Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Default Blue Angels

No I’m not talking about lighting your farts on fire , the Blue Angels will be preforming in Abbotsford BC this coming year only Canadian date as well the Cold lake airshow this coming year will have the F22 raptor demo team it is the 50th anniversary of NORAD and they are hoping for all the planes of NORAD to be there both shows should be good ones
Old 12-11-2017, 05:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup, hope all goes off without incidents.
Good entertainment for all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-11-2017, 07:43 AM

Saw the Blue Angels perform at CFB Moose Jaw when I was stationed there back in the 70's. They put on a faster or speedier show than the Snowbirds. Due to their speed there are gaps in their show as it takes them further away to turn around, with a long pause before you see them again. The Snowbirds working at a slower speed are mostly in front of the crowd. Having said that, the Blue Angels are a treat to watch.

Side Note involving the Snowbirds: Do you believe on omens? Every year, the City of Moose Jaw came out with a commemorative coin. In the spring of 1978 they decided to commemorate the Snowbirds. On the obverse side of the coin was the Snowbird team in a flying formation. They invited the Base Commander (BComd) and the CO of the Snowbirds to a ceremony presenting them with the first coins. Either the BComd or the CO commented that on the coin, the formation was only showing 8 aircraft instead of 9. The Mayor apologized but said the coins were already struck. They said not to worry about it

A week or two later on May 3rd the Snowbirds started the new season at Grande Prairie, AB. where during the performance, Capt Gordon de Jong crashed and was killed. The Snowbirds were recalled to Moose Jaw and they had to decide whether to cancel the season or fly with only 8 aircraft. That year they performed the season with 8 aircraft. I have two of those coins.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM

I saw both the Blue Angels and the Raptor demo team this past summer at the Seattle Sea-fair. Both shows were incredible and I would not hesitate the travel to see either or both.

The noise of that Raptor was something from another world....
Old 12-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Default F15

I have seen the eagle before when I lived in Lancaster Park but am really excited to she her fly again in Cold Lake
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Saw the Blue Angels perform at CFB Moose Jaw when I was stationed there back in the 70's. They put on a faster or speedier show than the Snowbirds. Due to their speed there are gaps in their show as it takes them further away to turn around, with a long pause before you see them again. The Snowbirds working at a slower speed are mostly in front of the crowd. Having said that, the Blue Angels are a treat to watch.

Side Note involving the Snowbirds: Do you believe on omens? Every year, the City of Moose Jaw came out with a commemorative coin. In the spring of 1978 they decided to commemorate the Snowbirds. On the obverse side of the coin was the Snowbird team in a flying formation. They invited the Base Commander (BComd) and the CO of the Snowbirds to a ceremony presenting them with the first coins. Either the BComd or the CO commented that on the coin, the formation was only showing 8 aircraft instead of 9. The Mayor apologized but said the coins were already struck. They said not to worry about it

A week or two later on May 3rd the Snowbirds started the new season at Grande Prairie, AB. where during the performance, Capt Gordon de Jong crashed and was killed. The Snowbirds were recalled to Moose Jaw and they had to decide whether to cancel the season or fly with only 8 aircraft. That year they performed the season with 8 aircraft. I have two of those coins.

Never heard that story before, very interesting ,thanks for sharing it.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Arrow

Has anyone seen the CF-18 Demo Team in action ?

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 12-11-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post

Was part of the team late 90's early 2000's and this was the first I heard of this, thanks for the history.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Has anyone seen the CF-18 Demo Team in action ?

Selkirk

Just thought I'd add a few more photos.

Selkirk
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Default Demo team

I saw the team in 16 at Cold lake I missed it this year and wished I could have seen it best scheme yet can’t wait to see what it is this year
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post

I saw the team in 16 at Cold lake I missed it this year and wished I could have seen it best scheme yet can’t wait to see what it is this year

2017 CF-18 Demo Team graphic scheme (front-on) ^

The 2018 CF-18 Demo Team graphic scheme is still under wraps, but the intent of the new scheme is to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of NORAD.

Can't wait!

Selkirk
Old 12-12-2017, 02:50 AM

If you are ever in Pensacola Florida go to the Pensacola naval aviation museum,they have a wall with a team of blue Angels in flying formation ....its impressive !! and a Apollo capsule