Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Yea first of all you're wrong, red or orange is acceptable. If you read the rules you would know that. And second, why not just congratulate this guy who had an awesome hunt with his son? Instead of trying to take someone down a notch.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:07 PM

I was on the first rifle hunt which was my first ever time on the base. I had a great time hunting with a good friend that had previously hunted the base so he was able to show me around and get a grip on the area. We hunted together on the first day and I was able to get my first mule buck while hiking the river banks. (Thanks snowman!)
Day2 was solo but started off with good action as I found a great buck I estimated at 170" but the brush was too thick for a shot. Wind was strong the rest of the day and no more sightings of any animals.
Day3 was solo again but I was back to the spot I saw the good deer the day before. Within an hour after first light I stumbled upon him and took a chance at a shot through some thick buck brush. One shot and I had my second buck down. I took my time to skin and process the deer trying to enjoy the experience and let it all sink in knowing I will be waiting another 10 months till the next season.
The numbers: buck one 156", buck two 177". I had a great experience on the base and willl be returning for future hunts. I saw much more shinnanigans happening in the area I live then I did while on the base. Good luck to the rest of the hunters on the base.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
I was on the first rifle hunt which was my first ever time on the base. I had a great time hunting with a good friend that had previously hunted the base so he was able to show me around and get a grip on the area. We hunted together on the first day and I was able to get my first mule buck while hiking the river banks. (Thanks snowman!)
Day2 was solo but started off with good action as I found a great buck I estimated at 170" but the brush was too thick for a shot. Wind was strong the rest of the day and no more sightings of any animals.
Day3 was solo again but I was back to the spot I saw the good deer the day before. Within an hour after first light I stumbled upon him and took a chance at a shot through some thick buck brush. One shot and I had my second buck down. I took my time to skin and process the deer trying to enjoy the experience and let it all sink in knowing I will be waiting another 10 months till the next season.
The numbers: buck one 156", buck two 177". I had a great experience on the base and willl be returning for future hunts. I saw much more shinnanigans happening in the area I live then I did while on the base. Good luck to the rest of the hunters on the base.
Man you sure did well, any pics of your deer?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Sounds like an awesome hunt congrats on the deer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Mulie

That Mulie buck must be close to 190. Nice buck congrats
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
ya not mine just sharing from instagram, but ya i would day damn near book typical with that mass. haven't heard anything official on it
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
I was on rifle one didn't get to see it personally but the rumour I heard was green scored 200. I am no expert on deer scoring just passing on what was getting said.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM

What area was that big guy shot?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverHawk View Post
What area was that big guy shot?
I believe it was taken from the annex.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM

That buck will be 200 " .. if not more .. helluva buck that's for sure .. congrats to the lucky hunter

Mamba
Old 12-08-2017, 08:24 PM

203" typ gross I was told. Slob of a mulie in any zone. Congrats to the lucky hunter!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM

Hey Shed,any idea on how many moose were taken during the primitive weapons season with a bow?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Default PW wainright

Hey Chet nice to see you and the boy connected on a muley . I'm the lucky sob that got the long shot on the muley in the annex side. Saw lots of deer, had nine shots at different bucks. 3 at the one I got (out of shape to much houghing and puffing lol).
the crunchy snow did make it tough trying to sneek up on them but that's the way it goes. thanx to the troops and the staff at the check in stations.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Default What?

Your roughly 12% on your shooting? Or, you missed almost 90% on this hunt alone? Come on, that can't be for real right?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Your roughly 12% on your shooting? Or, you missed almost 90% on this hunt alone? Come on, that can't be for real right?
^^^ see?..this is whats wrong with AO these days (sound familiar?)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Nope

No Hal it doesn't, what's your correlation? 9 rounds at deer over a 3 day period, seem safe or fair to the critters to you?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No Hal it doesn't, what's your correlation? 9 rounds at deer over a 3 day period, seem safe or fair to the critters to you?
It makes me wonder if any of the other deer were wounded.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It makes me wonder if any of the other deer were wounded.

Take notice MODS, a couple more with nothing but criticism, pot stirring, give them a time out, its the only way you are going to stop this kind of BS. This is how the threads go down fast with many of them being locked.

Last edited by bobalong; 12-09-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Default RF#2 Totals

RF#2 totals

Deer: 60
Running total 253 (higher already than the past few years)
Moose: 22
Running total 115
Elk: 0
Running totals: 6

I helped put the tape on that mule buck and we had him roughed grossed around 203"..Fantastic deer and a great guy.

