Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Default Glenmore reservoir is open for 2016, any tips?

Hihi going to head down to do some shore fishing in a few days maybe, if it's not too hot. I've caught pike and a brown trout out of the res, will try a little of everything to see what they're after. Any suggestions? Bait is allowed, other than bait fish. Should I get some worms? Excited to get back out there!! Woot
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM

I got a couple of pike on opening day, one of which was 21 inches. It fought more like a trout, and since I was using a buzz-bomb, I thought it must be a good trout, because I rarely catch pike on that lure. The other, much smaller pike was taken on a spinnerbait, which is a much better pike lure. Catching the Browns at Glenmore is now very difficult, so I take what I can get, since it is not the fishery it used to be.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM

I was at Glenmore last night in my canoe and saw a number of shore fishers. I saw them catch at least two small pike, probably no bigger than 12 inches. Two fellow canoers told me they caught three Pike as well.

I caught three small pike myself over the course of about 2 hours. Had to cut my split ring on one and leave the hook in; still not sure if it was going to be okay since there was some slight bleeding around the side of its mouth. Probably should have kept it I had to keep the second as the hook was way too deep and all three trebles connected. Even though it was de-barbed my efforts were fruitless and I got bit for my trouble. The third Pike jumped off the hook just as I was landing him.

Spoons seemed to be the ticket. I caught all of my pike trolling, but I'm sure shore casting and reeling with a medium to fast retrieve would work as well. The water is warm (around 15 celcius) and the pike seem active.

I was surprised to see the shore fishers actually take the Pike they caught. They're small and not worth the effort to clean. I got maybe a couple hundred grams of meat from the fish I took, and in hindsight I should've just cut my line and let the lure go.

The Pike are fun though. They strike hard and put up a decent fight.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Baker...er/1617818.uts

$3.00 hook insurance and fish saver for a double win!!

B.

Advanced tip: Put a string on it and tie it to your boat for when the pike kicks!!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 AM

I'm planning to do some fishing there this weekend.

I'm looking at the SW portion of the reservoir, accessed via South Glenmore Park trails. I'll be using some spoons casting with quick retrieve and may try my fly rod with some larger flys for pike or nymphs to coax a brown out.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:00 AM

My Wife and I went on Tuesday morning for a couple hours and didn't get a bite fishing from shore ... am sure I will try again but with other places opening Sunday it might be a while since I am not really sure where to fish with the water levels as low as they are.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
FYI, Cover the ends with something to spread the load (I use Sugru and it stands up to a couple of seasons Pike fishing before needing replacement).
Google does not seem to know what "Sugru" is do you have a link?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Sugru has an advantage in that it's soft when set (like a silicone), but moldable (like a putty), but anything to move the load away from being a point load works fine. It's also better on their teeth as it's not hard.

I've never found the better jaw spreaders that spread the load as a bar here in AB, only those cheap ones so I've always hacked it.
Sorry ... thought it was a different brand spreader not a hack for a current one. Now I understand, just use anything you can find to stop the points of the spreader going through the mouth of the fish ... gotcha ... good tip!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 PM

Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 PM

I use hockey tape on the ends of my spreaders, easy, cheap and effective.