Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2023, 10:52 AM

Default Line counters

I'm looking at giving a line counter reel a try as I've taken to mostly trolling these days. Looking for pros/cons, likes/dislikes, what to look for and steer clear of. Thoughts, suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated.

A little info. Budget up to $250. I've got a Shimano Compre 7' MH I'll be putting it on. Target species will be mainly walleye with the odd trip for lakers and pike.

Thanks much! Tim.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:44 PM

Default The real depends on what your trolling for.

I use an Abu Garcia Max DLC for trout, Kokanee and walleye trolling it’s a great digital line counter with some good features like setting line size and it’s light and compact.
They also make a larger model, Max Toro DLC that I would use for trophy pike or lakers.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:57 PM

I have a pair of the Okuma Magda Pro 20 and a pair of the Shimano Tekota 300LC. Both have been good. The Okumas are far cheaper but the Tekotas feel more solid in the hand.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-09-2023, 05:15 PM

A line counter is a must have in my opinion if you’re serious about trolling. It’s not just about setting your depth, it’s about doing it consistently, precisely, and quickly. Repeatability is key. It will improve your fishing success.

I highly recommend the Shimano Tekotas. They’re without a doubt the best line counter on the market. I prefer the 400LC size unless you’re running leadcore, then move up to a 500LC. They’re available in left or right hand retrieve, solid all metal design, reliable and accurate line measurement, super smooth drags and just an overall pleasure to use. They aren’t cheap, but - buy once, cry once!
Old 05-09-2023, 08:30 PM

I'm a big fan of Abu Garcia reels - however getting them in a line counter (and in stock) is tough up here.

I ran a few makes models and have found the Okuma cold water one of the most solid (all anodized steel), dependable (very solid) and smooth line counters. They come in low profile versions for walleye and kokanee and go up in size to the trout and salmon sizes.

I did run Magda Pros but the Cold water series is a HUGE step up. They cost around $180-$200 which you mentioned was your budget. They are available in both left and right handed.

You could step up and spend more money - but this is a great reel. I also have a Tekota and I'd say they are pretty darn close. The Tekotta was $100-$150 more or so - maybe a bit smoother on the drag and ever so slightly more adjustable precision - but not by a long shot and at almost twice the money ...... it's totally up to you.

I love them both. In reels you do get what you pay for - but with diminishing returns as you spend the money.

So basically - real life reviews ..... all the comments above from others are pretty darn spot on.

https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-Water-Li...66571199&psc=1

Last edited by EZM; 05-09-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:34 PM

Just as an aside, I picked my Tekotas up at Canadian Tire a number of years ago for $99 each.

SS

Old 05-10-2023, 06:26 AM

I switched over from Charter Specials to Shimano Tekota 300 LC reels(3) on my downrigger rods. They are a bit over your budget price but they are very nice reels. The LC is accurate when line is spooled properly(some good tutorials on youtube showing how). I like them as I do alot of trolling and it's nice to have an accurate measurement for running crankbaits, dipsey divers etc and to be able to go back each time to the distance that is working best. I like the smaller diameter of them as they fit my palm nicely compared a large line counter reel and I like the double paddle handle as opposed to the single large sized traditional type ttolling handle many line counter reels come with. They also have a bit higher drive ratio and the drag is ultra smooth compared to the less expensive line of reels which is nice when you want to lower the downrigger ball. The line plays out smooth and even not in bursts with the rod loading up and releasing as it does with cheaper stickier drags. I have three seasons under them now and so far they are working as good as day one. I recently picked up a set of Chamberlain Releases for downrigging so with them I can run braid for my lines so I am going to switch one rod to braid for this season to try it out. If it goes well I'll switch them all over. The Tekotas should be a good reel for running braid.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My line counter is old school, how many pulls, same as walleye sensitive bite, line sits on your finger....been working fine for many generations

I am slowly transitioning though to the new fandangled world.....was up at Bakers last summer and was amazed at Mac’s big screen tv’s etc....asked him to put on Clayton’s fishing show to see how it was done

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-10-2023, 07:50 AM

What ever happened to my old salmon technique of 10 pulls or 30 pulls etc...still works...I use it for trout and suspended fish all the time...but I admit a line counter would be more accurate...mAYbe I should try one to see what my actual length actually is
Old 05-10-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
My line counter is old school, how many pulls, same as walleye sensitive bite, line sits on your finger....been working fine for many generations

I am slowly transitioning though to the new fandangled world.....was up at Bakers last summer and was amazed at Mac’s big screen tv’s etc....asked him to put on Clayton’s fishing show to see how it was done
I ran that same line counter many years too but decided to venture into the modern world....slowly!
Old 05-10-2023, 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. Please keep them coming. I have been looking at the Shimano Tekota and Okuma CW reels. The Tekota is over budget and around twice the cost but, I do get "buy once, cry once" and as most of my reels are Shimano I'm familiar with there quality. The Okumas look interesting and their price is appealing. I think getting my hands on a few of these reels will help me with a decision.

58thecat/stob, I currently have the same line counter as you gentleman do, 2' pull from reel (the Curado I'm looking to replace) to the first guide on the rod but, a fella can never have too much fishing gear.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:11 AM

Penn Warfares have treated me well. No complaints.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:32 AM

I picked up two tekota LC reels last year for lakers and they have been stellar.

