Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2014, 11:21 AM

Talking Anyone watch 'Wicked Tuna'? I want to go!!!

I would be down for that!!!

http://www.bigfishcharters.com/tuna_...FRBffgodwyoA8A
1/3 OF SALE PROCEEDS RETURNED TO CUSTOMERS: As with all tuna fishing charters in this area, giant tuna (over 73") belong to the boat. However, 6 ft+ tuna fish catch from off the Capewith the "Big Fish II" 1/3 of the money from the sale of the tuna is returned to you. Prices can vary on each fish depending on the amount of fat in the meat (The more the better), size, color, shape, oil in the meat, the position of Japanese yen to dollar and the supply and demand (number of other giant tuna caught that day). We have sold Blue fin Tuna for as much as $21,000 for one fish!! You get 1/3 of proceeds. We provide only top-notch tackle for Giant Tuna -- up to 6 top-quality tuna outfits are provided for your charter -- all 130 LBS. CLASS REELS on 130 lb. BENT BUTT RODS. Most other boats only provide 2 or 3 rods and your party must take turns waiting for a strike. We double your chances for a hookup and fish.

Most of our tuna fishing trips are done on Stellwagen Bank and Cape Cod Bay. This has been the hottest place for giant blue fins in the world for the last 30 years or more. Our blue fin tuna average 750 - 900 pounds with many over 1000 pounds and some over 1100 pounds. The current all tackle US record for giant tuna is 1228 pounds and was caught in our area.

Tuna fishing charters

Our largest Tuna in the last few years was 1,050lbs. but most were 700 to over 900 lbs. Best time for giant tuna fish is July, August, September, October and November. Experience is not necessary and we have had complete novices catch 1,000 lb. plus fish the first time. The average fight is about 2 hours per fish but the fight has ranged from 9 minutes to 6 hour

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM

go to pei better tuna fishing

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM

PEI x2. Doubtful that the spuds islanders would share proceeds though.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Tuna

Ken I must be reading this wrong, anything over 73" stays with
the boat but we keep 1/3 of 72" (6'). Sure does sound like a hell of a good time.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 PM

love that show.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Love that show.........i told my wife thats on my "Bucket List" !!!!!!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
Ken I must be reading this wrong, anything over 73" stays with
the boat but we keep 1/3 of 72" (6'). Sure does sound like a hell of a good time.
1/3 OF SALE PROCEEDS RETURNED TO CUSTOMERS: As with all tuna fishing charters in this area, giant tuna (over 73") belong to the boat. However, 6 ft+ tuna fish catch from off the Capewith the "Big Fish II" 1/3 of the money from the sale of the tuna is returned to you.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
1/3 OF SALE PROCEEDS RETURNED TO CUSTOMERS: As with all tuna fishing charters in this area, giant tuna (over 73") belong to the boat. However, 6 ft+ tuna fish catch from off the Capewith the "Big Fish II" 1/3 of the money from the sale of the tuna is returned to you.
Consider the clever play on words...

6 feet is 72inches....and the ones they split 1/3 with you....

BUT hit the 73inch mark and the boat owns the fish....gives you an inch to play with if I understand correctly

Still a trip on my bucket list for sure!

LC
Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

BUT hit the 73inch mark and the boat owns the fish....gives you an inch to play with if I understand correctly

LC
Sounds "fishy".

BTW I love that show and would love to do a trip like that.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 PM

I would read 6ft+ as anything 72" and above

The other good one I've seen lately is Cold Water Cowboys
Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 PM

The way I read it is all boats will take possession/ownership of a 6'+ fish, this one decided to willingly share 1/3 of the proceeds with the customer. A good business tactic if you ask me, given two similar outfits they would get my money.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 PM

