Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Post Mortem?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/starv...land-1.3714244

I did not watch the video as it was not my desire to view it after first reading the article. No doubt the photographer believes the bears demise is attributed to climate change.

Quote:
“But there are solutions. We must reduce our carbon footprint, eat the right food, stop cutting down our forests, and begin putting the Earth -- our home -- first.”
In a follow-up post on Friday, Nicklen underlined the importance of his work.
“The truth is hard, but photojournalism is more than pretty pictures. It can be a difficult job. Journalism exposes -- raw and without bias -- the world’s issues in the interest of transparency, honesty and, I believe, change for the better.”
I'd like a follow up on "his work" to include a post mortem on the bear. I feel no emotion towards the bear despite the sensationalist sentiment offered in "his work".
Old 12-09-2017, 07:47 AM

'Raw and without bias' .... And then he goes on into an environmentalists cut & paste diatribe about what we eat, where we live, forestry, etc.

All manner of animals have died such deaths for millions of years before recorded history, and they will continue to do so. The difference? He got it on camera. I guess the local seals won't mind.

One wonders how long he'd been following the thing in order to film it's death. Then I consider how much jet-setting he undertakes from his Gallery in Soho, New York to the North Pole and to the South Pole. Repeatedly. "Hey You! Don't do this stuff that I'm currently doing and will continue to do.... for profit"

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-09-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:22 AM

This is only one Bear, why didn't he film a whole bunch of them dying, this is just a snap shot of a single bear in distress, could be from anything, disease, sick, maybe even lack of food..or all three..this does not show the true reality by filming one bear...be careful what you see, it may not be the total truth, besides our carbon tax will fix this..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Maybe the bear froze to death, since the climate has been cooling recently ?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 AM

Perhaps the bear should have had the sense to migrate to where the ice is?

Reminds me of an old Sam Kinison comedy skit about starvation in Africa, in his classic screaming delivery "MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS!!"

Language warning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyts7L6Hwg

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Snowflake news
The circle of life continues just as it has for millions of years
Old 12-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Snowflake news
The circle of life continues just as it has for millions of years
I'm not so sure it's really snowflake news.

The people up at Churchill wouldn't agree.
Lots of polar bears dying there.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

https://polarbearscience.com/2013/07...00-since-2001/

Quote:
UPDATE 25 November 2015: The 2015 update of the IUCN Red List for polar bears essentially concurs with my assessment about polar bear numbers. They estimate the current global population is 20,000-31,000 (average of 25,500, see below, without considering the number of bears in the Arctic Basin, so not far off my assessment) but say the trend in the population is “Unknown
There are many sources that prove we do not need to be worried about polar bear populations.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Maybe not...

https://polarbearscience.com/2017/08...f-the-species/
Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should stick to "snowflake news" ?? It might be easier for you to take ?? Nothing ever dies in "their world" except unicorns and/or rainbows when the "stars and signs are aligned" perfectly ???
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 PM

I watched this on the news tonight. They also showed a couple of other bears that were fat as pigs and looking very healthy. Climate change seems to be harder on some bears but not all.

This bear could have suffered any number of illness or injury that lead to his demise but we wouldn't want to ruin a good climate change story.

CTV followed this headline with the 50 protesters that followed Trump to a photo shoot. 50 people is now "BREAKING NEWS" apparently. There is more people hanging around the average bar whining about something or another.

To recap; "An animal dies" and "50 people protest Trump" are the big news stories today. Hard to believe but it is right there on TV.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I watched this on the news tonight. They also showed a couple of other bears that were fat as pigs and looking very healthy. Climate change seems to be harder on some bears but not all.

This bear could have suffered any number of illness or injury that lead to his demise but we wouldn't want to ruin a good climate change story.

CTV followed this headline with the 50 protesters that followed Trump to a photo shoot. 50 people is now "BREAKING NEWS" apparently. There is more people hanging around the average bar whining about something or another.

To recap; "An animal dies" and "50 people protest Trump" are the big news stories today. Hard to believe but it is right there on TV.
Hahaha i just posted this in the music thread! I always hear this song in my head when i watch people who are watching the "NEWS"...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJ6yRs1JYY
Old 12-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Sad part is, not one reporter even questions it, they just run with it. Most people unfortunately see this and believe it is. Like folks have mentioned in this thread, animals grow old too, unfortunately they may die of starvation. Thats the life cycle.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:21 PM

The world is changing every day...man made..human fault or just the earth being the earth...death can be caused by any number of things. I think this is a case of narrow minded , singular vision news..akin to Chicken Little. Those creatures who do not adapt will perish as is the way of nature.
Repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome , as in this bear in his or her territory and not knowing or willing to move to where there is food.
Just my two cents.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Sea Legacy video of Polar Bear

Old, and sick animals die everyday. Thats what happens in nature. Nothing to see here. Dramatic background music was quite the touch

Interesting when I watched the video, obviously springtime, bear is hairing out and the grass is greening up.

The reaction and the comments on social media left me shaking my head. Are people really this gullible and detached from nature?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:18 PM

most people believe what ever the media tells them ,with out doing any of their own research.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

Well I don’t know what caused the bear to be in the shape that it was but I got to say it saddens me that no one had the balls to put it down and end what looks like a miserable life of a magnificent creature.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Got to get all those emotions stirred up to support that Carbon Tax.

Amazing what passes as news these days.

A good read on the polar bear.

https://fabiusmaximus.com/2017/12/10...limate-change/
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Some well-needed sanity on the subject from the National Post:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...gLE&ocid=ientp
Old 12-12-2017, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Some well-needed sanity on the subject from the National Post:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/...gLE&ocid=ientp
Yes, that was a good article.

Quote:
These images aren’t the work of a scientist, an impartial documentarian or even a concerned bystander. They are part of a very calculated public relations exercise by SeaLegacy, an organization whose stated purpose is to capture photos that drive “powerful conservation wins.” The group dispatched five expeditions in 2017, all with the goal to “trigger public and policy support for sustainable ocean solutions.” Terry Audla is a past president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, an advocacy organization representing all Canadian Inuit. In a Sunday tweet, he called the photos a “stunt” that represented a “complete disservice to climate change science.” SeaLegacy’s social media posts about the bear also failed to mention that the images were taken in August, when ice cover naturally disappears from many polar bear habitats.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if they baited that bear to film it. Seems like something a shady group with an agenda would do.