Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would be your primary deer-hunting caliber?
.243 Winchester 6 5.88%
.270 Winchester 30 29.41%
30-30 Winchester 3 2.94%
30-06 Springfield 10 9.80%
.308 Winchester 13 12.75%
7mm-08 Remington 12 11.76%
7mm Remington Magnum 12 11.76%
.338 Lapua Magnum 2 1.96%
.280 Remington 2 1.96%
None of the above 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That is what makes me wonder. Is there any shot you wouldn't take with a .270 in your hands that you would if you were holding a .300 WM or something even larger? Odd angle at 350 yards or something? If the answer is yes, then I'd rather have the larger caliber gun IF (and I mean IF) I could comfortably handle the recoil. I bought a .270 because I was a new shooter worried about recoil. But I found it was (to me, at 6'3" and 220 lbs) negligible. I can shoot that thing 50+ shots at the range with no discomfort. I believe I could handle something heavier, and with that realization, would probably have gotten a 30-06, .308, or something heavier to increase the versatility.
I can't see that a 300 mag would make me anymore comfortable for shooting deer vs a 270 winchester. Deer just aren't that big or tough, I haven't shot at distances past 300yds on big game, but I would say that a 270 with the right bullet will smoke any deer right out to 5-600yds, if the shooter can put it in the vitals.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM
gitrdun

Brad, I don't know you, but I already like you. In your post, you've admitted to being a green horn who's been put into a retail position and you openly admit to lacking knowledge to pass on to your clients. Good for you bud. I'd love to reply but that could be so lenghty that I couldn't even imagine spending so much time typing. So, instead I'll invite you to come shooting with me, you can sample my arsenal and we can talk ..... all day if you like. PM me if you're interested, I'm not that far from you and I have a 500 yd shooting range.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
I personally haven't shot alot of deer but I'll stand by my comment. Shoot a deer in the back leg with a .458 win mag and it isn't going to die quickly either. I think that alot of people buy a magnum with the idea that they can shoot through an animal from any angle, bashing through bone, muscle, everything to hit the vitals. I suspect that these are the same people who are overconfident with their shots (too far away or too much mass in the way of the vitals) and end up botching shots. I'll take a lower powered rifle that I can shoot well and know exactly where the bullet is going to hit (as far as is possible) with the self imposed restriction that I have to have a clear shot at the vitals than a howitzer that is going to wreck a huge pile of meat in the process.

If all deer stood broadside at 100 yds. there would be nothing wrong with a smaller caliber rifle, but in the life of hunting trophy size animals, it ain't always gonna work out like that, Would be nice, but just isn't. Big difference between doe hunters and trophy hunters I guess
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
gitrdun

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
If all deer stood broadside at 100 yds. there would be nothing wrong with a smaller caliber rifle, but in the life of hunting trophy size animals, it ain't always gonna work out like that, Would be nice, but just isn't. Big difference between doe hunters and trophy hunters I guess
I hunt grain fed does with the same rifle that I hunt trophy bucks with. What's the difference? Dead is dead? no? I've hunted deer and successfuly harvested them with .243 to .375H&H . Shot placement is worthier conversation than caliber selection IMHO.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I hunt grain fed does with the same rifle that I hunt trophy bucks with. What's the difference? Dead is dead? no? I've hunted deer and successfuly harvested them with .243 to .375H&H . Shot placement is worthier conversation than caliber selection IMHO.
Read back a post or two, you will see that I very much agree with proper shot placement. If you can make a heart shot consistently, then a .22 is all you really need (if legal). Unfortunately, not everyone makes the "perfect" shot everytime like many on this thread seem to make each and every time. If in an unfortunate instance you happened to hit a deer to far back (say in the hindquarters), tell me, what would you rather me shooting? .243 or .375? .375 would sound like the more ethical choice to me.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Read back a post or two, you will see that I very much agree with proper shot placement. If you can make a heart shot consistently, then a .22 is all you really need (if legal). Unfortunately, not everyone makes the "perfect" shot everytime like many on this thread seem to make each and every time. If in an unfortunate instance you happened to hit a deer to far back (say in the hindquarters), tell me, what would you rather me shooting? .243 or .375? .375 would sound like the more ethical choice to me.
Sorry, but I'm not sure what your rebutal is all about as we both seem to be in agreement. Yeah. shot placement is primary, but please....let's not go into the .22 calibers whether "ethical" or "legal", we both know it's too stupid!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
A deer hit in the hindquarters is a wounded deer, magnum or not!nothing ethical about shooting a deer in the ass.Standard calibers such as .243,.270 and such are easier to shoot than magnums....that is fact.People will shoot better with something they can handle with confidence....also a fact.Think before you type!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
A deer hit in the hindquarters is a wounded deer, magnum or not!nothing ethical about shooting a deer in the ass.Standard calibers such as .243,.270 and such are easier to shoot than magnums....that is fact.People will shoot better with something they can handle with confidence....also a fact.Think before you type!
Know many people that make a bad shot on an animal on purpose (pretty sure most are accidental)? Can't say I know any that do, and if I did, I wouldn't be hunting with them for long as that would definately be unethical. People will shoot better with something they can handle with confidence....very much fact. Calibers such as .243, .270 are easier to shoot than magnums.....fact for you? Maybe so, but not fact for everybody. So ditto there buddy, think before you type!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
gitrdun

Yet another simple question turned into a basic argument between a couple of simpletons.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Yet another simple question turned into a basic argument between a couple of simpletons.
I was just going to say the same thing. online arguments are like the special olympics, no matter if you win you're still R E T A R D E D

A little politically incorrect but you get the picture.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 PM

i am stating that standard calibers are easier to shoot due to less recoil.that is a fact.tolerance of recoil is a personal issue, i will agree with you on that.I also agree that poor shots are accidental but reducing the risk of accidents is ethical in my opinion.Ethics are are opinions and we all have our own. not trying to ruffle your feathers.if it works for you great but for a novice shooter,which is the point of this thread,i think a standard caliber is a good start and he can go from there if he so chooses to.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM
gitrdun

Look you guys...how in the heck do you turn this into a fight, let's help this young buck OK.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Thumbs up Best deer rifle

Hey, i read all the reply's and can't beleive nobody has mentioned the 264 Win mag. It was my first rifle which i only hunted deer, it was a great flat shooter and you can hop up the speed pretty good on reloads. The only problem i found was the availability of shells as i was living in a small town, and there were no sporting goods store's within an hour away. I am now shooting a 7 mm mag. As far as kick goes, you only feel it on the range after shooting a dozen rounds or so. When you are shooting at an animal, there is way to adrenalin in your body, when you pull the trigger it won't even faze you. I did love the 264 win mag for deer, however the 270, 7mm, 30-06 are all good. You do need to ask yourself whether you will be going after bush-bucks or open shoots!!! Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Shmag,

The way I figure it, most of my shooting will be fairly open, although I'm sure that I'll make more than one attempt at critters hiding in the brush. I appreciate the suggestion of a new caliber. However, the problem I'm having with it is that .264 Winchester Magnum cartridges, as you said, are a little less common. I'd like to keep my first rifle in a caliber that is widely available, just so I can experiment with several different types of ammunition, for both hunting and curiosity purposes. I've realized in the last 24 hours that not only do I want to learn to hunt, and hunt well, but 15 or 20 years down the road, when I've got some experience, and I encounter a new hunter, I want to be able to share as much information as I can. I find that the people on this site are trying to be helpful, first and foremost, and that means something.

I'll use an example. I am a reptile keeper as a hobby, and have been for a lot of years. And, being part of a misunderstood group there, I've not only done what I can to advance my knowledge of reptile keeping, but I also feel that being part of that social community, it's my responsibility to project a positive image so that others may begin to accept that as a hobby. As far as killing the stereotypical blood-hungry hunter image the general public seems to see, correctly or not, I feel that if I take up hunting as a sport, it's part of my responsibility to do what I can to change how people see hunters. For the life of me, I can't remember who posted in one of my threads, but his signature read "True hunters are conservationists". And I think that, for the large part, that's true.

Brad
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 AM

I suspect more deer have been harvested with 303 british and 30/30 than any other caliber in the past 50 years.

Don't see a reason for it to stop working.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
I can't remember who posted in one of my threads, but his signature read "True hunters are conservationists". And I think that, for the large part, that's true.

Brad
the bumper sticker on my truck reads,

"Kids who Hunt Trap and Fish
Don't mug little old Ladies"

I think you understand, those who fail to manage the resources they depend upon starve to death. Few of us today depend upon these resources for survival, yet if we fail to manage them responsibly they will be gone. It is a huge responsibility.

Welcome to the forums btw I've been enjoying your excellent questions.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk2 View Post
I suspect more deer have been harvested with 303 british and 30/30 than any other caliber in the past 50 years.

Don't see a reason for it to stop working.
That's true. I've got an .303 brit and it's a "blast" to shoot. great deer gun as well.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:17 AM

Default 303

Important part of our history it is, everyone should Have a Lee Enfield in the case
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 AM

From everything you listed, I'd still say there is more than one option but, there really is only one at the top of the list.

