Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM

Default An old dilemma, the everlasting hunt for a canoe...and..the sharing economy???

Well, once more dear friends, we enter the breach.

Every year I try to make it out to Maligne Lake. Most often, I do a day trip. Been wanting to do a multi day excursion for a few years now. Got lucky yesterday with 4 total nights at Fisherman's and Coronet.

Anyways, the same old, same old; where the heck can I guy get a canoe? Curries doesn't rent freighters anymore, neither does Source for Sports, neither does Online. Joe and Martha tourist prefer the plain generic canoes in the 12 foot to 15 foot range. Absolutely inadequate for Maligne, but no one rents the big freighters anymore. Too specialized, not enough demand. Source for Sports finally gave it up after too much complaining; a high maintenance part of the business. (I don't blame them). And the Malgine Tours boathouse? Yeah, rowboats, and some (1 or 2) dusty, creaky, 16 foot canoes (not sure they have them back). Didn't like them one bit.

So...shot in the dark? I am fed up with this annual ritual of hunting down a suitable rental (NO one, I mean no one rents 18 foot+ freighter canoes. Don't bother with "Have you tried..." unless something has drastically changed...I have phoned them ALL).

So...how about a different approach? In the 21st century, more and more people turning towards a sharing economy.

So is there anyone out there, like me, likes to fish Maligne and perhaps a few other places, but cannot justify the expense of purchasing a canoe essentially for a single purpose? I got a nice little pram for flyfishing lakes around Edmonton. Dad's got a nice lund for pike and walleye. And neither are suitable for Maligne. If only Maligne allowed gas... (i know, I know).

I have no real purpose to buy a 18-19-20 foot freighter canoe. Except for Maligne lake.

So anyone in the same boat?

Shot in the dark...would anyone like to share a freighter canoe with me? Go in for halves or thirds or quarters? Yeah, sharing can have some issues, but I would only need the canoe once, perhaps twice a year. I can't justify dropping $5K on a Scott freighter or some beautiful cedar strip for a once per year trip.

Any takers? I have the motor and batteries already. I can probably figure out a winter storage solution. Just need the canoe and a trailer.

I have seen some used ones on Kijiji for about $2000. Still. Don't want to buy a once-per-year boat unless someone else is keen also.

21st century folks! Time for some sharing!

Let me know; pm me!

Serious inquiries please. I am ready to do this, we can make it work.

Mike Smith
"Smitty"
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 06:15 PM

PM also sent!
Cat
Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Not my "bag"

but I would have been interested in the concept 25 years ago when I had the ambition for such trips. Such sharing of relatively expensive "toy" resources used to be a real thing - the concept now seems to be anathema to most people. When my Dad (RCN pilot at the time) was posted to Key West, Florida on exchange with the USN in the late 50's, he took over one third of the boat that the Canuck families on those rotating exchanges had acquired, paying off the guy who was leaving, and it was an affordable venture and great asset for our family for the 2 years we were there. When we left he sold his share to his replacement. I have no idea whether they had any written agreement on the sharing and use - probably just a trusting handshake thing amongst peers in those simpler times (?).

I do know that if I was doing it today I would insist on an at least basic and simple written agreement about shared and sole use, maintenance, storage, liability for damage/loss, and resale/buyout in the event of disputes. "Fairness" and responsibility in such things seem to be outdated concepts, just as much as the wisdom of "trust" (?).
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
I do know that if I was doing it today I would insist on an at least basic and simple written agreement about shared and sole use, maintenance, storage, liability for damage/loss, and resale/buyout in the event of disputes. "Fairness" and responsibility in such things seem to be outdated concepts, just as much as the wisdom of "trust" (?).
No question a written agreement would be called for. Sensible.

Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Jet:

Thanks for the link! I'll check out the nautical monkey site.

As I said, nothing can get done without spelling everything out in writing.

The trip went well; we managed to get in on one of the last years ever that the new owners of Curries would rent a canoe. We did the canoe Saturday and a Maligne boathouse rowboat on Sunday. The rowboat was slow. And at 14 feet, a little short.

I have thought very hard and long about the canoe as an investment and then renting it out. I have thought about it carefully. Lots of issues with waivers and insurance, and then would I end up with the same P-I-T-A issues as the businesses in Jasper? Probably. Its not for nothing that all 3 local Jasper businesses have gotten out of the game of renting this specialized equipment; just too much headache.

So I thought of this first; people take care of stuff better when they own it. Essentially it boils down to I rather have the headaches of shared ownership versus the headaches of single ownership trying to rent.

Of course, just occasionally, a smokin' good deal crops up, maybe I can justify the cost if it were really cheap.

