Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Revelstoke

Hi guys, I'm heading to Revy for a ski trip next week and looks like the skiing may not be that great, was wondering if there is any fly fishing to be had on the Columbia or its tribs. Looks like Airport road follows the river south of town. I've read there are big rainbows, bulls and steelhead in there, however it can be hard to find them. Anyone have any experience fishing it in the winter? Look forward to hearing about your adventures, thanks !
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
Hi guys, I'm heading to Revy for a ski trip next week and looks like the skiing may not be that great, was wondering if there is any fly fishing to be had on the Columbia or its tribs. Looks like Airport road follows the river south of town. I've read there are big rainbows, bulls and steelhead in there, however it can be hard to find them. Anyone have any experience fishing it in the winter? Look forward to hearing about your adventures, thanks !
It would be pretty limited right now. Maybe some Bull Trout deep in the river south of town. Access would be tough if there is any amount of snow. Steelhead haven't been in that system in decades. Too many dams downstream.

Grew up there and have friend there who a serious fly anglers. They're busy tying right now when the skiing is slow.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM

There a number of spots on the ‘flats’ south of town that hold Bulls, Rainbows, Dolly Varden and the occasional Pike minnow. It’s been pretty wet down there so much of the snow is gone making access pretty good for this time of year. You’ll want to fish deep. I’ve personally had more luck relying more on a spin casting rod with red/white and black/white heavy bucktails with a bit of flash vs. a fly rod with sink line.

There a ton of places above the dam as well with good access and fishing. Just depends on how much time you have.

PM me if you want more details on access.