive there is a law stating what breed of dog has to be used to run cougars. So any dog can be on the hunt and participate in the hunting of Cougars. So yes our Yuppy Puppies can run cats just as much as your hounds.

LOL again you avoided answering questions and contributing to the thread with knowledge and just solidified your lack of knowledge with another usless post!
SG

Last edited by sheepguide; 01-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
A few pics of our boy actually hunting.....no chasing, harassing or molesting here

I'm willing to bet you could train that collie to get your ducks too....instead of an argo.....

Last edited by cover; 01-15-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Your sled dogs weren't like these then.

Are you really considering breed specific pack dog legislation for big game hunting in Alberta, or what does this have to do with anything?
nope, these are racing dogs, that pull lighter sleds on more open trails .
They use a tandem racing harness as well.
The set up is different from a "bush team" harness, or the Eskimo style fan traces that come off a single lead.
The harness and teams I am talking about typically used a collar style harness that was hooked on either side to the one in front of it and the the one behind.
All of my pics except one are on print, but I do have one in my photobucket.
I'll see if I can find it.
Cat
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

nope, i would guess that most dogs that accompany/pack are not ideally suited to the job,family pets,hunting dogs etc. they are along for the comfort and companionship of their owner. shouldn't be any different during hunting season. calling them a "pack dog" is a bit of a stretch. certianly not in the true sense of the word. there's always an exception to the case! i'd be quite content to have them just carry water, as that is the most improtant thing to me when i'm in the mountains. the more i think of it,the more i like it, probably means you'll never see it in alberta.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Perhaps Nait, it is time you stepped back from letter of the law mentality and focused on the topic. Given your wild distractions, it would be easy to say that the Alberta Government is in fact guilty of entrapping hunters of cougars knowing that they are promoting the harvest of toms and many females are being harassed in the meantime.
Are you sure you don't have a membership with PETA?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Nait,

If you have not yet done so I would encourage you to visit the link SG posted to the forum from the BC forum and see the amount of valuable contribution from dogs that has been experienced by many BC hunters. Doesn't seem to be all doom and gloom in BC.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Perhaps Nait, it is time you stepped back from letter of the law mentality and focused on the topic. Given your wild distractions, it would be easy to say that the Alberta Government is in fact guilty of entrapping hunters of cougars knowing that they are promoting the harvest of toms and many females are being harassed in the meantime.
Are you sure you don't have a membership with PETA?
perhaps, but the thread has been convoluted with many off topic comments,some illegal JMHO !!! and it has also drawn out the comments of those who are against hunting with dogs,that is anti hunting.

entrapment? no, with regards to big game,they have defined hunting as harass, it is the essence of hunting,it is what we do. it is what you do.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Nait,

If you have not yet done so I would encourage you to visit the link SG posted to the forum from the BC forum and see the amount of valuable contribution from dogs that has been experienced by many BC hunters. Doesn't seem to be all doom and gloom in BC.
Skinny...a wealth of info on the BC forum for sure ....kinda' got me thinking why I don't get out hunting big game as much as I used to...'cause I find myself wanting to hang out with the dogs birdin'......
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Nait Hadya;800643]perhaps, but the thread has been convoluted with many off topic comments,some illegal JMHO !!! QUOTE]

Could you quote these illegal activities? So we all can see.
You put JMHO in there and it is just that, an opinion not fact. Facts are backed by factual evidence, of which you have shown none.
SG

Last edited by sheepguide; 01-15-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling again LOL
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Nait,

i have, very impressed. packs will probably be ordered today
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Hounds are too long in the back, too deeply splayed in the chest, and too and not thick enough in the leg for packing.
The worst dogs we have ever seen for sledding or packing display all these traits.
A short back and thick ,short legged dog will outlast a hound style shape every time , speed has NOTHING to do with stamina in the bush - it may be different in the mountain regions , but I doubt it very much.
Cat
not my hounds! splayed chest,what does that even mean? a thick short legged dog does not sound like something that could climb mountains or travel very far,carry weight perhaps. i though the best sled dogs were hound crosses? the weight they carry would be less, that isn't a problem, caws their only there for company/protection anyways,right? not to carry a heavy payload?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
not my hounds! splayed chest,what does that even mean? a thick short legged dog does not sound like something that could climb mountains or travel very far,carry weight perhaps. i though the best sled dogs were hound crosses? the weight they carry would be less, that isn't a problem, caws their only there for company/protection anyways,right? not to carry a heavy payload?
take a look as a Plot, GSP, Redbone, etc, and a wolf.
the chests are deeper and thinner than breeds like the karilean, etc.
Racing dogs are hound crosses, not dogs meant for work.
Short strong legs are what is needed for packing .
I have quite a bit of experience with pack and sled ogs when i was younger, and this is what is need for a dog to earn its keep in the bush.
As far as mountains go,most mounbtain breeds all have thick legs that are not overly long for their bodies, as opposed the the hound crosses in racing teams - two completely different needs .....
Cat
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=sheepguide.you avoided answering questions and contributing to the thread with knowledge and just solidified your lack of knowledge with another usless post!
SG[/QUOTE]

your questions must have fallen on deaf ears, someone else has probably answered them,by now?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
your questions must have fallen on deaf ears, someone else has probably answered them,by now?
Nope I dont think they are deaf ears but they are ears that dont have the answers and keeps prooving their lack of knowledge about the sport in which they claims to be involved with.
Sure is funny when people avoid things and then try to justify it LOL
Keep up the good work Nait, you make everyone here look all the smarter.
SG
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Ok, once we resort to hurling insults, I tend to think the thread has run its course....