Thanks for asking about the trip. Such hypocrisy that Parks Canada gets to run huge boats daily that use gas, but God forbid a little old user like me uses one...
Old 04-29-2016, 01:04 AM

I believe totem outfitters in edmonton rents the kind of canoe your after. not sure if you're willing to haul it to jasper for your trips but it is an option.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I got a canoe, had it since 1980, we call,it the battle barge, did the bowron circuit with it, some hairy Rapids, sat in it and went down cuts to remote lake tobaganing with gear in it, lent it out a 100 times, your welcome to it, 14' Coleman tuper ware canoe, might not be what your looking for over all but if you want to borrow it let me know, tried, tested and true.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerv View Post
I believe totem outfitters in edmonton rents the kind of canoe your after. not sure if you're willing to haul it to jasper for your trips but it is an option.
X2

http://www.totemoutfitters.ca/wp-con...-Sheet-PDF.pdf
Old 04-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I got a canoe, had it since 1980, we call,it the battle barge, did the bowron circuit with it, some hairy Rapids, sat in it and went down cuts to remote lake tobaganing with gear in it, lent it out a 100 times, your welcome to it, 14' Coleman tuper ware canoe, might not be what your looking for over all but if you want to borrow it let me know, tried, tested and true.
Appreciate the offer; that's very generous of you!

Yeah, it will be too small. Otherwise, I'd definitely take you up on it. Thanks though, nice of you too offer. This is when the board really is at it's best.

Cheers.
Mike
Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Yeah, I'm going to stop by Totem this year, in case their rental inventory has changed (I went to them last year, no go).

Couple of canoes look sorta promising, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. lol

Appreciate the help though, thank-you.

Mike

P.S. The problem I've found is that most canoes aren't deep enough. Last year I rented one that was only 16-18 inches deep. By the time you load 10 batteries up, add 3 guys plus gear, there was only 1.5 inches of freeboard left! Yikes. So a big issue is getting a canoe that is a minimum of 2 feet, even preferably 36 inches deep and at least 44 inches wide.

Basically, I need a freighter canoe that the Alaskan bush guys use to go moose hunting and you can put a 1000 pound animal in there.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 AM

MEC also rents canoes I believe. Might we worth checking with them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM

10 batteries?? Why on earth would you want that many??

Wouldn't 2 batteries, a 1000 honda generator, 2 gallons of fuel and a battery charger be easier?

Just wondering....
Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Appreciate the offer; that's very generous of you!

Yeah, it will be too small. Otherwise, I'd definitely take you up on it. Thanks though, nice of you too offer. This is when the board really is at it's best.

Cheers.
Mike
Well good luck I am sure something will surface but you need to make the purchase if this is going to be the norm and used a lot. Then you can modify it to your wants, needs and likes!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
10 batteries?? Why on earth would you want that many??

Wouldn't 2 batteries, a 1000 honda generator, 2 gallons of fuel and a battery charger be easier?

Just wondering....
I'll be happy to shed some light; Parks Canada won't allow generators; haven't allowed them since the 80's.

For the serious nut fisherman like me, having 8 to 12 batteries for a 5 day trip is pretty much the norm. You'd be surprised. The lake is long and 5 days is a long time in power requirements. Plus, I have 24 volt motor, so 2 batteries are being used up at once.

Though, that reminds me, I could see what's the latest and greatest in solar recharging, but last time I checked, most recharging technology is inadequate to re-charge deep cycle marine batteries. Or super expensive. I should look into it...

MEC is definitely no good. Totem has a better selection than MEC.

This is like the movie Jaws: "you're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Just as a reference, one of the most popular canoes that Source for Sports in Jasper sells, specifically for Maligne fisherman (but won't rent them) is this Scott Hudson Bay model, 21 feet, or the Albany' 18,4". They're ideal; both are 50 inches wide or better, and at least 18 inches deep. Can really carry a load:

http://abitibico.ca/en/products/canoes

Appreciate the feedback. It's a challenging problem, but I'll figure something out I'm sure.

Cheers.
Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM

I can't find the picture bit I think it was a pic of Specke55 with his freighter all loaded up and towing a 12 tinner as well!
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Peterborough aluminum 15 foot freighter

If you can find one used (better off having someone look for you in Ontario) are just great for loading up for 5-7 days hunting trips we did it with mine on the French river in Ontario many times. Other than the one I brought west I think you would be hard pressed to find any in the west. Saw a few on Kijiji in Ontario. Company in BC was making something similar rated for 1200 pounds but I cant remember their name. My 15 footer is so useful I sold the 17 foot freighter to Cat last year. Not doing nearly as many trips now that the boys are out on their own.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:36 PM

smitty9, have you thought about building your own freighter? This wouldn't help you this year, but it would be a great winter project. I built mine specifically for Maligne, and this will be it's 26th season on the lake. Unfortunately, I do not lend it out anymore, and I've got some repairs to do on it in the next 3 weeks before opening day. It's a Grand Laker, and I learned how to build it from a book called "Canoecraft", but got the plans from another book called "Building a Cedar Strip Canoe". 19.5 feet, 48" beam, and 18" deep. It can carry 3 people plus gear just fine. I've used the big Scott canoes for guiding - those things are huge, and can carry almost twice the gear that mine can.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:45 PM

