Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Found a boiler from a steam locomotive in northern Manitoba It was in the bush about 12 miles from the nearest tracks and no road anywhere near it.
Found an old still complete with 10 crock jugs not all that far from the boiler.
Found an old cabin in the bush near Stonewall Manitoba, in the early 60's inside was an old single shot 22 rifle, the thing was only about 30 inches long.
Found near Whitecourt when I lived there and was hunting, about 30 crock jugs in the middle of the bush, nothing anywhere around them. Thought I'd come back for them at a later date. Could never find them again.
Found a lost hunter while fishing the Duck Mountains. He'd been wondering the bush for 2 days having no idea where he was and no hunting partner to report him missing.
He sure enjoyed coffee and sandwiches.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
My Great Uncle in SE Saskatchewan has found numerous arrow heads on his property as well as unmarked gravesites. Did some research and they would have been from (Catholic) settlers in the 1800s that buried the dead there
Be careful of messing with old grave sites, they can still have old toxins and stuff like some forms of plague or pox.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Found this old rifle buried in a sandy shore lakeside, whats unusual is this is a lake we trekked too from a lake we flew in too 200km away from civilization. Cool find.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

How does it shoot?, there may be some accuracy issues!!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Last year out hunting I came across a good sized cougar killed whitetail skeleton, a 'print' tree, and the remains of an old fire lookout that somebody had clearly spent days and days building a stacked stone retaining wall around, including steps and a hole that likely had an outhouse on top. Nothing left of the structure but some cable anchors spaced around the site.

Also I find a surprising amount of garbage. Pack it out when you can.

The one that's been puzzling me is a tree cut down on top of a ridge way in the bush- with a chainsaw. Just dropped and left there, and its been at least ten years. Nothing cut nearby.

This is a great thread!
Flanny
Old 02-24-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
How does it shoot?, there may be some accuracy issues!!
Its the shooter, not the rifle.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."