Under 73 inches you take the whole fish home, does not get sold.
Over that and you take 1/3 of the cash. The weight usually runs up to 300lbs for up to 72" ans 300-1000 over. 1495.00 per day with up to 6 people and the day starts at 5 am and ends at 3 to 4 pm.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Over that and you take 1/3 of the cash. The weight usually runs up to 300lbs for up to 72" ans 300-1000 over. 1495.00 per day with up to 6 people and the day starts at 5 am and ends at 3 to 4 pm.
That makes more sense....I thought it might be the old shell game

LC
Old 03-19-2014, 02:24 PM

see i take it as 73" and up is the legal size to keep a fish, anything smaller than 73" go back.
This company is willing to pay you 1/3 of profit if a fish is caught.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Id be up for that. cheap even if they didnt share

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

My favorite show on TV ... bet Wayne Christie would show em all up !!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Its all C&R in PEI you are allowed one fish a trip, must return to port after you hook up for 1.5 hrs, you can then go out and fight another one for no more than 1 hour. You might get a charter willing to use his commercial tag. But highly unlikely. We only get 1 in PEI, and in that event the fish belongs to the boat. I have never seen a Tuna smaller than 7-8 feet( 6-700lbs). 1000-1400 a day for a guide. And the good guys are booked for pretty much the next 2 years.. Lol. There is nothing like fighting one! Ive seen 7-800 yards peeled off on the first run! August cant come soon enough!!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Haha good catch there!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
This makes sense, seems fair enough. I've worked commercial tuna boats from bc to the coast of Fiji etc for weeks on end, this definitely seems like more fun!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled-fiend View Post
This makes sense, seems fair enough. I've worked commercial tuna boats from bc to the coast of Fiji etc for weeks on end, this definitely seems like more fun!
Sounds like you have had an interesting life! Whats the biggest Tuna you have seen? What do you think the odds are of catching a Tuna with these guys on a day trip. I think this would be a great fishing trip for 4 people and it would end up being about the same money as a B.C. trip. Have never been on the east coast but from their site it looks like a great area.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you have had an interesting life! Whats the biggest Tuna you have seen? What do you think the odds are of catching a Tuna with these guys on a day trip. I think this would be a great fishing trip for 4 people and it would end up being about the same money as a B.C. trip. Have never been on the east coast but from their site it looks like a great area.
I worked commercial fishing boats pretty much full time from age 13-21, mainly long lining for black cod, halibut, dogfish (goes straight to japan), I've done salmon as well. Salmon is by far the most fun commercial fishery IMO, closest to sport fishing but with way more rods haha. I'm partial to the BC coast though, you can't beat a fishing trip out of tofino/ucluelet or up in the charlottes, the scenery and everything that comes with it trumps the east coast. If you've already done the bc gig? than ya I think it would be a worthwhile trip and a blast for sure. The odds, well fishing is fishing but obviously these guys know what there doing so the odds would be favourable and not for the tuna
Old 03-20-2014, 12:47 PM

If you want more of a sure thing go after yellowfin tuna. Your best bet for them is a good charter out of PV Mexico or a long range boat out of San Diego. I went out on a charter in PV in January on an el nineo year and was hooked up for over 10hrs with 100-300 pound tuna. Summer to nov is prime time there for the big ones. Funniest/ toughest day of fishing of my life. The excel out if San Diego was fishing there at the same time. Those guys will go as far as needed to get u on the tuna. I went out with manny on the el madator. 35 ft cabo express(my dream boat). I was by myself along with manny and 3 deck hands. At one time we had a 5 header of big yellowfins on.
http://elmatadorsportfishing.com

http://www.excelsportfishing.com

The long range trip and bluefin is on my bucket list as well. If I was booking a blue fin trip I would make sure they let me fight it with a harness and rod. Love the show but those guys are pretty much just winching in fish with the rod in the holder. Not really sport fishing. If someone puts together a trip on the excel one year I would be all over it. Great value. You can search the net for there boat. Some pretty good episodes of them cleaning up on yellowtail and yellowfin. They pack thousands of pounds of bait and will chum the waters to keep the fish around the boat. I loved trolling with bait but would fish over the rail for 10 days for the same price.