Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Default Fishing Florida

I may have the opportunity to go to Florida in November or December. Was thinking of doing some fishing. Anyone done any fishing in Florida? What did you fish, where and what time of year? Any recommendations?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM

check these guys out, on my bucketlist to fish with them.
http://blacktiphfishing.org/

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 PM

Fished last Nov. shallow water, Red's, Jack's, snook, lady fish all in 12" of water. Lots of fun, if you need a guide try Anna Maria Island Tackle, they did a great job.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 PM

I did a fair bit of kayak fishing in Cape Coral this winter. If you enjoy fishing out of a kayak or want to give it a try Cape Coral/Fort Myers is a great place to do it.

The following thread shows some of the pictures etc that I took.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=190786
Old 03-16-2014, 09:02 PM
Banned

Florida is a huge state. .. where abouts? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I may have the opportunity to go to Florida in November or December. Was thinking of doing some fishing. Anyone done any fishing in Florida? What did you fish, where and what time of year? Any recommendations?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Florida is a huge state. .. where abouts? ?

I will be in Orlando/Tampa area, but I am really just looking for ideas. I am willing to drive if the fishing warrants it. Might try to sneak in a few days in Miami if I can.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

Sorry I am familiar with the calasoohatchi river and gulf all around cape coral, ft myers, pine island, bookelia.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 PM

What's around Cape Coral? I have heard a bit about it, but my knowledge of the state fisheries is pretty limited.

I am interested in a few of the more high profile fish:

Baracuda
Snook
Bonefish
Tarpon
Any of the big offshore fish (marlin, tuna, swordfish, mackerel, wahoo)

I suppose I am more interested in saltwater than freshwater fish, but being that I am fishing in November/December, I am not really sure if this is even a good month for fishing. Any advice on seasons?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM

Smile You are in for a treat!

There is very good fishing just about anywhere that there is water. We found a guide on the internet, met the fellow and took my aunt and uncle fishing.

Very shallow water, reds, trout, and drum. We all had a good time. It was near Fort Myers.

The keys are something else all together.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Banned

Barracudas I caught on wrecks and reefs offshore. Bonefish in the keys, snook, tarpon in shallow water anywhere with mangroves. TARPON along the beaches in april or may and of course boca grande. November december good inshore fishing and stable weather to go offshore. I think you can get big offshore fish on the ocean side more than the gulf side.

QUOTE=Erik;2368794]What's around Cape Coral? I have heard a bit about it, but my knowledge of the state fisheries is pretty limited.

Baracuda
Snook
Bonefish
Tarpon

I suppose I am more interested in saltwater than freshwater fish, but being that I am fishing in November/December, I am not really sure if this is even a good month for fishing. Any advice on seasons?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

The Florida Keys hold the fish you've mentioned. Key Largo or Marathon probably have the most guides that can attempt to 'slam' those species for you. Tons of information on 'Fishing the Florida Keys' on the web.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
What's around Cape Coral? I have heard a bit about it, but my knowledge of the state fisheries is pretty limited.

Baracuda
Snook
Bonefish
Tarpon

I suppose I am more interested in saltwater than freshwater fish, but being that I am fishing in November/December, I am not really sure if this is even a good month for fishing. Any advice on seasons?
Tarpon are seasonal and you are going to be there in the off season so not much luck there other then getting lucky to find the odd resident tarpon. For Bonefish you need to head down to the Key West area. There are lots of snook along the coastline(guessing more to the south end of state as they are quite sensitive to water temperature). Baracuda are probably mainly around the Keys.

Mackerel can be caught most spots a little bit off shore but for Marlin, Tuna, Swordfish and Wahoo you are going to have to fish the ocean(east) side.

Overall I am thinking your best bet would be the Miami area with maybe a short trip down to the keys. The gulf side is better for seatrout, redfish, snook, snapper, maybe cobia and if you want something larger goliath grouper or sharks.