Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2023, 07:16 AM

Default Binos - zeiss conquest

My old Nikon Monarch M5s have served me well but thinking of upgrading to the Zeiss conquest 10x42...anyone have em ? Pros and cons ..thx

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2023, 07:18 AM

I had a set for about a month. I liked the glass on them but after a month one of the eye cups came off. I took them back and bought Leica Trinovids instead. I’ve since sold those and bought Geovids.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:22 AM

I would be hesitant on the 10X. I find I cannot use them as I am a little too shaky. It's an age thing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-04-2023, 10:40 AM

Go to the bino store, whatever it is, ask them to take out all binos in your price range and take a good look thru them. Buy the one that you can see thru the best. Brand names mean absolutely nothing if you can’t see ….
Old 11-04-2023, 12:14 PM

I have them as well as Leica trinovid and swaro slc. All 3 are great but for some reason I always use the Leica’s. I would recommend trying them before you buy the conquest. Also I had to get zeiss to send me deeper eye cups which the guy said was common in North America.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:45 PM

I bought 10x42's in the spring over comparably priced Vortex models.

Pros:
*Great glass clarity
*Crisp focusing
*Rubberized feel is stable and doesn't slip

Cons:
*Diopter doesn't lock
*Eye cups are a little flimsy but not really bad

I'd close with the fact that I love the glass, and I can maintain focus in them very well, particularly when I use a tripod. Happy to have them.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:59 PM

I’m really interested in this thread also. I’ve been looking at them for a bit lately. I have the conquest scope and I love it so I’m interested to hear about the binoculars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2023, 02:53 PM

maybe just me but I find the focus wheel on the Zeiss Bino' is just way to sensitive compared to some other brands. I find it hard to get a good focus as there is no forgiveness, 1 millimeter either way and your out of focus again so I'm constantly fiddling with the wheel to get a good picture. Just my experience
Old 11-04-2023, 03:21 PM

I’ve had them for at least 10 years. I’ve been very happy with mine but as said you have to try a few different types to see what your eyes like. I’d like to get a set of rangefinders now.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I’ve had them for at least 10 years. I’ve been very happy with mine but as said you have to try a few different types to see what your eyes like. I’d like to get a set of rangefinders now.
The best thing that I ever did, was buy my Geovid HDs, less to carry, and a real time saver, as I range the animal as I look it over.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:45 PM

I bought these binos two or three years ago. After looking through them and my Nikon whatever the model is (Prostaff 7?) side by side for about a week in all kinds of light, I sent them back. Sure, they are crispier, but I didn’t see nearly enough advantage for my needs to dictate the cost in addition to what I already had. Sometimes, I think I should have kept them, perhaps, especially because I bought them for a really good deal ($900? Plus they offered me further discount of $50 or $70 when I said I wanted to return them), but then I think I made the right decision as far as my needs are concerned.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:55 PM

Leica guy here. Wondering whom will inherit them when I expire……😎
Old 11-04-2023, 04:47 PM

Here are a few reasons I would go 8x42 instead of 10x42

When adjusting the focus on the 10 x42 there is a fine line you have to be on the finger dial to be clear .The 8 x42 it will be clear a few notches both ways of that fine line . So adjusting will be faster, and easier on the eyes .

Field of view is narrower on the 10 x 42 . The 8x42 you will see a lot more.

Lower light and brightness with the 10 x42 . The 8x42 will be brighter in the evening .

Some may disagree . But there is a big difference when you are in the store or in the bush looking threw them .

If you really want 10 power go with 10x50

As KGB says go to a store and look at the pair that fit you best .
Then take them outside and look threw them .
Old 11-05-2023, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Go to the bino store, whatever it is, ask them to take out all binos in your price range and take a good look thru them. Buy the one that you can see thru the best. Brand names mean absolutely nothing if you can’t see ….
Do your test at dusk or on a really cloudy day
Try to pick out detail on something like leaves or twigs at a distance
Old 11-05-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Here are a few reasons I would go 8x42 instead of 10x42

When adjusting the focus on the 10 x42 there is a fine line you have to be on the finger dial to be clear .The 8 x42 it will be clear a few notches both ways of that fine line . So adjusting will be faster, and easier on the eyes .