I can only recall one deer being taken with the bow but there might have been a few more animals.

S
Old 12-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Take notice MODS, a couple more with nothing but criticism, pot stirring, give them a time out, its the only way you are going to stop this kind of BS. This is how the threads go down fast with many of them being locked.
It isn't bs to wonder about shooting percentages like that,it is literally the first thing I thought of reading the post, either the fellow needs to buy a rangefinder and practice at the ranges he is capable of or limit his shooting distances far better, a 12% shooting to retrieval record almost certainly means wounded deer or hopefully just taking shots he had no business taking.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Lol

The mods know there duties Bob. I don't want some youngster reading that post thinking that throwing lead around like that is the norm.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
RF#2 totals

Running total 115

I helped put the tape on that mule buck and we had him roughed grossed around 203"..Fantastic deer and a great guy.

I can only recall one deer being taken with the bow but there might have been a few more animals.

S
Thanks for the info shed, good to see that it sounds like numbers are improved quality is increasing as well
Old 12-09-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:

You have I admit, that’s a lot of rounds being sent that don’t end up where they were planned to go.
Where did they go?
Also remember, this is a hunt that has a lot of hunters nearby.
Some shots are better not taken.
(Or at least never mentioned again)
Old 12-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Is speaking the truth backed by math something we want to dissuade people from sharing?

Sometimes the truth hurts, but when a point is made respectfully and to the point. Is it worth the censorship?

LC
Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
RF#2 totals

Running total 115

S
Good to see the numbers improving, hopefully the trend will continue next week, as a good friend has a partner license for antlered moose, and I hope to find him a decent one.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
It isn't bs to wonder about shooting percentages like that,it is literally the first thing I thought of reading the post, either the fellow needs to buy a rangefinder and practice at the ranges he is capable of or limit his shooting distances far better, a 12% shooting to retrieval record almost certainly means wounded deer or hopefully just taking shots he had no business taking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Is speaking the truth backed by math something we want to dissuade people from sharing?

Sometimes the truth hurts, but when a point is made respectfully and to the point. Is it worth the censorship?

LC
There are way to many on here who just love to jump at any chance to belittle and criticize. Go back and read the "What happened on here" thread, these types of comments are exactly what has led this site to where it is today. Some members just HAVE to find something to criticize with almost everything they read, try and twist the comments now that they have been called out. Fact is it is just another example of the criticism that is rampant on here. ...........but it seems to be what many of you like. Enough of a derail from me, but you guys continue with your slagging, I am sure you are on the search for another chance to trash other hunters, shooters etc.

Last edited by bobalong; 12-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
There are way to many on here who just love to jump at any chance to belittle and criticize. Go back and read the "What happened on here" thread, these types of comments are exactly what has led this site to where it is today. Some members just HAVE to find something to criticize with almost everything they read, try and twist the comments now that they have been called out. Fact is it is just another example of the criticism that is rampant on here. ...........but it seems to be what many of you like. Enough of a derail from me, but you guys continue with your slagging, I am sure you are on the search for another chance to trash other hunters, shooters etc.
Not wanting to trash any hunter however if I miss 1 animal I'm ****ed at myself, 2 animals and I'm taking shots to confirm my rifle being sighted in. If a fellow takes 9 shots and connects (or at least retrieves) 1 animal one has to suggest something NEEDS to change about his shot selection or he needs to practice. 8 out of 9 bullets not hitting their intended target is worrisome, that isn't bashing that is not intended to be mean but it is constructive criticism.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 PM

I guess in the name of rainbows, unicorns and lollipops we should never critcize bad behavior....we should coddle everyone and accept everything as being ok.

There is a time and a place for everything, being honest and forthcoming is better than blowing smoke up a patoot IMHO.

There was a guy who shot at and wounded at least 3-4 moose before taking one cleanly....should that be looked over and celebrate the 1 win vs. the 3-4 losses?

LC
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=shedcrazy;3681194]The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

Wow now I see what Shane was talking about in his original post. Surprised he hasn't deleted it yet!!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=Buckwheat;3685969]
Quote:
The annual Camp Wainwright harvest totals. Probably against my better judgement I will do this again. This thread turns into personal attacks and I delete it.

Wow now I see what Shane was talking about in his original post. Surprised he hasn't deleted it yet!!
X2 Its ridiculous