Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Default uv lenthomson spoons

Hello all, I bought a couple of the uv red 5 o diamonds and took them up north to go lake trout fishing last spring. They seemed to out fish the regular spoons by quite a bit. Just curious if anyone else has used them and what they think of them.

cheers
Goose
Old 05-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Let me premise this by saying that I'm not an expert - but did some reading on this a while back - here's how I understand it (for the sake of discussion and interest).

There is no "regulation" or "minimum standard" that manufacturers need to meet in order to label their products UV. Almost everything out there, particularly those with fluorescence, will refract some UV radiation in one form or another.

It is thought that fish do have the same 3 sets of receptors common to mammals, birds and insects that allow them to see certain UV radiation (light). Keep in mind at what wave length (or frequency) they do and don't see is what only experimentation (and studies) can tell us.

That's why there is ZERO reaction when you shine a UV light (like off your underwater camera) right in front of the fish's eyes in the dark under the ice. No reaction whatsoever.

On the flip side - it has been proven trout and salmon will react to, and strike UV lures in deeper water where there is lower light levels with a significantly greater frequency .... and they do it consistently.

Obviously they are emitting 2 different ranges (or frequency).

So - in theory - a "UV lure" should work if it has the right properties AND is something the fish are in the mood to take.

I'm also thinking that there might be days where a "super bright shining beacon" like a UV lure may detract (reduce) a fish's willingness to take that lure if the fish is in a skittish or negative mood.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:03 PM

Was glad to see this post today. I was thinking of posting asking if adding a clear UV stripe or something on some of my lures would make a difference.

I have a couple of the clear UV reactive paint pens.

By the sounds of things it couldn't hurt but then again since I usually fish from shore it might not make a difference.

Am I understanding it correctly? It would be most helpful in water fairly deep or later in the evening?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Default Len Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hello all, I bought a couple of the uv red 5 o diamonds and took them up north to go lake trout fishing last spring. They seemed to out fish the regular spoons by quite a bit. Just curious if anyone else has used them and what they think of them.

cheers
Goose
Goose, never fished Lake Trout with UV lures but in the late 60's an 70's we would use the same size of lure. #4 Red & White( Daredevil), bright silver Ruby Eye and later on the 5 of Diamonds. They all worked well in the spring when the lakers were up shallow or mid summer when they were down 65 to 85 feet. Pretty sure it's all about the action and not the colour, but if the UV catches fish stay with it. Size and action of lure on any given day will make a difference. Other fishermen may have had the same results as yourself, I have not used that style of lure, just saying what has worked in the past and still works to this day according to my teacher(DAD).
Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 AM

I have over-sprayed my home-made plugs and spoons with "Glow" for years and believe it helps - particularly for trout/char in deep waters such as Kootenay Lake.

I fished Spray Lake for many years and did an experiment whereby we all used powder coated white or chartreuse 1/8 oz jigs with a piece of smelt for lakers at 70 - 100' depths. However, my son and I used jigs where I mixed the color and glow powders 50:50 while our guests used the same colors but without the glow factor. They all looked the same in sunlight but the glow jigs almost consistently outfitted the others.

Interestingly, I once made jointed 14" long black and white musky plugs for night trolling in Ontario and over-sprayed them with glow paint. Never caught a musky on one but did have brown bullheads (like a 12 - 14" small catfish) attack them and completely inhale the 5/0 treble hooks on a few occasions in pitch black darkness. They were not foul hooked.
I believe certain species react better to the glow than others and it is most effective in low-light conditions like deep water or ice fishing.