Field of view is narrower on the 10 x 42 . The 8x42 you will see a lot more.

Lower light and brightness with the 10 x42 . The 8x42 will be brighter in the evening .

Some may disagree . But there is a big difference when you are in the store or in the bush looking threw them .

If you really want 10 power go with 10x50

As KGB says go to a store and look at the pair that fit you best .
Then take them outside and look threw them .
That depends on where you hunt. I personally prefer the 10x42, to make out more detail at longer distances for open country or mountain hunting. The slightly lesser field of view isn't an issue for me, and if it's too dark to make things out with my 10x42, it's too dark for me to even consider shooting an animal through my scope. If I hunted thicker cover, then I might prefer 8x42.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Leica guy here. Wondering whom will inherit them when I expire……😎
And I was laughing at this post, thinking who the hell needs $1000-$3000 binos, turned around to head for a coffee refill and saw my rod rack with 4-5 $1000+ fly rods.............................................. ........Oh the irony.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One'n'Done View Post
And I was laughing at this post, thinking who the hell needs $1000-$3000 binos, turned around to head for a coffee refill and saw my rod rack with 4-5 $1000+ fly rods.............................................. ........Oh the irony.
So easy to judge others lol

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2023, 09:04 AM

I have never had an issue with my 10x Geovids as far as seeing stuff in the bush, with my glasses on or off, and the rangefinder in them is fantastic .
One of the best investments I ever made .
I never leave home without them.
Cat
Old 11-05-2023, 09:46 AM

My Swarovski SLC’s are 20 years old and are like new. I paid $450 for them on clearance when the EL’s came out. Best hunting equipment money I ever spent.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:55 PM

Really appreciate all the comments and advice given in this thread guys . I was able to look thru some Conquests at Kalispell army navy a month ago,that's what got me interested in them .The store owner must be a trusting fellow as he doesn't know me from Adam and allowed me to take both the Conquest and Terra models outside to try unattended... no comparison between the 2 ,Conquest far superior. My budget is a bit stretched this year with a taxidermy bill in the next couple months but I beleive I will choose the conquests when funds are available..thanx also to the guy in the Hat that offered to let me come check them out against Leica and Swaros at his place ...AO really is a good place for info and advice ...usually..lol.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2023, 01:31 PM

Default worked optic counter at WSS for a while

Really dont think you can go wrong with Swaro, Leica or Zeiss.
For my eyes I am on my second set of Leicas upgrading to the HD while my first set were still just fine and sold to a friend.
Bino and spotting scopes are very similar performance in all 3 brands and we compared them regularly. Leica sold me with the least amount of chromatic abarition (distortion). (margins dont blend so crisp definition)
(eg. deer looking out of bush the antlers stand out from the branches)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:58 AM

I picked up the Conquest's in 10x42 back in the spring. So after almost a full hunting season with them in foothills,mountain units. Over 12 days in the field so far.
I was using Vortex Diamondback 10x50's for the past 8 years.

The glass is a huge improvement.
I haven't noticed eye cup issues myself. I like the way they fit and they don't feel flimsy to me.
The focus wheel is definitely sensitive compared to the vortex, I'm still getting used to that. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, just different.

One thing I would say, the Conquests are made in Germany and the Terras are made in China. Not saying the Chinese can't put together a pair of bino's, but not sure if they warrant the Zeiss price tag.

I'm happy with my Conquests and would definitely buy them again.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 11-06-2023, 02:52 PM

I have used them for over 15 years, my only complaint at close distance its sometimes hard to locate the animal. But all I dropped them and damaged something inside, I shipped them back for repair figuring to pay the price and they fixed them at NC. Even after 15 years. A great company.