A few of the boys from back east up here have built and used these, on our shallow rivers. I was stunned at the size and how little horsepower it took to move them with a full load!!
Gander River Guide boat
http://boatsandbuilders.com/boats/gander-river-boat
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 04:32 PM

Default I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
smitty9, have you thought about building your own freighter? This wouldn't help you this year, but it would be a great winter project. I built mine specifically for Maligne, and this will be it's 26th season on the lake. Unfortunately, I do not lend it out anymore, and I've got some repairs to do on it in the next 3 weeks before opening day. It's a Grand Laker, and I learned how to build it from a book called "Canoecraft", but got the plans from another book called "Building a Cedar Strip Canoe". 19.5 feet, 48" beam, and 18" deep. It can carry 3 people plus gear just fine. I've used the big Scott canoes for guiding - those things are huge, and can carry almost twice the gear that mine can.
Big Bull - great suggestion, I have for years thought about this. What's stopping me is that as a teacher and self employed entrepreneur, I haven't a lot of hours in the winter. Nor, sadly, lol, am I very talented when it comes to tools and woodworking. I have thought long and hard about the kits sold at Boatcraft and having someone build one for me. Yes...I am very tempted.

I was actually googling around 4 days ago and found this site:

http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_wood_boats.html

Started thinking...I don't have to be "locked" or obsessed over a canoe. Lots of dory and panga type boat plans look very intriguing. Just need that special boat that can handle a lot of weight and can b e pushed easily with a big electric.

How long does it take to build a canoe like this? A few months, 40 to 60 hours? Then some waiting periods while you wait for different stages and layers curing?

Hey great looking boats there Catnthehat! Thanks for the link!

Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 05:10 PM

smitty9, mine took 18 months, several cases of rum, and a few 24's of beer to finish, but we didn't work on it for 10 months due to loosing or workshop for that time. It's a very time consuming process. I'll keep my ears open for any suitable boats going up for sale around here.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
smitty9, mine took 18 months, several cases of rum, and a few 24's of beer to finish, but we didn't work on it for 10 months due to loosing or workshop for that time. It's a very time consuming process. I'll keep my ears open for any suitable boats going up for sale around here.
Lol. I sensed some alcohol would be involved.

Please do keep your eyes and ears open.

Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A few of the boys from back east up here have built and used these, on our shallow rivers. I was stunned at the size and how little horsepower it took to move them with a full load!!
Gander River Guide boat
http://boatsandbuilders.com/boats/gander-river-boat
Cat
Love those boats. A 9.9 is the norm . A 15hp? Now your in the big leagues
Awesome boats
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Default ***Update***

Well folks, I got a little ahead of myself and my pessimism.

Turns out that Source for Sports, while formerly acting as a booking agent for Curries, is now out of the game, Curries is still renting their big freighter. They're just handing all rentals directly. And they rent the motors and batteries.

So I spoke to the new owner of Curries George (he owns the Astoria hotel) and the freighter is available.

Good to know!

But, for the future, I am still open to owning with someone. Considering what I am going to pay for renting, obviously buying a canoe will pay for itself eventually (assuming one goes at least once per year). Or, taking Big Bulls advice, I now have time to get one built.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM

That's good news. Bring as many of your batteries as you can. Rental batteries typically suck!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 AM

I too dream about making a suitable boat for big water. Something you could put a small sail on peaks my interest.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM

Taken by a friend at Maligne this morning!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:30 AM

Wow Gord, is that ever early!!
Love that lake.....
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM

Just showed up in the buy and sell.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=287780
Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Pm sent to seller, thanks!

Looked it up on the web; made by marathon marine. A little concerned about specs, I may have up to 4 people in this boat. If it were just for me and my dad, that's better.

But 40 inches wide (ok) and 14 inches deep (not good at all) it's dicey. I used a 17 footer last year with 15 inches of depth, I was left with 1.5 to 2 inches of freeboard after load. Scary. And that was just a day trip with less batteries and no camping equipment.

Would prefer a canoe with at least 44 inches of width and 18 inches of depth. You bet; I am super picky! Lol. I figure if I am going to buy a canoe, buy it right! This is why Big Bull's advice is best; just build one!

Anyways, at least I'll the issue taken care of for this year via the rental. Allows me to be that picky!

Mike

P.S. Nice shot of Maligne Big Bull!