Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Default Nicholas Sheridan Lake in Lethbridge

Just went ice fishing today for my first time on Nicholas Sheridan Lake. Saw alot of Perch down on the bottom, and about ten Pike near the top. Only caught one Perch and a little Pike. Has anyone had success ice fishing out of this Lake? I have caught some big browns and brookies in the open water, but havent tried much during winter yet. Help me Out.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM

We were out there a couple weeks ago, and didn't have much luck. We got there at 9 am and fished right by all the reeds on the west side of the pond in about 10'-12' of water (this is where we were advised to fish by other fishermen). We saw a lot of BIG pike swim by, but only one decided to bite (didn't land him though). We had a couple brookies try and eat the smelt we had on as bait...but the smelt were just a bit too big for them. The bites were all within an hour of each other at around 9:30-10:30 am. We didn't have any bites after that and we stayed till about 2 pm. So I guess it's just a matter of finding the times when they are biting. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM

how big are the brookies?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

4-5lbs
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 PM

I caught some nice brookies and pike there back in Dec, and even a 21" brown. I went for a few hours last week and never saw a thing or had a bite. Use a smelt head on a jig and you can usually catch a few trout pretty quick!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM

Hey Darter,

I am sure there are a few in there that would reach the 4-5lbs range but for the most part I would say a decent one is a couple pounds which is still a pretty good brookie.

I am heading to a small lake south of lethbridge on saturday with a buddy but if things aren't panning out then we may make a pit stop at nich sheran to get a few trout and maybe some perch.

Nate
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 AM

lost the biggest trout I ever had on, I was jugging a Swedish pimple and it pulled a part the leader ripped it wide open , good fish story but true:angry 3:
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 AM

Where are you guys finding all the perch? I've only seen one perch in there and it seemed to be the length of my index finger.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRND View Post
Where are you guys finding all the perch? I've only seen one perch in there and it seemed to be the length of my index finger.
They seem to move around a lot, I've never found them in the same area twice. Biggest one I've seen was maybe only 6"
Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Darter,

I am sure there are a few in there that would reach the 4-5lbs range but for the most part I would say a decent one is a couple pounds which is still a pretty good brookie.

I am heading to a small lake south of lethbridge on saturday with a buddy but if things aren't panning out then we may make a pit stop at nich sheran to get a few trout and maybe some perch.

Nate
thanks NP.....
i remember fishing there when i was way younger...i remember it as a small pond with a bridge or something...just hard to connect the dots from big fsh to that pond. im getting curious enough to give it a try. Being in the city limits i could get kfc to deliver to my tent..lol
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM

If you make a trip down I could probably join you for the day and we could chow down on the kfc and hammer some trout and maybe even a big pike.

KFC is just down the road so you could even stop on your way to the lake to pick it up.

There is actually a couple bridge on that pond. It has a few different sections to the lake. There is the main part off of the boat launch where one side is shallow and drops slowly towards the middle and then other side drops off a little faster. Off of the main part there is a shallow gravel bay that has a big boulder point that drops off pretty quick. There is also a little canal area that runs around the island and heads into a weedy shallow back bay on the north end. Most of the fisherman just fish the main part of the lake near the cat tails or the boulders on the other side.

Nate
Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
If you make a trip down I could probably join you for the day and we could chow down on the kfc and hammer some trout and maybe even a big pike.

KFC is just down the road so you could even stop on your way to the lake to pick it up.

There is actually a couple bridge on that pond. It has a few different sections to the lake. There is the main part off of the boat launch where one side is shallow and drops slowly towards the middle and then other side drops off a little faster. Off of the main part there is a shallow gravel bay that has a big boulder point that drops off pretty quick. There is also a little canal area that runs around the island and heads into a weedy shallow back bay on the north end. Most of the fisherman just fish the main part of the lake near the cat tails or the boulders on the other side.

Nate
i remember the launch..if i remember weused to walk to south east from there to a dyke made of rocks or logs(?) . it was great flyfishing for 1-2 rainbows but i remember they were not good eating so we just caught and released.

thanks for info, im in the bridge once a month
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Ya you are talking about the logs that hold up the bank on the far side of the lake just after the big boulder point. That is a steeper drop off in the lake and seems to always have some fish hanging around. You don't see very many rainbows in there anymore but you can see big browns cruising the shallows and some brookies farther out most of the time during open water.

Nate
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingrocks View Post
Just went ice fishing today for my first time on Nicholas Sheridan Lake. Saw alot of Perch down on the bottom, and about ten Pike near the top. Only caught one Perch and a little Pike. Has anyone had success ice fishing out of this Lake? I have caught some big browns and brookies in the open water, but havent tried much during winter yet. Help me Out.

Everyone going there should kill their limit of perch...they are way to prolific for that lake. Thinning them out will only increase their size.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM

The problem with that sundace is I think it is illegal to keep any perch out of there. I could be wrong but I think it is the same as any other stocked trout pond with perch in it.

Riverstone pond also has perch in it and is fed by nich. sheran but I know for sure from talking to a C.O. that it is illegal to keep any from there.

The good thing about nich sheran is that there is some bigger pike and trout in there that I have seen target the perch so they are doing their job and keep the numbers down pretty good.

Nate
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ya you are talking about the logs that hold up the bank on the far side of the lake just after the big boulder point. That is a steeper drop off in the lake and seems to always have some fish hanging around. You don't see very many rainbows in there anymore but you can see big browns cruising the shallows and some brookies farther out most of the time during open water.

Nate
last time i drove down there i couldnt believe the expansion of west bridge. i wonder if i could even find the lake..lol.
i only go to the university.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
The good thing about nich sheran is that there is some bigger pike and trout in there that I have seen target the perch so they are doing their job and keep the numbers down pretty good.

Nate
I can agree with that, last time I managed to find a school of perch it seemed like by the time I got a decent size one interested they would disappear in a flash followed closely by several trout/pike. Then you have to wait 20 minutes for them to find their way back!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Hey Darter,

Instead of turning left and heading towards the university at the lights take a right and head that way until you see the lake on your left hand side. You can either park in the small parking lot that you pass there or you can keep going up to the next set of lights and make a left and follow that road until you can make another left into the parking lot there. The second lot I mentioned is the one with the boat launch. Alot less walking to get onto the lake from this parking lot.

When you take the right instead of heading left to the university you will drive right past the KFC so make sure to stop and get your chicken on the way.

nate
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Sundancefisher, you say everyone should kill thier limit of perch each time they fish Nicloas Sheridan, that is a foolish statement to make, Perch are a natural fish in this body of water, they have been in this res. since it was constructed in the 70,s never has there been a problem with the population.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Two weeks ago.. I got a really nice brook on a white plastic jig with a white head. can't seem to get the pike to bite though
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM

If you guys are going out on saturday and there's a red VW beetle there painted with logos (YOU CANNOT MISS IT).. I'm the black tent. Come say Hi. bigger guy wearing lots of clothes..
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 AM

I just thought I'd reiterate the above^^ If your coming out come say hi to me. Big guy black tent. I'll be there today with my little volkswagon... it's red and you CANNOT miss it
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
Two weeks ago.. I got a really nice brook on a white plastic jig with a white head. can't seem to get the pike to bite though
lol thats all iv been able to catch at nick during the hardwater we stayed for 2 hours and was using zara spooks in brown walking the dawg and a fast pase. name of the game is to just cover water in that pond and dont spend over 3 casts in one spot for the pike because theer predictors if they see it youll have a good chance theyll take it the 2nd time not as much and the third time you goto get flukes just keep on walking
tigt lines
Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Fish Hunter7;809468]lol thats all iv been able to catch at nick during the hardwater we stayed for 2 hours and was using zara spooks in brown walking the dawg and a fast pase.

how do you use a spook during the hard water season?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:18 AM

lol i ment during sof****er. thats why i aid casts sorry everyone but im sure ud kep the pace fast for the hardwater aswell max 15 mins a hole just keep drilling
Old 01-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny42 View Post
Sundancefisher, you say everyone should kill thier limit of perch each time they fish Nicloas Sheridan, that is a foolish statement to make, Perch are a natural fish in this body of water, they have been in this res. since it was constructed in the 70,s never has there been a problem with the population.
Ummm, natural fish in a constructed reservoir???

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM

two of us got into the perch today. Pulled up nearly 50. Then on the way back to the launch, I decided to jig at a open hole.. pulled up the biggest brown I'd ever see and he shook loose at the top of the hole .. Got another brookie also
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprime27 View Post
two of us got into the perch today. Pulled up nearly 50. Then on the way back to the launch, I decided to jig at a open hole.. pulled up the biggest brown I'd ever see and he shook loose at the top of the hole .. Got another brookie also
I knew I should have gone their today! instead I ended up at Keho and got skunked! between the three of us we only caught one and it was small
Old 01-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Hey gprime,
How big were the perch you pulled out today?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:11 PM

where is this resivior just asking might go there