Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Cyclists on a bike path at an intersections - what's the law?

Had this happen a few times now...When I pull up to a 4-way stop with a bike path that intersects at at a right angle, some cyclists treat it as a 4-way stop but most just barrel on through. Who has the ROW?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Here's what I was told by a LEO.

"If they want to have the same right of way as a pedestrian they need to be one, ie- walk the bike.
If they're on the bike they are no different than a vehicle.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 AM

First to the intersection has the right of way. A cyclist is a vehicle. If they dismount then they become a pedestrian but not until that point. The arrogance of some riders is astounding, though of course there are also some riders who do things correctly.

I find it quite hypocritical that some riders go on about being environmentally superior commuters yet they'll not think twice about forcing a bunch of vehicles to a full stop to save themselves a few seconds waiting for a break in traffic. When I ride I wait my fair turn and am courteous unless given cause not to be. It's sad witnessing parents teaching kids bad habits, like not dismounting if they're using pedestrian crosswalk lights.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Had this happen a few times now...When I pull up to a 4-way stop with a bike path that intersects at at a right angle, some cyclists treat it as a 4-way stop but most just barrel on through. Who has the ROW?
I think if their intent is to barrel on through and you've arrived at the 4-way first, you have the right of way because you were there first. Even pedestrians don't have the right of way when they arrive at the crosswalk after you have already sat at the intersection for 3 seconds. While I know that pedestrians have the right of way, I refuse to wait while they look up on the phone the next directions or send that text or SnapChat where they are while standing on the curb line all after I've been patiently waiting for 3 seconds before they approached said curb line. As it's said in hockey... "Keep your head up!"

Besides, I'd like to see the argument between the cop and cyclist.... "But officer! He went through as I was approaching the intersection. He should have stopped his 3500# truck so that I didn't get crushed running into the side of it at full steam!"

J.

Last edited by jcrayford; 12-09-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

"If they want to have the same right of way as a pedestrian they need to be one, ie- walk the bike.
Cyclists are to be treated the same as a motor vehicle.
That doesnt mean if one is in the right it is open season of the cyclists...cause they are going to loose every time.

All you can do is grin and bear it and report the infraction to the police.

The lower mainland RCMP have Bike Patrols and they go on blitzes from time to time and target cyclists along with seat belt check and electronic device checks.

Drive safe and please keep an eye out for those cyclists even though they **** us off from time to time.

Rob
Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I think if their intent is to barrel on through and you've arrived at the 4-way first, you have the right of way because you were there first. Even pedestrians don't have the right of way when they arrive at the crosswalk after you have already sat at the intersection for 3 seconds. While I know that pedestrians have the right of way, I refuse to wait while they look up on the phone the next directions or send that text or SnapChat where they are while standing on the curb line all after I've been patiently waiting for 3 seconds before they approached said curb line. As it's said in hockey... "Keep your head up!"

Besides, I'd like to see the argument between the cop and cyclist.... "But officer! He went through as I was approaching the intersection. He should have stopped his 3500# truck so that I didn't get crushed running into the side of it at full steam!"

J.
Whether you have the right of way or not, I would not want to run into a pedestrian or cyclist, injure them or worse and then test it out in court. Lawyers do funny things with the "law" and judges often back them????

C Y A

JMHO
Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM

Those guys are the worst... They also never use bells when they pass you on the path and that is dangerous. When I pass them on the path with my E-bike I ring my bell for them and its hilarious, they always just give 'er when I ding because "nobody passes me!".
Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM

I cyclo-commute year round, have been over 30 yrs. On the road you're a vehicle and you obey all traffic laws period. The idiots that cause problems are the once in a while riders. They expect to be treated as a vehicle or a pedestrian whenever it benefits them. They ride without lights, reflectors, bright clothing. They get hit and it's the driver's fault. Over the years I have come close to hitting bikes and I am always on the lookout for them. Darwin has his place here.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM

If a cyclist is riding their bike in a crosswalk and you hit them, they are at fault as they are a vehicle and wouldn’t have the right of way. They need to be walking to be considered a pedestrian.

Cyclists on the road must follow traffic laws, and it irritates me when they don’t because some are pretentious dbags that think they are above the laws.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
Those guys are the worst... They also never use bells when they pass you on the path and that is dangerous. When I pass them on the path with my E-bike I ring my bell for them and its hilarious, they always just give 'er when I ding because "nobody passes me!".
Who ever invented those bells that go ding should be given a talking to. I along with many older hikers cannot hear those bells that go ding. I can hear the old ring ring bells and I can hear you if you say passing on your left. Many times I am given a dirty look by a biker going by with his dam ding bell but I have not heard it.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:

Ding Ding Ding...!!! We have a winner !

