Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Default James river

Hey guys I have been out camping and fishing along the James river west of bearberry pretty well every weekend in April. I have only caught 1 small trout so far and I haven't seen any fish rise yet, now I normally do ok out here but I'm also always fishing it later in the year. Is anyone else seeing that out here or am I simply being unlucky? Also if anyone else is catching anything what are you using?

Last edited by slough shark; 05-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Default Pretty sure its not you

SloughShark:

I don't have first hand info, I can only speak of generalities.

But, in all the years I've fished and read articles on Alberta fishing, I have never heard a good thing about the James river.

I think it has to do with the river being relatively infertile, too cold, lacking a substantial food base, and it doesn't have alot of decent overwintering habitat.

So it's probably not you as so much the river is simply not productive.

Again, I've never fished it, only know it's reputation. Maybe someone else who has better knowledge can chime in.

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM

I tried the James a few times, never had any good luck in that river.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM

I fish the James quite often, mostly catch small brookies but I have hooked into quite a few bulls and the odd brown, lots of rmw later in the summer. Caught my biggest bull from this river, about 30". I was out in early april and it doesnt look good for water levels, creek is low and there is nothing left for melt water. I hope it rains alot or this could be a bad year for our smaller rivers. Was fishing the rdr upstream of glenifer last night and did ok, 5 rmw and 1 bull trout in a couple hours, easy wading with low water, crossed the river in numerous places. I think most of the fish move to the rdr for the winter and should be showing up in the james soon. I have best luck with big stone nymphs and bead head pheasent tail nymphs. Good luck to you.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog D View Post
I fish the James quite often, mostly catch small brookies but I have hooked into quite a few bulls and the odd brown, lots of rmw later in the summer. Caught my biggest bull from this river, about 30". I was out in early april and it doesnt look good for water levels, creek is low and there is nothing left for melt water. I hope it rains alot or this could be a bad year for our smaller rivers. Was fishing the rdr upstream of glenifer last night and did ok, 5 rmw and 1 bull trout in a couple hours, easy wading with low water, crossed the river in numerous places. I think most of the fish move to the rdr for the winter and should be showing up in the james soon. I have best luck with big stone nymphs and bead head pheasent tail nymphs. Good luck to you.
You've been catching Bulls in the James? Like you I catch mostly smaller 7-12 brookies, rmw's and some Browns, I haven't caught a Bullie for years, probably at least 10 years. This is mostly west of bearberry close to where teepee pe creek runs in. You think the fish migrate to winter in the rdr? I Didn't know they did that or even heard that they might do that
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Yes there are lots of bulls in there. In my opinion the James river does not have much for over wintering holes so the bigger fish (browns and bulls and all the rmw) do go to safer water to winter and return again in the spring, maybe I'm wrong. I usually fish further back around the forestry campground on the trunk road. Try some streamers in the deeper drop off's if you can find em. The big bull I caught was on a size14 pheasant tail believe it or not. Girlfriend likes to swing streamers and she has got a few over 24".
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Recently spent a few days out along the trunk road fishing this river. Low water with not many deep pools to be found on the sections i fished. Didn't catch any or see any rises or swimming around. Would have thought I would have at least seen some swimming around in the slow pools.