Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Banned

Default My new toy has arrived... smiling!

No, it's not another gun, I got one of those about a week ago. It's a DRO (Digital Read Out) for my lathe. I've been waiting a month and a half for it. It's an Igaging that I ordered from KMS Tools in Calgary. It gives my new lathe digital readout capability to a half thousand on an inch on both the X and Y axis. I didn't want the Chinese stuff, so I opted to wait it out for American gear. It doesn't make the lathe more accurate, that is a function of the lathe itself, but mine is wicked tight and accurate. It allows me to not have to squint my eyeballs to look at the thimble on the wheels, instead I get a nice accurate digital readout that I can switch from decimals, to fractions, or metric should I choose. Besides, relying on the wheel thimble means that you gotta deal with gear back lash. A DRO on the other hand provides an accurate measurement of the apron or cross-slide motion. My tail stock is already outfitted with such a digital readout accurate to a half thou also. I'm a big fan of precision, and this is gonna be a real treat. Tomorrow is mounting day on the lathe. If this set up works out to my satisfaction (no reason why it shouldn't as I've done my homework), my smaller lathe and milling head will be outfitted likewise.

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-08-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Default cool!

i look forward to seeing what you get up to. all other things being equal, a tool that is easier on the user will see more use.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Tail stock

I'm curious about this DRO you've got on your tailstock? Any pics?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I'm curious about this DRO you've got on your tailstock? Any pics?
I will attach a picture a bit later FCE. But actually, it's quite simple. I made an adapter to clamp on the quill. I mounted a 1" travel digital dial indicator using a C-clamp that clamps onto the tailstock frame.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

If it makes your day, that's good on you.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
If it makes your day, that's good on you.
Yes, it made my day. What can I say? I love tools and machine tools, they make for better guns.

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:28 PM

I'm sure your aware you'll still have to manage backlash for accurate cuts. Although the readout will measure tool position regardless of slack, when the tool comes under load the tool will move to remove slack unless you took it out before.
You'll no doubt enjoy the readout so that's great.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I'm sure your aware you'll still have to manage backlash for accurate cuts. Although the readout will measure tool position regardless of slack, when the tool comes under load the tool will move to remove slack unless you took it out before.
You'll no doubt enjoy the readout so that's great.
You are correct Rancid. Gear backlash is a necessary evil that has to be accounted for or/and negated when initiating a cut. Formerly, I would typically use dial indicators strategically located on the tool post. The DRO allows me to see it without having to mount mag bases and dials, it make it much easier. Thus far, I've only mounted the Y axis DRO (on the cross slide). It's only about 6" long, and it's wasn't too much of a task to get it running accurately. I've had to mill my own brackets as I wasn't satisfied with the brackets that came with the kit. Good learning experience starting out with the short one as my X axis (apron) is 36" long to suit most of the length of my 40" bed. However, I started by locating a point close to my head stock. Mounted a fine line magic marker using a magnetic base to allow the apron to travel along bed length and scribe a line in my lathe bed casting towards my far mounting point. I also checked it with a laser beam locator to ensure straightness. I don't want unevenness to cause stress between the reading head and the magnetic scale. Trust me, I've got this covered and am taking my sweet time to "make it right". But I do appreciate your input and cautionary measures.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You are correct Rancid. Gear backlash is a necessary evil that has to be accounted for or/and negated when initiating a cut. Formerly, I would typically use dial indicators strategically located on the tool post. The DRO allows me to see it without having to mount mag bases and dials, it make it much easier. Thus far, I've only mounted the Y axis DRO (on the cross slide). It's only about 6" long, and it's wasn't too much of a task to get it running accurately. I've had to mill my own brackets as I wasn't satisfied with the brackets that came with the kit. Good learning experience starting out with the short one as my X axis (apron) is 36" long to suit most of the length of my 40" bed. However, I started by locating a point close to my head stock. Mounted a fine line magic marker using a magnetic base to allow the apron to travel along bed length and scribe a line in my lathe bed casting towards my far mounting point. I also checked it with a laser beam locator to ensure straightness. I don't want unevenness to cause stress between the reading head and the magnetic scale. Trust me, I've got this covered and am taking my sweet time to "make it right". But I do appreciate your input and cautionary measures.
Finally got my DRO's installed on the Challenger lathe. I still have to route some of my wiring safely in split loom cabling, but I'm almost there. I couldn't wait and made a "floating chamber reamer holder" before I had the final cable routing completed. The Y axis digital readout is in the background.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 PM

Default Congrats

I dont know anything about what your talking about but It sure looks good, hope you get some time during this cold spell to use the new tools a bunch.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I dont know anything about what your talking about but It sure looks good, hope you get some time during this cold spell to use the new tools a bunch.
I get it, it's all good. What matters is that I should know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Enjoy the new tool. I know that you will use the added precision to create some cool stuff!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Default My new toy has arrived... smiling!

DROs are great and all. I’ve found them best at measuring on z axis. I always got messed up cutting tapers with the attachment using a dro and compensating for backlash. I always found myself using the dials for tight tolerances on diameters. Mounted Dial indicators are far more trustworthy for tight work

But boy if you got a +/- .003 on an od you can hammer out sizes like no ones business
Most of all Congrats!! you’ll find its greats and limits fast
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk