Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Wading Boots

I'm shopping for boots i was wondering if any one has a pair of ECO-CLEAR Wading Boots , Vibram Sole Wader Boot or any others with a lug sole
do you like them? do they grip rocks well?
with the laws against felt bottoms coming out (who knows when?) i dont want felt bottoms.

Thanks
Jinx
Old 10-02-2009, 02:20 PM

I have a pair of Simms G4 guide boots with the vibram sole. I've used them fairly heavily this season and I love them. The soles are awesome they grab rocks incredibly well , way better than I expected a rubber sole boot to. As an added bonus the are much more suited for hiking than felt soles are. I fish a lot in the back country and these boots are way better felt soles if you have a fair hike into where you want to fish.

The G4's are a bit pricey though , still can't belive I paid $300 for a pair of wading boots but seeing there condition after a season of heavy use , I think I should easliy see another 4 or 5 seasons out of them. I did alot of Hiking and a lot of wading gravel bottom streams and the soles hardly show any signs of wear.

I think Simms now has a few other models with the Vibram sole now at lower prices. Check them out , you won't be dissapointed.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Ditto on the Simms Vibram. I have the Rivershed boots with vibram and was really impressed with the grip although I've only had them out once so far on the North Ram. Very comfortable as well. I think I paid $225, well worth it IMO.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Gone Fishing

I went the cheap way....I bought a pair of runners from wal-mart a size bigger than my feet and they fit the neoprene waders and they have better grip than any boot I have used in the past. For the price of $15 I have yet to slip on a rock. This may not be for everyone but it works for me and for the price iI can buy 10 more without paying the price of a good boot.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM

i bought a pair of north face sandals with a vibram sole. work well with waders or bare feet - the best of both worlds. it just takes a bit of time getting used to them. at first i wasnt to confident in them but after wading some pretty fast water, they really started to grow on me.
cheers
Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM

I've been thinking about this, too. I want felt bottoms, but I'm consciously aware of the fact they might wind up banned.

I think I'm going to try something like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043648830855a.shtml

Those boots have two soles that can be swapped out: one felt and one lugged. I don't trust Cabela's size chart though, so I'm going to have to find something similar locally.

I may even go for wading sandals with the interchangeable soles: http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm/ID/17725

The nice thing about sandals is that the water will pass through them, and they won't seem as heavy as the boots. I know you're tougher than me, but that might be something worth considering

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM

I have a pair of korkers. They have a changable sole. Felt or lugs. Ive used the felt sole a lot this summer and have noticed that they really grip the slippery rocks. I put alot of miles on them and they seem to be holding up so far.
Sandles might be lighter but with neoprene stocking feet in my waders i would be nervous of pebbles ans twigs puncturing them.
Are felt soles really on the hit list? Why would they be banned?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM

There is some sort of organism that can be transfered from one water body to another via felt soles. There was an article in last month's (think it was last month's) "Alberta Outdoorsmen" about it. I can't put my hands on the article right now. There is talk about banning the felt soles, to stop the movement of the organism.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 PM

From what i understand they are going to be banned in Alaska and other states and in New Zeland Alberta is going to ban them too i just dont know when. I didnt get alberta outdoor mag last month they had a write up about it in there.

these are the ones im looking at
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...009000_175-9-0

and

Thank you for the help
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM

a lot of people blame all the "rock snot" in rivers like the bow to improperly cleaned felt boots; don't think that's a technical term tho
cheers
Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Well i guess i'll switch to my lugs. Dont want to be the one who brings the "rock snot" to the highwood. Thinking of that, wouldnt our boots also carry the organisms? Maybe in the insoles, or the boot upper itself?
Shhh...soon we wont be allowed to fish unless were naked. that'll make for some interesting pictures!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Well, they look like good boots. My only concern is that they're women's boots . . . not that there's anything wrong with that, in and of itself.

Being that you and I are the same height, and I figure our feet are about the same size (I'm a 10), you might have to get men's boots. Sometimes wading boots have to be bought a size (or more) larger to accommodate the waders with the attached "socks" (like the ones fishstix mentions).

So, not only do you have to think about what boots you want, but also what (if any) waders you'll be using with the boots. Make sure you try them on in person

And, yes, Fishstix . . . "Rock Snot" (Didymosphenia geminata) can hitch a ride on anything: including your dog and your bellyboat. Felt soles, however, provide an excellent environment for it and are generally considered to be worse than the other options. Having the removable felt soles, however, should make it easier to clean them and ensure that they're Didymo free.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:43 PM

The new Vibram and other rubber soles will just as easily carry the same organisms as a felt sole boot would. The difference is that the rubber sole boots are easily cleaned where as felt is not. So even if you have have the new soles you still have to clean them after each use if you want to prevent transfer.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
From what i understand they are going to be banned in Alaska and other states and in New Zeland Alberta is going to ban them too i just dont know when. I didnt get alberta outdoor mag last month they had a write up about it in there.

these are the ones im looking at

and

Thank you for the help
Jinx,
New Zealand banned felt soles at the start of last season - October 1, 2008.
The big reason is because of the spread of didymo(rock snot).
Too my knowledge, it hasn't shown up in the North Island, just the south.
regards,
Gary