Hopefully winch in a 20+ pounder on one here in a few weeks.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:55 PM

Line counters paired with the “precision trolling app” will stack the deck for you. Read/watch some youtube videos on calibrating your line counter. That part’s important. You can’t just spool on some line ‘til you think it’s good and expect it to be counting accurately.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:28 PM

I know this isnt specifically what you asked for.... but I just keep track of how many times the level wind on my Ambassadeurs travel back and forth to keep my trolling depths precise and repeatable.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Line counters paired with the “precision trolling app” will stack the deck for you. Read/watch some youtube videos on calibrating your line counter. That part’s important. You can’t just spool on some line ‘til you think it’s good and expect it to be counting accurately.
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2023, 05:34 AM

Default Bought one!

After looking at a few reels yesterday I ended up going with an Okuma CW 203. It looks and feels like a quality reel and at a very good price to boot.

EZM thanks for the Amazon link and thanks to all for your input.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
After looking at a few reels yesterday I ended up going with an Okuma CW 203. It looks and feels like a quality reel and at a very good price to boot.

Now you have to do a little work to learn to use it to it's full potential and take advantage of it. A line counter so much more accurate and reliable than counting off arm pulls or passes of the level wind, and that little number dial never forgets how many feet are out there, it's always there to remind you lol.

Calibrating it is a good idea, especially if you plan on using the Precision Trolling app. It's a great way to get you in the ballpark, and then fine tune from there.

It comes down to always being conscious of it and noting how much line you have out when you tag bottom, and when you stop tagging bottom. As you continually build that database in your mind (or in a notebook lol), you'll start to get a picture of exactly where your crank is running at any given line length and speed. That lets you precisely and repeatably place and keep your crank at exactly the depth you want it, aka where the fish are, and that WILL result in more fish in your boat. It's a long and never ending learning process, and you have to build up that database for every different crank in your box. Once you do, that level of detail and precision is what sets truly great "crankers" apart from the rest of the crowd.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:03 AM

Not sure why it isnt more popular but you can look at meetered braid as well. Changes color every 25 feet or 10 meters depending on the brand. You can make any reel a line counter, just count the colors you let out. Spinning or conventional. I have all of my reels switched to it and won't go back. Daiwa J braid x8 in the multicolor or powerpro depth hunter. Can get 1500m spools for $150 ish and do all your reels. Works great for jigging over deep water too if you mark a fish at 50', drop 2 colors and you're in it to win it.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post

No worries - that's the best part of this forum - get lots of opinions and learn from each other - I have been doing this for a long time and still learn or get tips or product reviews from people here all the time.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Now you have to do a little work to learn to use it to it's full potential and take advantage of it. A line counter so much more accurate and reliable than counting off arm pulls or passes of the level wind, and that little number dial never forgets how many feet are out there, it's always there to remind you lol.

Calibrating it is a good idea, especially if you plan on using the Precision Trolling app. It's a great way to get you in the ballpark, and then fine tune from there.

It comes down to always being conscious of it and noting how much line you have out when you tag bottom, and when you stop tagging bottom. As you continually build that database in your mind (or in a notebook lol), you'll start to get a picture of exactly where your crank is running at any given line length and speed. That lets you precisely and repeatably place and keep your crank at exactly the depth you want it, aka where the fish are, and that WILL result in more fish in your boat. It's a long and never ending learning process, and you have to build up that database for every different crank in your box. Once you do, that level of detail and precision is what sets truly great "crankers" apart from the rest of the crowd.
All of my crank baits have the "actual" running depth written on the lip (I used a sharpy permanent marker) because I don't keep the packaging in the boat after they go into my tackle trays.

You can kinda tell by looking at the lip or if you have duplicates of the same size/series of lure but this is an easy fool proof way for me to get my lure to where I want it.

But yes, agreed with the above 100%. And, I cannot stress how much precision and repeatability count - especially when you have spent alot of time on the lake when it slow and finally dial something in. Makes the rest of the trip way more productive.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just as an aside, I picked my Tekotas up at Canadian Tire a number of years ago for $99 each.

SS
Man if I saw that now, and they had 20 of them in stock, I would grab all of them !!!! You could double your money and people buying them from you would still be getting a massive discount.

I'm just surprised Canadian Tire would carry that series given the price of that reel.

But I do know Canadian Tire sometimes marks things down on clearance at ridiculous prices. One time I was in there and they had Rapala cranks marked down from $10-$14 (original price) all for $1.99 - I'm pretty sure I bought dozens and dozens of them. When I rejoined my wife in the store with a full basket she was unimpressed with me.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Man if I saw that now, and they had 20 of them in stock, I would grab all of them !!!! You could double your money and people buying them from you would still be getting a massive discount.

I'm just surprised Canadian Tire would carry that series given the price of that reel.

But I do know Canadian Tire sometimes marks things down on clearance at ridiculous prices. One time I was in there and they had Rapala cranks marked down from $10-$14 (original price) all for $1.99 - I'm pretty sure I bought dozens and dozens of them. When I rejoined my wife in the store with a full basket she was unimpressed with me.

I bought the only two they had. This was at the Windemere location near Cabelas in Edmonton a few years ago. I also got a Ci4+ 2500 for $85 there that same day. It was a great day for a big score!

SS