Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Default What should I purchase for my first 45 acp (Sig P220 or Kimber 1911)

I'm looking for advise on the differences between these two guns and first hand experiences with them.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesapie View Post
I'm looking for advise on the differences between these two guns and first hand experiences with them.
You should be aware and consider that neither is a mil-spec 1911.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
You should be aware and consider that neither is a mil-spec 1911.
You should be aware Mil spec isn't always a good thing!

To the OP, I've shot several Kimber 1911's and own a P220. I like the DA/SA of the P220 but you can't go wrong with a classic like the 1911. I'm assuming your talking about the Government Model 1911 with the full 5" barrel, not the officer or commander style.

The Sig has no external safety per say, but has a decock. The 1911 has a safety. Both should be 8+1. If you go with the 1911, Wilson Combat are about the best mag's you can get. As far as parts either for replacement or upgrading to match grade components its best to lean towards the 1911 as its the Rem 700, Ford 5.0, Chevy 350 of handguns. The P220 will be easier to field strip as you don't need the special wrench like the 1911 does. The trigger on the 1911 is better IMO.

I'd handle both in a store and if you get the opportunity to fire them do it. Either way you won't go wrong! If I was to buy another full frame .45 I'd be looking at a Para 1911 or a Springfield TRP. (Oh and don't desecrate the pistol by getting one with a rail lol)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM

I'm very fond of my 1911, though its a Smith & Wesson. If a person is so inclined, the 1911 platform also offers endless customization options/ parts availability. Something about them just feels right, and is why they have such enduring popularity.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 PM

They appear similar from the outside but function differently in important ways, especially if you want to compete in IPSC, IDPA or other action pistol matches.

I've grouped the most significant differences separately:

The Sig is DA/SA. This means you have a 'heavy' Double Action first trigger pull that cocks the hammer and releases it for the 1st shot. Subsequent shots are much lighter Single Action to release the hammer which was re-cocked by the 1st shot. So then, in all DA/SA guns the first shot is a 'heavy' pull, all the others are 'light'.

Kimber's 1911 is SA only. You can fire it either immediately after chambering the first round because doing so cocks the hammer. However, if you've manually decocked after loading, to fire you'll have to re-cock it manually - pulling the trigger will not cock the hammer. Each shot in an SA breaks with the same amount of 'light' trigger pull.

-----

The Sig has a decocking lever on the frame which you can operate to gently lower the hammer so that you can safely carry it holstered - there is no manual safety lever. The Sig is designed to be safely carried holstered once decocked.

The Kimber has a manual safety on the frame that you operate to lock the cocked hammer into position. It also has a grip safety that your palm deactivates when the gun is properly gripped. The Kimber is designed to be safely carried holstered and fully cocked with the safety lever engaged. You can also manually decock it before holstering, a technique that is tricky for new handgun users.

-----

The Sig's slide lock & release lever is located at the back and the de-cocker ahead of it. Both these controls are on the frame.

The Kimber's slide lock & release lever and safety are in the reverse position as on the Kimber (lock & release lever ahead of safety), which is like most other handgun makes. Both these controls are on the frame.

-----
The Sig, being a DA/SA action, is suited to IPSC competition in the Production Division, provided it is chambered in 9mm or bigger.

The Kimber, being SA action, is suited to IPSC competition in Standard Division provided it is chambered in 40cal or bigger.

------

I have shot many makes and types of handguns, including the similar Sig P226 which is DA/SA, and 1911s made by Colt, Kimber, and others.

The ones you are looking at are both fine handguns.

http://ipsccanada.ca

edit: more precision on position of Sig's controls.

Last edited by twofifty; 11-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 PM

Another difference when drawing and firing these handguns from a holster during competition is that:

With the Sig being DA/SA you draw, present and pull the trigger without having to cock the hammer or de-activate a safety.

With the Kimber being SA and kept holstered cocked and locked (i.e. safety is on), your draw de-activates the grip safety, flick the other safety off as you present, then pull the trigger.

edit: like Fordtruckin suggests, try them both.

If you want to compete, look into the competition rules as each of those guns puts you into different handgun divisions (since one is DA/SA, the other SA).

edit: oops, I see you want to get a 45ACP. That caliber would put you at a slight disadvantage in some handgun divisions.

Last edited by twofifty; 11-11-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 PM

If your seriously considering a 1911, the Ruger SR1911 is very good value for the money. In fact, the money you'll save over a Kimber will buy you a lot of ammo and it's very close to the original series 70 1911 Colt with some custom features which normally cost a lot more.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 PM

STI Trojan or Sentinel. No metal injection moulded parts.

just my .02

Kimber is not what it used to be.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 AM

I have the Ruger as shown in my avatar, a friend has the Sig. I will keep my 1911 and am also getting a Sig. I had a 226 in .40 S&W, very nice gun didn't care for the round.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Really like my 220, but am way more accurate with a 5'' 1911, can't go wrong with a 1911, everyone should have at least one. Can't go wrong with a Sig period. I prefer the newer ones with the exterior extractor. The series 80s take a little more practice for full disassembly, not that difficult once you understand them.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Default IPSC Canada

Bad link in my post above re:
IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation).

http://ipsc-canada.org

There is a very active Alberta chapter that puts on lots of fun matches.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Banned

As was suggested earlier, look into the STI trojan. I did a fair bit of research before I bought my 1911 and was initially looking at kimbers as well. The STI kept coming up as a great value in 1911's. It's nothing fancy, and I'm not too fond of the plastic trigger..(for no other reason than tradition I suppose).

A sig is still on my someday list.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:39 PM

A 1911 made by Sig Sauer (Scorpion, Tac Ops, Spartan..)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Default 1911

IMO, Kimber all the way over a SIG 220. Better accuracy, better trigger, and legendary 1911.
Also IMO, Ruger looks nice but not worth saving on a Kimber. At the low price end, STI Spartan is the best
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 PM

I had been looking at a kimber 1911 for quite some time but changed my mind because of cost of ammo difference between a 9mm. After I put a few cases of ammo through the 9mm, I will be getting my 1911
Old 12-11-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
You should be aware Mil spec isn't always a good thing!
It is if you might wish to instal aftermarket parts such as pins, sear, hammer or barrel,
or use common 1911 tools such as sear honing guides and fixtures.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Glock 21
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 AM

I have two Sig 1911s in .45. I shot them in IPSC for a few years before moving to 9 and 40. They have tens of thousands of rounds through them and never had any serious problems with them. They have the external extractors. I purchased spare springs and extractors but never had to change them and had zero issues with fail to feed or extract.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 PM

I have a 220, and I love it. It is one of my favorite pistols by far.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:52 PM

Sig target
Old 02-03-2018, 11:28 PM

You have to ask yourself if you prefer modern, or classic. I could be wrong, but It appears that the sig will require less maintenance, I own a sig, and a Kimber 1911, and it does seem like the Kimber is a higher maintenance firearm!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Both!

Helpful?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Question was asked 4 years ago by op.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Question was asked 4 years ago by op.
Lol, sure got an eye for detail!