This is it, in a nutshell.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Arrow Know The Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Cyclists on a bike path at an intersections - what's the law? . . .

And there ^ we have the Main/Core Problem with this situation!

Far too many people, both cyclists and drivers (including the OP), are not aware of the laws that apply here.

Selkirk
Old 12-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

This exactly. And I ride my bicycle, but never have the arrogance to ride through an intersection pretending I am on the crosswalk. I hate that when others do.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:51 PM

I hope I am not derailing this thread but I think it is significant.

All bikes/cyclists should be subject to the same laws as vehicles if they are riding on the street. i.e. they should have a licence plate, and insurance and follow the same laws such as if the vehicle has to have a 3 foot clearance to pass a bike then the bike should have the same three foot clearance to pass a stopped car.

When they start having to obey the laws they will start feeling like the vehicle they are and not the "kings chariot"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-09-2017, 04:18 PM

While every car/truck driver on the traffic, has been tested and must be certified with a driver license, this is not true for the bicyclists.
I do not know if this can bring any complication to this and any similar situation.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 PM

In Edmonton 26 inch and gather wheels need to be on the street and need to follow the rules of the road.

I bike a lot during the warmer months to and from work. I take residential streets and stay off the main drags (97st) for the love of god people, give me my space and treat me line a car, I’m acting like one!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post

All bikes/cyclists should be subject to the same laws as vehicles if they are riding on the street. i.e. they should have a licence plate, and insurance and follow the same laws such as if the vehicle has to have a 3 foot clearance to pass a bike then the bike should have the same three foot clearance to pass a stopped car.

When they start having to obey the laws they will start feeling like the vehicle they are and not the "kings chariot"
Here they have to follow the rules of the road, and I do. I’m still a target for vehicles. Getting pinched against parked cars by passing vehicles and dumb dumbs blowing stop signs when I have the right of way is the biggest problems I have.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:

X2
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Not significant.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well they weave in and out of traffic just like some who drive cars...free for all sometimes but a bike looses to a car every time in a collision...be careful out there for all who hit the streets....pedestrians and cell phones....bike...poodles too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2017, 07:11 AM

I cycle quite a bit and expect to be treated like a vehicle.
There are lots of AHs out there on bikes who flout the traffic laws
but, ditto in cars
That being said one of my friends said it best.
You think you have right of way over a car?
You're dead right.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Banned

I've never seen a cyclist stop for a stop sign. Ever.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:43 AM

I would imagine that every major city has a web page that lays out the laws and guidelines for riding a bike in their jurisdiction.

Part of the problem is that there are people who are unaware and there are people who just don't care.

From Edmonton.
https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ws-safety.aspx
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Back in the early '90's I had a bike courier cut me off brutally on Macleod northbound just approaching 9th Ave, he cut me off just after having gone under the railway bridge. The thing is when he got directly in front of me his chain broke, which instantly jammed his wheel and he went azz over teakettle directly in front of me. Having a lightweight car with good brakes and youthful reflexes I managed to stop before turning him into a meat cushion under my oil pan, most people would have hit him as I stopped just shy of him, so close that he was out of sight from my drivers seat. He was laying on the pavement groaning and I took the opportunity to give him crap for his stupidity while I angrily threw his bike onto the sidewalk; I'm sure that anyone who had not witnessed the first half would have thought I struck him with my car.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-10-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:32 PM

IMO whether your a cyclist or a pedestrian, you better be paying attention when on a road.
If not you will always be the loser if struck by a vehicle. End of story.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:17 PM

As the old adage goes

The "right of way" is not something you have but something someone gives you

If you get turned into road jelly you can always say "but I had the right of way"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Oh dear Lord. Aren't there some bigger fish to fry out there? Seriously!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:04 PM

While I understand everyone's frustration.. It's no different than drivers. good ones & bad ones.

Respect goes both ways.

Quote:
a bicycle that is being ridden is a
vehicle. A cyclist must follow the rules of
the road like drivers of other vehicles.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2047.htm
Old 12-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
As the old adage goes

The "right of way" is not something you have but something someone gives you

If you get turned into road jelly you can always say "but I had the right of way"
I just call them "wanna-be hood ornaments"!

Vic