Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Default How many guys on here big game hunt with only a bow, versus only a rifle/shotgun ???

Just wanted to see what the numbers look like on this one. I’m thinking about only hunting big game with my bow next year. Even during the general seasons.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 PM

99% bow for me, I hunted the very last day of general season with a rifle.

LC
Old 12-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Only rifle/shotgun for me,don’t have the time to commit to bow.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 PM

Only bow for me. All I got currently
Old 12-06-2017, 09:27 PM

Bow in season then rifle as deer get to spooky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Last time I picked up my gun was 2012. Nothing against guns but harvesting with a bow is way more rewarding IMO.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Carry them all, when I feel it I grab it, legally of course given which season allows what etc...I hunt.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 AM

This was the first year since I was maybe 15 (47 now) that I didn't take out my rifle hunting. Bow hunted the entire season. Was successful in getting my first moose with a bow!!

BH

Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Archery only; I have never killed a big game animal with a gun
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM

I still try to hunt with both but my body is messed up enough that I cannot shootvtoo manybarrows yet so am pretty much relagated to rifle and shotgun for the last many years
Cat
Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jval View Post
Last time I picked up my gun was 2012. Nothing against guns but harvesting with a bow is way more rewarding IMO.
I'm with you on this 100%, have hunting with both rifle and bow for quite a few years now. The feeling of success is much greater I personally think when there was an arrow ran thru it that a bullet. Having said that had some pretty frustrating moments when there was always that feeling "if I only had a gun right now". Either way tho if you squeeze the trigger or let an arrow fly on something that you wanted to and manage to harvest it, there really isn't any better feeling than hearing that whack or seeing one give a big flank kick.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM

A little bit of both. But mainly rifle.
My buddy always gives me a hard time when I bring my bow. Always tells me” Indians USED to use bow and arrow, now they only use rifles. History tells ya something “.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM

both depending on seasons, zones and species I'm hunting.
I prefer bow but the rifle still comes out once in a while.
Hoping to get my first coyote this winter with the bow.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
A little bit of both. But mainly rifle.
My buddy always gives me a hard time when I bring my bow. Always tells me” Indians USED to use bow and arrow, now they only use rifles. History tells ya something “.
Maybe tell your Pal next time that you hunt because you LIKE to, not because you NEED to!
I enjoy hunting immensely, so much so that if I am even just running someone upriver in my boat or spotting for someone else , or just out scouting I am happy !
Cat
Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Maybe tell your Pal next time that you hunt because you LIKE to, not because you NEED to!

I enjoy hunting immensely, so much so that if I am even just running someone upriver in my boat or spotting for someone else , or just out scouting I am happy !

Cat

I agree with this, spent more time helping others calling spotting than I did hunting my self. But my biggest success was being able to share this all with girlfriend who's now looking forward to next season hunting with her bow. So more scouting for me next season!! With that being said my group did put down a bull moose, cow elk, a nice whitetail buck, calf moose and a few Does. I was graced with a super old bear that was 18.5"

Spent around 30 days afield with my bow and 3 with my rifle. So I'd say I'm majority archery.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 PM

100% bow.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Banned

Bow? Never heard of her.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:42 AM

For me, starting season with a bow and if the tag is not filled then rifle.
50/50 I guess.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 AM

It been going up a little every year. I had about 30 days with the bow and 3 days with the rifle (family hunt up north). During the family hunt I scouted some nice trees and trails, so weather permitting I might try the bow up there next year.

