Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 PM

I’m on my second tundra. First one was a 2015 in the 1794 model. Loved it! So when they called and asked me to trade in on a new 2017 with the bigger tank I jumped on it. I’m a rig consultant so I put lots of miles on chasing the rig around, I put 117,000km on the 2015 in 18 months. Never had a single issue. My 2017 is a platinum and I really like it, I did the 4” lift and 33” tires, fender flares, tonneau cover etc. I am very happy with it
Avg 16L/100km, I drive a little faster than I should and it’s got the bigger tires.
I’ve got 62,000km on the new one and zero issues.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 PM

17 Tacoma Off Road double cab. Average 11.5-12.5 depending on outside temps. Best ever 9.8 on one tank, 90-100km/h.

Not a truck I'd want for more then two people, but it has enough room for gear with two guys. Rides nice. I drive almost exclusively in tow mode, and it runs like a truck should. It's a tired dog running around in drive without the tow mode (ECT). Without tow mode on the truck upshifts far too quickly, and actually uses more fuel because its lugging. Keep it above 1800rpm, and it's relatively happy.

Also has squeaky leaf springs, but there is a new tsb for that.

I'm still happy that I got it, but I did expect better from Toyota. Always drove full size GM's prior, but needed to downsize. If I had the room, I'd of stayed full size. Far more interior space, and cargo capacity. Fuel economy on the newer 1/2 tons isn't far off the little guys.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM

I just picked up a used 2010 Tundra DC Limited last week, only ran one tank through it and it came in bang on 19 MPG. First Toyota I’ve ever owned, not sure why I went that route as I’m a diehard Ford guy, but so far I’m loving this Tundra..

Jim...
Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 PM

I had a 2009 Tacoma, easily the worst vehicle I have ever owned including a 1990 ford Tempo.

Rattlebucket, terrible ergonomics, got the same mileage as my previous 5.4l V8 F150, back seat completely unusable.

The truck was terrible in every way, the only thing worse than the truck was the service a Mayfield Toyota.
I wouldn't own a toyota product for all the money in the world, all right well maybe for all the money...
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 PM

I have a US made Tacoma, o7, double cab v 6 and get 22 mpg on hiway and 17 to 19 off road. I really like the truck, locker rear end, 6 spd trans and loaded & w/ short box. My friend does like getting into it, cant fiqure it out..... either he has a big head or the door frame is too low...lol
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 AM

2013 Taco here, double cab, long box, auto.
Bought the truck brand new and really like it. Just went over 100,000 kms a couple months ago. No problems at all, just oil changes, spark plugs and tires (My choice, stock tires suck!). Fuel economy is ok for me, not the best, but hey its a truck so what do you expect and at least it's not a thirsty V8.

Many times I wished I would have bought a Tundra, but to be honest, this thing does everything I ask of it. And at the end of the day, I can park it in my garage with room to spare, a smaller fuel bill and overall easier to drive and take care of. It has hauled so much reno crap and materials to and from my house. It tows my camping trailer and a full size quad in the bed.
I did buy sumo springs bump stops for the rear springs for around $300, best mod you could do! The back does not sag as much with a heavy load.

The back seats are perfectly fine for adults. Plenty of room for hunting gear when I go out.

I honestly can't say anything bad about my truck. No vehicle will ever be perfect but this one is up there.

And you know the saying....
Anything will get you there, but a Toyota will get you back...
Old 10-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Centre close

I've had a couple Tundras for work, first a 2010 and now a 2012. Fuel economy usually ranges from 15-17L/100km, mostly highway and off road driving. Decent size fuel tank but the range to empty is very inaccurate. At 0km to empty or close to it I can put 75 litres into a 100 litre tank. Otherwise its been a very nice truck to drive, solid and low maintenance. I like that with the four door model I can still fit my Honda 420 in the back and close the tailgate.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM

2017 Tacoma. Access Cab TRD Offroad.
My fourth Tacoma, after 2003, 2004, 2007.
They were all standards. No feedback from me about the autos. You can find lots of that on Tacoma World. There have been a few Service Bulletins to reprogram it though, from what i've read the latest one was pretty decent.

Tacoma owners have always touted reliability, and then complained about mileage and power in the same breath. Toyota finally geared down the transmission in the hopes to appease the mileage complaints - and the peasants revolted. So now they've taken a step back. The mileage is still fairly decent - its a brick shaped truck, not a sleek little car.

I get 11L/100km in mine, cruising at 100. I've heard it gets a bit better in time, as I only have 2500km on my odometer.

Once you start paying attention, you'll see hundreds of them on the road. That kind of popularity should say something to you. Also, lots of parts to be had!

Really fun truck to drive. I can turn all my nanny controls off and it doesn't feel cluttered with a billion dials, buttons and switches on the dash.

Don't let the plastic box deter you, its actually pretty durable. If you buy new, get them to throw in the rubber bed mat and the Tub Style floormats. Both are great additions.

You WILL want more power at some point, unless you're the patient sort like me, cruising at 100 on HWY22.. ticking off all the people who seem to think the limit is 120. Haha!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

2008 Taco TRD.......

Good to go
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 PM

2016 Tundra crewmax, 5.7L with slightly oversized duratracks. Averaged 14.7L combined city/highway over 30000km. It improved markedly at about 18-20000km. Exactly neck and neck where my 2011 F-150 5.0L was.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
First one was a 2015 in the 1794 model
*drool*
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 AM

I have toyota looking for a used tubdra double cab with a 8’ box damn hard to come by. Anyone knows of one let me know
Old 10-29-2017, 11:43 AM

2012 Trd full cab. Great truck. Small with kids but workable. Only issue I’ve had is the damn front dif fill plug. Apparently just about everybody strips them.

