Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM

Default How Is That Even Possible??

The temptation to speculate regarding the ethnicity or gender of the drivers involved in this story is strong....but my wife and daughter already scolded me for doing so at home, and I'm on a roll not getting suspended so far...but seriously, how do you even do this??

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-lot-1.4431931

The clearance on that little car would make me wonder how it got over the curb, never mind up there! Do some drivers just instinctively go harder on the gas when they hear the grinding and crunching??

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Too bad they are removing the rock. I wonder what the drivers tell their insurance company.......
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

You'd think there'd be more front end damage, given the size of that rock.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:41 PM

I always enjoy stories about the triumph of nature.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:46 PM

This is what happens when you allow your citizens to purchase a motor vehicle operators license from the equivalent of a box of Cracker Jacks.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-04-2017, 07:29 PM

When I worked in the industrial park we on occasion had to lift refrigerated trailers off those giant 6ft yellow posts to protect fences and such. Couldn’t understand how anyone would miss something like that and the guy that ran the refrigeration place always asked the driver as we were lifting them off if they know a kid is much shorter than those posts. There was always some strong glances at the ground at that point.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 PM

About a year and half ago I saw a car right in the middle in the south zoo parking lot on top of one of those concrete jersey barriers. How on heavens.........
Still wish I would have turned back around and took a pic
WDF
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM

Default How Is That Even Possible??

I drove bus in Calgary for 10 years. Reminds me of each time I came upon a car in one of the bus traps. They always said they didn’t see it. I’d always ask right back “You didn’t see the giant hole in the road? Or the 4x8 sign with a picture of the hole saying STOP Road Impassable”
Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Leave the rock there, the people that have an issue with it, shouldn't be driving anyways.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
I drove bus in Calgary for 10 years. Reminds me of each time I came upon a car in one of the bus traps. They always said they didn’t see it. I’d always ask right back “You didn’t see the giant hole in the road? Or the 4x8 sign with a picture of the hole saying STOP Road Impassable”
Unreal.

My cousin drove bus and C train for 35 years there as well, it was a regular thing to see cars in the bus trap at silver springs. We always got a good head shake out of it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM

There was a similarly placed rock at a strip mall near my house in Edmonton. I can’t count how many vehicles I saw perched atop that rock over the years, but alas the city removed it a couple of years ago, and with that ended my utter joy of eagerly anticipating what model of vehicle I’d see up there next....

I’m convinced there are “drivers ed” companies out there that are making cash deals under the table to get new Canadians their drivers licenses. At least once a week I follow someone on my way to or from work that simply doesn’t have a clue.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Last year I had been doing some work in a parkade to run pipes to serve the commercial tenancy above, as I was around the corner from where the parkade ramp comes to a T intersection I set up some safety pylons to keep drivers slowed down and forewarned of my presence. One lady who drove a BMW SUV and operated a neighboring business drove over my pylon 2 or three times right before my eyes. I got in the habit of getting off the ladder when she approached. Yes, she fit into a stereotyped demographic; accurately I might add. Full sized pickup trucks fit past just fine, my pylon placement was not the issue.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
There was a similarly placed rock at a strip mall near my house in Edmonton. I can’t count how many vehicles I saw perched atop that rock over the years, but alas the city removed it a couple of years ago, and with that ended my utter joy of eagerly anticipating what model of vehicle I’d see up there next....

I’m convinced there are “drivers ed” companies out there that are making cash deals under the table to get new Canadians their drivers licenses. At least once a week I follow someone on my way to or from work that simply doesn’t have a clue.
Sounds like the strip mall on 23rd ave right by Rabbit hill road.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM

No accounting for driver competence, but putting a barrier with no bright markings that is below window/vision level in an area where drivers have to do a 180 degree turn is just stupid planning.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Stupidity wins out over the rock. So much for the immovable object...
Old 12-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No accounting for driver competence, but putting a barrier with no bright markings that is below window/vision level in an area where drivers have to do a 180 degree turn is just stupid planning.
What if that were a small child or animal on the curb? There is simply no excuse for this period. In fact I think there should be more of these to bring forward the inattentive and people with a poor understanding of their vehicle and its capability. Anyone who cannot deal with that scenario should not be licensed and driving on the likes of deerfoot especially. There is simply no excuse for this specially in good dry conditions. If its a snow hidden thing or on a icy slope directing cars toward the rock that'd be another ball of wax. The fact that others have chimed in with how often this is happening all over is a real eye opener as to just how bad the road safety issue is. Time to crack down on the offenders not vilify the innocent (rock) victim.

#RIP sagehill rock 2017
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
What if that were a small child or animal on the curb? There is simply no excuse for this period. In fact I think there should be more of these to bring forward the inattentive and people with a poor understanding of their vehicle and its capability. Anyone who cannot deal with that scenario should not be licensed and driving on the likes of deerfoot especially. There is simply no excuse for this specially in good dry conditions. If its a snow hidden thing or on a icy slope directing cars toward the rock that'd be another ball of wax. The fact that others have chimed in with how often this is happening all over is a real eye opener as to just how bad the road safety issue is. Time to crack down on the offenders not vilify the innocent (rock) victim.

#RIP sagehill rock 2017
Elkster, don't disagree in a way. But by that argument, we should make road barriers grey or black because, hey, people should be looking out. Good if they run into them at high speed. No responsible safety engineer would make road hazard warnings grey or black with no yellow or reflective markings. I'm not excusing the people who hit the barrier. I'm saying the person who planned it was incompetent as well.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Unreal.

I have friends that live a few doors down from a bus trap here in Calgary. They now have an Instagram channel with photos and video's of people stuck in the trap.

Some of the reactions are hilarious, and they post at least a few times a week.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I have friends that live a few doors down from a bus trap here in Calgary. They now have an Instagram channel with photos and video's of people stuck in the trap.

Some of the reactions are hilarious, and they post at least a few times a week.

Oh I believe it. A lot of us were relieved when the gates for the shuttle buses went in. Saved us from having to use the detours each time someone dropped a Corolla in one

Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Oh I believe it. A lot of us were relieved when the gates for the shuttle buses went in. Saved us from having to use the detours each time someone dropped a Corolla in one

The best ones are the videos, where they actually stop, think about it, then go for it and get stuck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 1.JPG (100.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg car 2.JPG (64.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg car 3.jpg (31.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg car 4.JPG (45.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg car 5.JPG (53.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg car 6.JPG (56.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg car 7.JPG (72.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The best ones are the videos, where they actually stop, think about it, then go for it and get stuck!
Post'em if ya got 'em. Love to see that
Old 12-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Priceless! I seen a guy size up the centre st trap once. Even honking my horn he still tried. About an hour later I was headed back northbound and heard over the radio bylaw and the tow truck left and the trap was clear

Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
This is what happens when you allow your citizens to purchase a motor vehicle operators license from the equivalent of a box of Cracker Jacks.
Exactly. At some point, somebody said "yes, this person can drive". It's past time we go after those people's abilities to issue drivers licenses

Hopefully they don't hurt or kill innocent people
Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Looks like the rock has a new home, and is doing Community Service guarding a Little Library:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...home-1.4440419

I’m glad to see the authorities deal with this promptly. In most cases I advocate incarceration for repeat offenders rather than relocation and community service. But who can really blame the rock for rage flipping cars when they run it down while in the relative safety of a parking lot?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM

I know a fair number of guys that automatically jump to an ethnic stereotype, but after living in the Rabbithill area for a few years, I am terrified of the Caucasian soccer moms and BMW princesses, texting as they weave in and out of lanes, roll over curbs while focusing on their coffees, plow through construction barricades doing their makeup, etc. How many times have I seen a vehicle teetering in balance over one of the concrete barricades?

The funniest was a younger trophy wife from up the street, passing on her BMW and taking her new Jeep out for a spin. She hit the ice pile on the side of the road while texting and flipped over onto the side. I stopped to see if she was ok but just laughed at her, commenting that I could see her texting and focusing on the phone in her lap.

The scariest of all is an older girl in a red, Ferrari convertible. She has nearly plowed into me on several occasions. The neighbourhood talks about her as well due to the number of incidents of her texting and ramming into other vehicles. I want to punch this one in the face as she rips through the neighbourhood school zone without a care. I know EPS has been called about this one but she is still on the roads.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post

This is actually very well documented. I remember watching a short doc saying how it is the most bribes industry around!