I hunted for the 1st time with a muzzle loader in Wainwright this year and that may get a little more time next year during the Strathcona season.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Havent used my guns in over 7 years Bow only and thats right thru November
Old 12-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Sadly, I use the Bow less and less. In fact I never took it out at all in 2017, but I did practice with it. I finally took 1 of 2 tree stands down last week as well....they were just sitting for two years, sigh.
Work was rough once again this year and I didn't feel much like hunting...until I picked up a new job late November, then I felt motivated and went out and nailed some animals before I started my new job

Hopefully I will get out more with the bow in the upcoming years...especially when my son turns 12 in two years. I hope to get him bowhunting.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Been rifle hunters only. This year the kid drew a moose tag that offered both options. So he carried a bow till Nov 30th, then rifle. Me as the guide/caller, he the shooter and we had some fun times in bow season. Defiantly potential for 2 new entrants to the bow life.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:32 PM

First season bowhunting for me and It's the only way I'll hunt now!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:11 PM

During archery season I'm motivated to be in the field. Rifling doesn't do it for me like it used to. In my books, the encounter beats the kill.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Lots of great responses on here so far, seems like we have a nice mix of rifle and bow hunters, as well as dual season hunters like myself. I really enjoy bow hunting for the close encounters, and the challenge. Hunting with the handicap of the bow, really forces you to slow down and pay attention to your surroundings. This is especially true for me, as I do 100% of my hunting on foot. I’m not against treestand hunting, just haven’t done it lately. Next season, I’m hoping to purchase some trail cameras and possibly a new treestand. I have not sat in a treestand for 6 seasons now. Four out of those six seasons, have ended without a deer. The challenge is greater, success is much more fulfilling, and the adrenaline rush created by the close encounter, is exactly why I do it. I love hunting with my bow, however I still rifle hunt. It is going to be tough to not pick up the rifle next fall, but I’m going to try my best not to. Looking at buying a new bow this year, and I’m hoping it will be getting a kill or two under its belt next fall. This is getting long winded. Thanks again for the replies, I look forward to reading more of your responses.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:49 PM
Banned

I archery hunt September and October and rifle comes out for white tail rut or when hunting with a friend who doesn't archery hunt
Old 12-09-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I archery hunt September and October and rifle comes out for white tail rut or when hunting with a friend who doesn't archery hunt
This is what I do too. I try to use my bow till it gets too cold.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
This is what I do too. I try to use my bow till it gets too cold.
^No such thing... the only thing that cold weather does is that it forces me to move more - in which case the chance of a successful hunt with a bow goes down dramatically. I've practiced and hunted in -20C weather.

That all being said, I love bow hunting. Definitely my favorite way to hunt. In fact, gave up hunting altogether in '91 (personal choice) and thought I was done forever. Then in spring of '96 my brother put a bow into my hands and said hit the 10 yard target. After many failed attempts, I thought "Ok, this is really fair" and bought a used bow and began a lifelong quest to hunt with a bow. After 9 long years, I finally got an animal with my bow. After that, I've been more or less successful every season and have renewed my love with rifles as well.

Now I hunt with both. Archery tackle through September, October and November, rifle when those seasons open up. With many thanks to a fellow AOer selling a beautiful 30-06; carried that this season and loved it!

J.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Mostly archery for me, however, I will usually pull the rifle out in November for whitetail. Elk and moose are strictly archery for me. I find I still have better chances of killing an elk with my bow than i do with a rifle in the area I hunt because of the number of hunters....3 people were up in archery season and on the morning of september 17th there were were 27 hunters (that i counted) in a fairly small area. Personally, I will take the extra challenge and frustrations of archery hunting just so I can have the elbow room.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

I use rifle only. For the same reason I use internal combustion engines rather than a horses. For the same reason i leave the bow saw at home and take the husky or stihl. (Trying not to start an argument by listing 2 brands)
I am convinced bow hunters whipe their ass with grass and leaves rather than toilet paper which packs around rather well in ones pocket.
One of the elk I harvested with a 308 win had a broad head and a few inches of shaft lodged in the spine. I have it on the shelf now as a reminder that animals shouldn’t have to suffer because somebody would rather whipe their ass with grass and leaves because they enjoy it.
I take from the deer population and I give back by killing coyotes with my rifles. No archer can lay claim to a successful coyote season that wouldnt have been possible without his bow.
The Alberta bow hunters are constantly trying to increase their oppurtunity at the price of the MORE ethical rifle hunter. They are simply playing into the hands of the anti-gun lobby. My bow collects dust and I will leave it that way.