Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Pushing Sales

This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers. It is NOT for the promotion of products or services by businesses.

Can't we keep it that way. Selling the odd item seems fine to me, but not continually pushing a store.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Care to expand on that a little bit??
Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM

I thought that was what the buy sell section was for??
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM

I'm guessing this is about the Reel Doctor. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with those posts. They were made as direct responses to a query.

There are times when I've asked for advice regarding a product or service, and an answer has been given supporting a manufacturer or merchant.

If they weren't made as direct responses, then I agree with you that they don't belong here (but rather over in the "Buy & Sell" forum).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Yes, I was speaking of the Reel Doctor. DarkAisling, almost every post on here could be answered by stores pushing themselves if you want to get down to it. When I see 3-4 consecutive posts answered with sales pitches, I just think it is wrong. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM

Disagree. If someone asks a question I see no problem with someone else recommending a particular product or service. If I'm the one doing the asking I WANT that sort of input.
What I have a problem with is a few people using the buy and sell section when it seems that they aren't getting rid of a few things, but selling a large amount of product on a regular basis. Actually, I don't even have that big a problem with that, though I think Rob M may, since the advertiser should really be paying him. But if he doesn't cut it off who am I to complain? I don't have to open the thread.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
Yes, I was speaking of the Reel Doctor. DarkAisling, almost every post on here could be answered by stores pushing themselves if you want to get down to it. When I see 3-4 consecutive posts answered with sales pitches, I just think it is wrong. Just my opinion though.
Then perhaps the entire Buy & Sell section should be taken out. Even if you are selling a used item, you are still selling a company name.
How is a small business supposed to grow when they can't use free advertising?? I could see a problem if Orvis or Sage started posting prices and sales, but not a local business.
I think if you were in their position, you would do the same because I know I would.
He also did respond to the thread trying to help the forum member
Just my opinion
cheers
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM

Default The rules are the rules

The rules are the rules...

From Message Board Rules..
"This message board is for the sharing of information among hunters, anglers and trappers. It is NOT for the promotion of products or services by businesses. If you wish to promote your products or services, please contact our sales manager."

Those posts by the RD were a clear violation of this rule. One uninformed instance seems forgivable, but if it continues, it's SPAM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
But how's Trevor going to afford all those accesories for his tournament boat? lol
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

According to the letter of the law here, it's not allowed, but I don't really care one way or another.

It's just plain tacky as far as I'm concerned. I'll be less likely to give my business to the reel doctor...

Waxy
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Dually Noted!

Ok Guys , I hear ya ,And I will not offer any more advice or savings on fishing gear anylonger on here! I never realized this would cause such an issue? I was merely trying to help and didnt realize I was breaking the rules, Now I do So therefore it will stop! I have saved you guys thousands of dollars over retail on new Items for years! Apparently it is not appreciated! Dually Noted!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyeca View Post
Ok Guys , I hear ya ,And I will not offer any more advice or savings on fishing gear anylonger on here! I never realized this would cause such an issue? I was merely trying to help and didnt realize I was breaking the rules, Now I do So therefore it will stop! I have saved you guys thousands of dollars over retail on new Items for years! Apparently it is not appreciated! Dually Noted!
That's not true at all I'm sure lots of people appreciate your offerings but It's not fair to paying sponsors of this site that you get to advertise for free and they pay.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
That's not true at all I'm sure lots of people appreciate your offerings but It's not fair to paying sponsors of this site that you get to advertise for free and they pay.
No I totally agree friend therefore I apologise for my actions! I will not post in this forum any longer your very right its not fair its just i didnt realize that I was breking the forum rules therefore the people have spoken!thanks very much for your understanding guys just a small business trying to survive! T
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Default advertising

A person can give personal expertise about products, comparison of products or their personal preferences of one product over the other with out breaking the advertising rules. Its when they work for a company and continually state come to my store or continually name that store/company that they are breaking forum rules. We have several people on here who are experts in their chosen fields relating to the outdoors who avoid promoting their stores or products when posting yet still give tons of information to questions asked.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
A person can give personal expertise about products, comparison of products or their personal preferences of one product over the other with out breaking the advertising rules. Its when they work for a company and continually state come to my store or continually name that store/company that they are breaking forum rules. We have several people on here who are experts in their chosen fields relating to the outdoors who avoid promoting their stores or products when posting yet still give tons of information to questions asked.
GREAT POST LILSUNDANCE . Well said .

