Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 06:53 PM

Default Free Mount at Langara

After seeing Sundance's jacket in his ratfish thread, it reminded me of something everyone should know and pass on.

For anyone heading to Langara, they have a free mount policy for Chinooks over 40 lbs if released (actually an imitation). They are trying too support the conservation of these big fish since they are genetically unique. The catch is intended for 'guided only' but if a fish can be verified they will honour it. You would need a reputable witness (guide) to verify if you fish unguided which could be difficult. Several of the group have been fishing there for a long time and they definitely don't catch the big ones like they used to.

The guide must know your intention ahead of time since he must handle the fish differently to measure carefully, get your pictures and not cause too much stress before release. Once he's pulled aboard roughly it may be too late to decide.

It's surprising how difficult this decision may be. In conversation, some of our group said they would keep the first one but definitely release the next (How many 40+ fish do you expect to catch?!). Others said no way would they release a 40+. Personnally it is a no brainer, 40's aren't great eating anyway and there are lots of smaller ones for that. Pictures and mount are all I want and if its a freebie, all the better (I wouldn't have to sell it to my wife)

This is not publicised near enough at the Lodge in my opinion and this year was the first time I heard of it. I exchanged several emails with the staff stating that they (and particular the guides) be upfront about the option. There was one 47 lb caught on our trip and when I congratulated him, I asked if he considered releasing it given the Lodge policy. He was a bit surprised since he was not aware of the policy and, without hesitation, said he definitely would have released it.

Just an FYI in case you head up to probably the best salmon fishing available. I don't know if QCL has a similar policy or not.

I truly hope some of you get a chance to make this decision some day!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM

That is a heck of an idea.
Any ideas who does the replica?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
That is a heck of an idea.
Any ideas who does the replica?
No, I didn't ask since it wouldn't mean much to me. They run a quality show up there so I would expect something of decent quality and the stuff on their walls look great.