Rattles and floats more than a full size truck on standard gravel roads but performs better on narrow trails/logging roads etc.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Open diffs on the front and rear seem to be the norm on Toyota 4x4 trucks. Does anyone see any issues with the lack of a locker in the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
I had a 2009 Tacoma, easily the worst vehicle I have ever owned including a 1990 ford Tempo.
What's the matter with a Ford Tempo? This guy considers it to be a real 'drivers car'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ws_Bp7WYA
Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Open diffs on the front and rear seem to be the norm on Toyota 4x4 trucks. Does anyone see any issues with the lack of a locker in the rear?

What's the matter with a Ford Tempo? This guy considers it to be a real 'drivers car'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ws_Bp7WYA
Mine has factory rear locker. Some models have them, some don't.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM

I picked up an 08 Tundra double cab long box a month and a half ago. Had 266000 Kms on it and drives as tight and solid as a new GM. Love the truck. Worked it hard guiding in sask for a month and it didn't skip a beat. Fuel mileage is horrible, but I don't care. Love the long box. Took a while to find one. The turning radius is very short compared to the long GMs. From what I hear the 5.7 will last forever with proper maintenance. There is some corrosion going on in the box where the box sits on top of some cross members that I need to fix. But other than that not a spot of rust anywheres else.

And now onto dolling it up as I cannot leave things stock!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 AM

Had 2013 gas guzzling Tundra double cab. Not only hard on gas but the fuel guage is off on almost all the Tundra's by about 20 litres. Tried several times to get Toyota to admit the error and fix it but all I got was it was like a reserve. LOL They last a long time but so do all the other full size trucks as long as you keep up maintenance. If you are stuck on Toyota then go with the Tacoma.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Default Real world data

To the OP: you asked for real world info,and you’re getting some. How are you going to use it? As you can see, personal reports on fuel use, even for the same vehicle, are quite variable...’cause there are a lot of variables. I can tell you that I routinely get 12l/100km on the highway with my 2007 Tundra Dbl Cab. That likely is above average, but what you really need to know for the info to be useful are the missing details.

First off, you need to know engine and drivetrain details (mine has the 5.7 litre). You also need to know about accessories and modifications. Lots of potential causes there for reduced (or slightly improved) fuel economy: bigger wheels and tires, canopies and racks, lift and leveling kits, different exhaust, performance chips, etc. Even seemingly minor things like tow mirrors vs. regular have an effect. Mine has no mods other than running boards, bedliner and a box cover.

You also need to know about where and how it’s used. Driving in the hills with a load of family and gear can really increase fuel use. When I get 12/100, I’m usually only carrying a wife and son and some light gear for a weekend at the lake, and I’m not dealing with a stiff headwind. That hurts!

Finally, the most important variables to sort out are the personal ones. They can have the greatest effect. How is the vehicle being driven? I regularly drive like a granny, optimizing for reduced fuel use. If I’m feeling punchy, and I treat the throttle accordingly, it’s shocking how much gas I can burn. Even a couple of episodes of exuberance can drop the average big time.

One thing this should tell you is that vehicles have inherent or potential fuel use characteristics, and this might be what you really want to know, but it’s hard to get that by just asking folks on a message board to report their “real world”. The better approach is to find larger data sets that you can sort and compare, apples to apples. The Fuelly website is a good resource for that. Just need to be mindful it’s American, so you have to convert from US to Imperial gallons. I recall the pooled average fuel use for 2007 Tundra double cabs being 14 mpg. Add roughly 20% for unit conversion and that’s nearly 17 mile per Imperial gallon. Now, you can compare that against other vehicles. When I do this, I am often surprised at how small the differences are between similar vehicles in a category (e.g light double cab trucks). Big picture, it’s damn hard to get past the laws of physics.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Bought a 2012 Tacoma new. Love it. Kicking myself for not getting the Tacoma sooner. Went with the quad cab as it is both a hunting and family vehicle. Goes everywhere, does everything. The smaller size compared to the Tundra makes parking in the city convenient. Has a nice weight balance for off-road and icy roads. Fuel consumption is reasonable for a truck, but can't say I have every truly calculated and measured. Mine is running strong. No hesitations about going with another Tacoma in a few years time.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 PM

Default 2015 Toyota Tundra

I have a 2015 Toyota Tundra double cab, 8' long box, 5.7 4x4. All stock, no mods, most of my driving is on the highway, I have gotten as low as 11.1 ltr/100km using cruise @ 102km pr/hr speed, +7*c. And towing my boat with head wind, about 14.5 ltr/100 km, if no wind 12.5-13 ltr / 100 km. Lots of power when needed! I have the 100 ltr tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ross IPhone 413.jpg (49.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06269.JPG (109.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by KUDUHNTR; 12-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:08 PM

My dad had a 08 Tacoma and the kid has a 02 Tundra. Both good trucks, nothing to write home about on gas mileage, but not terrible either. They are good trucks for sure, but I have seen a lot of just as good Chevys, Fords, and even Dodges for that matter. My dad has had a 12 Dodge on northern Saskachewan roads since new. Never been in the shop for anything other than oil change and tires, has about 140,000 km now. His Toyota was in two or three times by the time he rolled it with about 90,000 km on it. Nothing major just some oil seals and such, but really no different than any other brand. Same thing with the son's truck. I just have a hard time justifying the price, as well Toyota will not allow any smaller communities to have a dealership, so for me that's a non starter.