Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Fishing in Punta Cana

We are heading to Punta Cana next week and want to do some fishing while we are there. I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend any charters or provide some insight. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM

lots of pretty good fishing out of Cap Cana - big bucks tho - flats to deep sea. don't know if you are into golf or not, but if you are i think you'd be more impressed wilt the caliber / quality of golf available out there.

good luck
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 PM

we were out there last year and inquired about fishing and most were asking a few hundred for 4 hours of fishing which we thought were not in our interests. but fishing was only on our table as a last option if we had the time so we didn't look hard.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 PM

"Gone fishing" got me into a couple nice mahi's. The other boat got aarlin and 8 mahi's the other boat got skunked. Think it was 110 to share the boat with up to 6 people... Not a bad day.. I got lucky every one else was to sick to fish from the 12 ft waves.. Lol. Fishing should be decent right now though!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Default Fishing in Punta Cana

We used Mikes Marina end of February 2013. I caught the only fish, a black fin Tuna. They came highly recommended, but didn't seem to work to hard to get us into fish. Other boats we could see got nothing. Fishing trip was half day $650 for the guys in the wedding party. Saw a giant sea turtle and a couple of whales.

Only other highlight was heading out to sea were all seated in front of the flying bridge. checking things out. None of us had ever deep sea fished before. We had just opened beers and crested a large wave, the front of the boat dropped (and I mean nose down). Most of my beer was in the air between us until we hit bottom, we got soaked and got smashed into the 2" s/s railings.

Because I was having ankle surgery the week after returning, the guys all had me sitting in the chair rather than slipping around on the deck. That's why I got the first and only fish. The hook in the Tuna's mouth came out but the second hook caught his pectoral fin. Fish fought like it was possessed. Even the captain and mate thought I had something big on.

Our "all inclusive trip advisor" on site said we should of inquired with them for boat charters. He strongly encouraged us if we were to do it again, check with them. They receive steady reports of the "local" guys who are catching fish. This may just be a ploy but our contact seemed disappointed we didn't fair better in the fishing.