You know as a small business owner , am not against the people who are willing to pay to advertise glad there able to do so . Theres a a fine line between over doing it and such . Heck my business logo has been my Avatar for months and no ones said anything , yet im making sales . Your able to spread your word with out going over board and listing items and such .

walleyeca Don't let the Forum know it all's get to you there full of so much pee and vinegar its not even funny .
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 AM

Thank you lilsundance,
You have stated what I was meaning from my first post. I am a small business owner of a few companies, but rarely have to use one of my companies' names in postings, and don't believe I should, unless asked a direct question about them. In BBJ's avatar, I find nothing wrong with it. You are not pushing your company in any way by simply having your logo as your avatar. I have dealt with BBJ in the past, though he probably wouldn't remember me, and still deal with Trevor at his store, but just did not like the advertising, rather than 'help' that I seemed to see. I am really sorry this thread has gone where it has, as no harmful intentions were meant, just a clarification of the rules.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Albertahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
very well said
Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM

I don't Know Trever, but I have used his shop a few times. Edmonton is lucky to have somewhere that specialized in repairs and parts for fishing gear.
I don't find his post to be a problem, they are more like info and pricing than selling tactic. And if he can save us AO guys a few buck and the headache of searching for stuff........Good on Him.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you lilsundance,
In BBJ's avatar, I find nothing wrong with it. You are not pushing your company in any way by simply having your logo as your avatar. .
Strongly disagree..a logo by any other name is still a logo..and under the express rules of this board, should not be used.
By putting a coca cola logo on my postings, am I not pushing coca-cola?
eespecially, if I'm the distributor in Alberta? (which i'm not, by the way).
I think if we're going to ban free advertising, then let's go all the way.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Strongly disagree..a logo by any other name is still a logo..and under the express rules of this board, should not be used.
By putting a coca cola logo on my postings, am I not pushing coca-cola?
eespecially, if I'm the distributor in Alberta? (which i'm not, by the way).
I think if we're going to ban free advertising, then let's go all the way.
BBJ's avatar is a logo for a company????? God, it's so small I never noticed. THE HORROR!!!!

I think this particular complaint needs to be put in the "Get A Life" file. It reminds me of how a friend of ours got reamed out by some busybody for walking in an off-leash dog park without having a dog with her. Was told she wasn't supposed to be doing that.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Okotokian:
I suppose that when you have your own site, you can set any rule that you like and can allow any behavior that you want to. Until then, as long as we are using this site, it seems only reasonable that we follow their rules. They are paying the bills and putting in the work to maintain this site which is a great FREE resource to the Alberta hunting and fishing community.

Mud

Last edited by Mudslide; 11-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM

I think the mods do a pretty good job enfocing the rules while not being too a-nal about it. Trevs posts were pretty blatant, but he said sorry and that he was not aware of the rules. NO BIG DEAL!
Thanks guys!
Mud
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I think the mods do a pretty good job enfocing the rules while not being too a-nal about it. Trevs posts were pretty blatant, but he said sorry and that he was not aware of the rules. NO BIG DEAL!
Thanks guys!
Mud
Couldn't agree more, but..blatant or not, free advertisiong is still free advertising, and i don't think it's fair to single out just Trev and not someone else, whether it's BBJ or whoever.
Nothing personal BBJ, I hope you understand that..I just think fair is fair.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

Walleyeca, if it's any consolation, I'd WAY rather see the advertisement threads than the begging for votes threads.

Waxy
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Walleyeca, if it's any consolation, I'd WAY rather see the advertisement threads than the begging for votes threads.

Waxy
Very well put!!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Waxy
hahahahaha NICE
Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
troller

Quote:

Waxy
Amen!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM

didnt even realize BBJ's avatar was a logo, its too small to see anyways, find something else to beatch about!!!!! or like someone else said, get a life!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
didnt even realize BBJ's avatar was a logo, its too small to see anyways, find something else to beatch about!!!!! or like someone else said, get a life!!!
X2 that logo is so small in BBJ's avatar that you can't even read it!

This does make me think of a car audio forum I belong to. They have a vendor or sponsor membership that they charge a small monthly fee for. The vendors are then allowed to offer forum members their products and services.

Normally the vendor will make initial contact in an open thread, and then dealings are taken to PM. The vendors aren't allowed to openly flog their shop/business around or anything like that, but they are allowed to offer deals to forum members.

Maybe something like this would be an option for sort of a 'happy medium'.

Just as an example, The Reel Doctor does have some great deals, and offers services that are hard to come by. This way he would still be able to offer his services/products to forum members while kicking back a little to the operators as well. Everybody wins?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams