Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 01:30 PM

Default Best fishing line for Salmon fishing

Hello all, I have to re-spool a salmon mootching reel and was wondering what are the better lines now a days and how many pound line should I use? I'll be fishing on the sunshine coast so I don't expect any monsters, lol.

thanks in advance
Goose
Old 04-25-2016, 01:33 PM

30 Pound Mono is a staple out here ( Maxima ) well priced stands up well.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucluelet Charters View Post
30 Pound Mono is a staple out here ( Maxima ) well priced stands up well.
What he said.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Thanks very much for the reply Ucluelet charters!!

cheers
Goose
Old 04-26-2016, 04:58 PM

25 - 30# Maxima Ultragreen is all I use. I ran 25# for years but bumped it up a bit because I found the 30# held up better when fishing in a contested area with lots of riggers.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 PM

I have run Trilene Big Game for years and never had a problem.

30lb. Big game in Solar Green....tough, great knot strength and easy to see. best part is you can buy a 600m spool for the cheaper than a filler spool of Ultra Green.

Used to run UG, but never the saw the reason to spend the $$$ when BG is just as good.

Cheers

SS
Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 PM

Hey Goose The Fishin Hole has their half price spooling event on until the end of the month
Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Is there a reason you guys dont use braid?
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Is there a reason you guys dont use braid?
Given its a mootching reel he is not casting. Mono is much better in downrigger clips (ie easier on the clips and release is more consistent). If casting or not using downriggers braid would be fine choice.

Last edited by cube; 04-27-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 AM

I use Sufix 832 50lb braid, and then run a 30' Shimano wind on Flourocarbon leader. I've never run into any issues with the release on the Downriggers using Scotty release clips. I also notice a lot less line drag, especially when down rigging deep by using braid. The wind on 30lb, or 40lb leaders not only help reduce visibility on the business end of the line, but also helps prevent line wrap on the rod tip (royal pain with long rods using braid up to the snap swivel)...
Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
25 - 30# Maxima Ultragreen is all I use. I ran 25# for years but bumped it up a bit because I found the 30# held up better when fishing in a contested area with lots of riggers.
Grew up fishing the Atknarko, Fraser, Kitamat and Skeena. Run 30lb ultragreen main with 25lb leader... have since started spending money on fluorocarbon leader.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I've seen guides run braid with downriggers. I run braid on my mooching reels with a leader. Drag is less and you can get more line on.

Probably comes down to costs too, mono is generally cheaper.

Running braid for main line works real well when fishing deep off downriggers. I have a couple Islanders with Spider Line for the times I fish down 250 feet plus off the riggers.

Out front of the light house in Campbell River you regularly fish down 250 plus for Springs. The braid has no stretch and let's you sink the hook at that depth.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
Grew up fishing the Atknarko, Fraser, Kitamat and Skeena. Run 30lb ultragreen main with 25lb leader... have since started spending money on fluorocarbon leader.

Is that where you got that ridiculous belly button tattoo? Lol.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Is that where you got that ridiculous belly button tattoo? Lol.
A drunken fishing bender in Bella Coola? Yup!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
A drunken fishing bender in Bella Coola? Yup!
Ha!! I should of guessed I would find you on this forum one day.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I kinda like using line that doesn't break in the rivers. I thought just the tackle shop guys recommended people go with light mono like that so they sell lots of gear after the fish bust them up all week!

Are you running 30 lb out of a boat or are you standing on a bar? Big difference. I suspect you are in a boat and your fishing line doesn't get raked over shallow water rocks and sticks like the bar fisher?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 AM

I run both braid and mono - the mono definitely comes out of the release allot smoother compared to braid which either pops out to quick or gets hung up on rare occasion.

Braid gives you a much better hook set - without a doubt. So I'm sticking to braid as the occasional issues are not severe enough to offset the advantages of braid (strength, lower stretch, abrasion resistance, cuts through with less ballooning of the line, etc..)

I read somewhere you can fold over a piece of wax paper (wrap your braid) so it ends up a little thicker and easier to pop out - but never thought to try it.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxis87 View Post
Ha!! I should of guessed I would find you on this forum one day.
schmai.... gotta figure out other spots than around here. Otherwise we're fishing one river and one river only...
Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I kinda like using line that doesn't break in the rivers. I thought just the tackle shop guys recommended people go with light mono like that so they sell lots of gear after the fish bust them up all week!

Are you running 30 lb out of a boat or are you standing on a bar? Big difference. I suspect you are in a boat and your fishing line doesn't get raked over shallow water rocks and sticks like the bar fisher?
Mostly float/drift (not sure what terminology you guys use out here) fishing. There isn't enough beer in the world to get me to bar fish(sitting in chairs with your rods in rod holders). Also some back bouncing out of the drift boat, back trolling out of jet boats.

Mono is also more forgiving when you have a rookie using a levelwind reel. Pulling braided ratsnest is garbage. It is nice that you can get more braid of a heavier pound test on a reel. But if you need more than 200 yards of line on a river... you're chasing your fish.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 PM

Keep things simple....30lbs and Big Game - much cheaper than Maxima
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM

30lb Maxima UL
Old 05-07-2016, 03:04 PM

In the past I've used Berkely Big Cat high-vis, works awesome to spot your line, other boaters can see it as well if you have a fish on at a distance.. 30 lb test.

I've switched to braid for this year as I often fish deep, up to 300'. To combat the issue with downrigger clips, I've added a top shot of 30' of mono,
Old 05-15-2016, 02:32 PM

I used braid when down rigging and have no problems with it. I prefer braid for the no drag and no stretch to set the hooks and that depth. The only problem I have with it, is that it does chew up the release clip pads more than mono. I will always run a flouro leader while running braid for visibility issues.

Cheers Matt - Legend Boats