1) You want a "caliber" for deer primarily.

2) Most of your shooting will be in the open.

3) You want a cartridge that is commonly available.

4) You are a new shooter who is unsure of what you will be willing to accept as far as recoil goes.

Answer) If you're buying a new to you rifle then, 270 Winchester, end of discussion. If somebody gives you a rifle take whatever in a cartridge that has been discussed, and use it.

For what it's worth in your poll, out of what you listed, I chose the 7-08, but I'm a gunnut and enjoy reloading.

Good luck.

P.S. Do you really think you need the 338 Lapua in your poll?

Last edited by Homesteader; 11-06-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, i read all the reply's and can't beleive nobody has mentioned the 264 Win mag
...............current ammo and die sales should dictate why this dinosaur wasn't mentioned.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Default first rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonburrows View Post
Doesnt matter what you shoot, if you make a proper broadside shot through the lungs you're only gonna wreck a few ribs, if you make a bad shot and hit the animal in the front or hind quarters with a magnum rifle youre gonna make hamburger, stick with the 270 winchester its a good first gun especially since you dont have any experience shooting you want to practice shooting and not be afraid of recoil,

All that arguing to get back to the first response to his question.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
For what it's worth in your poll, out of what you listed, I chose the 7-08, but I'm a gunnut and enjoy reloading.
............................probably one of the sweetest little rounds that can do it all out to 300 yards be it deer, moose or elk with minimal powder and recoil. All in a nice short action package. There is just something about that .284 bullet stuffed in a .308 winchester case that does it for me. But then again here i am hunting again with a .30-06
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=MountainTi;208708 If in an unfortunate instance you happened to hit a deer to far back (say in the hindquarters), tell me, what would you rather me shooting? .243 or .375? .375 would sound like the more ethical choice to me.[/QUOTE]

If I'm that bad of a shot or shooting beyond what I'm capable of I shouldn't be shooting. .50 BMG isn't going to save you from taking a shot you shouldn't.

I don't hunt for trophies so if I see "the buck of a lifetime" I'll probably take a shot at it but if I have to go through the entire deer to hit the vitals I'll wait. If the shot doesn't present then it doesn't. I guess I'm just working on a different value set.

Beginner hunter. Not addicted to antlers. Willing to not shoot every deer he sees. 7mm-08, .308, .270. Any of them is all you will likely ever need. 'nuff said.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

I aint read all the posts but i think a .308 or 30-06 would be great guns, IMHO. Both have a huge range of ammo selections from lightweight to heavey weight. I think ive seen 30-06 in 220grain.
With .308 rounds you can get battle packs of surplus ammo and shoot it for a reasonable price all year. Imagine how good of a shot you would be, and how comfortable you would get, if ya shot that thing on a regualr basis. SA_WEET! keeping in mind that hunting rounds are different than milsurp and will shoot different.
Just dont get a big gun thinking "if i dont hit it good, this big caliber will knock 'er down anyways".
Huge calibers do not substitute for poor shot placement.
I hunt with a no1 mk3 lee enfield in >303 with open sights, so that shows my, um, "practicallity"
Have fun and give'er!

Last edited by Cooeylover; 11-06-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Ah, i cant spell!!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM

I have got just about 1300"s of horn (gross scored) 3 mule and 6 whitetails in the last 8 years of hunting with my tika 25-06. Last year I took out my 300 ultra mag for my mule buck got cocky with the big gun syndrome and ended up losing a 200 class deer over it (bad shot stupid angle stupid me). I have found that any gun that you shoot alot and get accustome to will kill any thing you want to. I shoot alot of shells every year and shoot all of my guns well but I will always shoot a small cal with less recoil for deer just take the time to make a good shot
Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Deer Caliber

Brad,

Started Big Game hunting with a .303 LE
Moved to a .308 Rem 700 VLS
Have a .243 on order for next year (and beyond).
Hunting this year with a 20 Ga & slugs.

As long as you place the shot, your quarry will drop. Just be patient, a good shot will present itself, if a good shot is not presented then it was'nt meant to be, and wait until the next opportunity.

Of course saying "be patient" as a fat old guy with a good number of successes is easy, when I started I was very eager and had to learn to slow down and think through the testosterone fog!

As a reptile keeper you probably already have respect for animals, just extend that to your deer hunting and you will find waiting for the right shot is just another form of respect because it will result in a clean, quick kill.

Good luck with your search and hunting.

Also there is a saying in the shooting community, beware of the man with one gun!

If you want to try different calibres go to a range that rents guns, it may cost you but it will give you appreciation for what's out there.

Last edited by Sputnik; 11-07-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Once again, I thank everyone that took the time to participate, especially in my recently added poll. Seems from popular opinion that the .270 Winchester seems like a good caliber.

I'd like to address a few comments since my last post here. Firstly, regarding shooting at deer and shot placement, my first concern in taking down a deer is a humane kill. My understanding is that for the most humane shot, you need a clear view of the lungs and/or heart. Therefore, broadside or barely quartering in one direction or the other is obviously the ideal, or perhaps straight-on. Now, obviously this isn't always going to happen, since I don't think the deer are big on the idea of me shooting them. So with that said, I'd like to say that despite my inexperience in this venture, I consider myself to be a pretty intelligent guy. I also know my limits. So I would definitely not even consider taking a shot unless I thought that it was going to be as quick and clean of a kill as possible. To me, a shot at the hindquarters doesn't seem like a shot at all. As far as Sputnik was saying, I can understand that an experienced hunter obviously has the patience, but I'd rather wait for a shot that I am confident in than just start blasting holes in a deer in the hopes that the trauma kills it. Not only would I like to see this animal die quickly and as painlessly as it can, but I'd also eventually like to eat it, and I typically enjoy my meat free of bullet holes.

I'd like to thank Homesteader in particular for his remarks. He seems to understand my situation entirely, and, once again, has enforced the idea that a .270 Winchester is a good choice of caliber.

Thanks again for all the posts, and please take a second to offer your opinion in the poll above.

Brad
Old 11-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Brad first off let me comend you on your attitude as far as wanting to make an ethical kill. It is the very least the game we hunt deserves. I have been reading many of your posts you have come up with some great questions, keep them coming and like dick284 said in another one of your threads look to other sources for information, seek out the answers on you own, but I am pretty sure you are doing this as well.

I have voted for a .270 for you as well, but I will freely admit I am ver biased. My only hunting rifle right now is a 270 ruger I have been using for 4 seasons, I bought it used off a friend of mine. Everything I have seen from this caliber tells me it is a deer slayer, it is a very accurate gun. i put a limbsaver recoil pad on it last year and love shooting it almost no felt recoil.

My second choice would be a .308 great all around gun and range of bullets, same can be said for 30-06 but recoil might be an issue? 7mm-08 is a really cool caliber as well and would fit the bill nicely, but a little limited by availability of factory ammo, i know i had a buddies and wast trying to find ammo to try out and it was a bit of a pain, but if you reloaded it would be awesome.

I would like to extend you an invitation to the range, I live in langdon and the range i go to is just on the south east corner of Calgary. you can shoot my 270 and i have a 30-06 in my possesion right now so you could shoot that too to see what you like. Sorry I dont have more for you to try but might give you an idea where to start. PM me if you are interested we can try to get out for a couple hours one weekend.

Dont get too hung up on brand as far as guns go, shoulder them all an see what fits and feels good if it has the features you are looking for, go for it, hope you get a bit of a staff discount!

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Wow, I haven't heard this discussion for aprox. 3 hrs. Not a new conversation and can be debated forever. If this is your first rifle get something that isn't going to cause you to flinch. With that being said use a large enough caliber to kill quickly and as humanely as possible. Next and probably the most important rule of hunting is "Sight in your gun shoot it alot and know that when you put the cross hairs on an animal 99% of the time you will hit your target. I would say if you want to hunt this year you are to late to know your new rifle that well. Next lookup the animal you will be hunting and understand when it is broadside or quarteing away from you or towards you that you know where to aim to kill. This is probably the #1 factor with hunters wounding animals and having to track them for miles or giving up and not bringing home what they shot. That drives me nuts and puts a blemish in hunting in general and in the eyes of bleeding heart Liberals.
My experience so far is I own alot of rifles and have shot alot of rifles but my first rifle was a .270 winchester, still have it and have hunted with it for 22 years and have killed everything I have shot at. I'm not bragging just my experience. It knocks the crap out of deer bear and moose from 50 yrds to 300 yrds without ever having to chamber a second round. Recoil is minimal and if I was to put my life on the line I would reach for my .270 because I know that rifle the best.
Sorry for the long thread "Just my 2 cents" well maybe 4 cents, lol.
Good luck and Good hunting
Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 PM

The 270 win is my favorite. I still use the same one I started out with over 30 years ago. My next favorite would be the 2506.

Aim Small Miss Small