Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 01:53 PM

Default Heart Lake

Has anyone got any experiences fishing and camping at Heart Lake?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Don't go there or your stuff will be gone. Best bet leave Heart Lake nations lake for them.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 PM

If your gonna go I also recommend a day trip only and bring a rifle.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:31 AM

Never been there myself. Asked someone who fishes that area a lot. Was told it was not the safest place to leave you truck and trailer for the day. Might not be the best place to go you want to relax and catch a few fish. A better option might be to have someone take the truck and traitor back to camp and pick you up when you return.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 AM

My buddies neighbor used to work for F&W in the late 80's. He said some American fishermen were there with a truck camper and boat. One day when they came off the lake they discovered the camper door cut out with a chainsaw. Anything valuable was gone.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 AM

I have only ice fished it. We drove on and fished for the day. Caught several pike. Biggest was 13 lb. Didn't drive around a bunch. And I'm glad we didn't because a couple days later an SUV went through the ice and lives were lost.
I guess there are currents in the lake making the ice vary in thickness.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 AM

Went there years ago ,and they are really friendly. You get there and they just come and sit around the fire.Then when you go inside your camper they will come inside and keep you company. Then when you tell them its time to go fishing.They will come along .Just to friendly for me .
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 AM

Have done many day trips with no issues make sure u pay the lady.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Last time we were there we came back to the boat lauch and the first three trucks in the parking row had the windows smashed and the airbags set off. Luckily they were running out of energey by the time they reached our truck as they only threw a few boulders at the window that narrowly missed so it was only autobody repair no glass. We have yet to return.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake slayer View Post
Have done many day trips with no issues make sure u pay the lady.
Good luck finding her or him some days. And if you don't pay you will most likely be vandalized. In the past we have fished there for over 20 years once or twice a summer with no incidents as we always payed and they remembered as as being respectful but eventually luck runs out as one day no one was around to pay. Need to build a road to the other side. And we have yet to see a native fish the lake in all those years.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 05-03-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 AM

U might want to hang a dream catcher from your rear view mirror
Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake slayer View Post
U might want to hang a dream catcher from your rear view mirror
hahahaha, that's probably not a bad idea. On a positive note there has been more of a welcome type attitude at Heart the last few years. Piles of tamarack for anyone who wants to camp out and have a fire. Sat down and had a few beers with a few locals who were just curious about how fishing was. Unfortunately this lake is starting to suffer the same fate as many of our lakes already have. Abundant amounts of massive walleye ranging from 4-8lbs, it's hard to keep them off the hook (any hook). The pike population has definitely seen a decline probably due to the fact that you can keep 3 and you can't keep any walleye. This lake and a bunch of others need to be managed better, starting to really frustrate me.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM

It's pretty rough , like most reserves. That being said most people are nice. Problem is it only takes one. One bad apple or a half dozen. Those Guys get around and hit up lots of places up and down 881. I fish the rivers around Janvier haven been stolen from or burned out yet. I have in laws on Janvier reserve. The are routinely stolen from and their house broken into a few times. In 10 years they have lost 3 quads and two 14' aluminum boats.

Fishing is good