Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM

Default It's not just about the weight..

Here's my story, for what it's worth...

Bought a 30ft. xlite trailer to pull behind a 2007 f150 crewcab 4X4. The trailer was rated 1/2 ton towable by keystone and the weight fell within all the GVRW specs of the truck. The f150 had lots of power to pull the trailer but even with a load balancing hitch the trailer sway was unbearable. I installed helper springs and that helped some but not enough. I bought a heavy duty 3P hitch from ProPride and that helped a lot but I still couldn't get over 90 km without feeling out of control. Last spring I bought Silverado 2500 and that finally solved the problem. That trailer was just too long and the suspension (front and back) on that f150 couldn't handle it. Not saying your truck doesn't have good suspension but it's something to pay attention to.

I liked my F150 and didn't want to re-truck but had to choose between the trailer or the truck. When the wife said she didn't want to give up the luxury of a 30ft trailer the decision was out of my hands.

If you want to avoid nerve racking towing experience don't get a super long trailer.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I take it you work for a shop? I've heard of this in the states, but not here (learn something everyday). Out of curiousity, how do you determine your new GVWR?

(It's not that I don't believe you, but I'm curious what the limiting factor becomes).
i havent pulled wrenches for a few years now. hated it every day and the money sucked.

to determine the new numbers, i started with learning what the customer needed in regards to his truck and trailer, and where he fell short. twice guys wanted to do something that i wasnt willing to do and i told them no. for the ones i did....they were all less than 1500 kg away from where they needed to be. in all cases, it was simply adding springs and upgrading brakes. one truck had rear discs. for that one i installed permium brakes and rotors with calipers that had larger cylinders. for the drum brakes, it was larger cylinders with upgraded performance shoes. the brakes were the kind of thing you would find in performance magazines, mostly racing applications. these mods were definitely a less expensive alternative long term than going to a 3/4 ton. i would think even more so now that you cant get a 3/4 ton with a smaller engine than the fuel sucking 6.0 liter.

once my work was done, the customer took my invoice with explanation to registries where the numbers were changed. a note was always made to have a requirement of properly load rated LT tires. the first time i did it, i was on my way to registries as i didnt know that was legal. our company lawyer had a look as well to determine if liability would be an issue. i was assured we were fine.

as for the limiting factor?.....i dont know. i asked registries, and they said it was up to me. that always struck me as odd. im not an engineer, and asking me to make those decisions made me uncomfortable. like i said....i told 2 guys "no!" for the other 4 i helped out, i recommended to registries to make the new numbers only 200 kg above what they needed so not to encourage them to push limits. i guess the answer would be "my common sense" was the limit.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM

I have a 09 Z71, with the six speed auto. Have a 22' lightweight trailer, around 5000lbs loaded.
It pulls it fine, I have airbags and trailer brakes.
I have taken it to yellowstone and it towed fine on the hills we encountered.
The fuel mileage sucks, 10MPG average at around 100kph.

One thing I'm wondering about is don't you need a class one when towing in Alberta or BC if you have a truck and trailer weighing 10,000lbs or over.
That's what I was told but haven't verified it.
Also do you need to pull into the Alberta scales that state 4500KG, when they don't say "recreational vehicles exempt".
Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM

Maybe I am too late to this party but... its all about what you are going to do with the truck and trailer.

To put it differently... is a 243 winchester enough to shoot an elk? Yes. With good shooting skill, the right selection of bullet, good wind conditions, and appropriate range.

Same as a half ton truck towing a big trailer. In most cases you can load right to your max with out fear. Add in variables like wind, snow, big hills, hot temperatures you could have a disaster.

My trailer weighs 5000 pounds dry. Loaded with generator, water, and other hunting gear, it can hit 7000 lbs really easy. I tow with a 1 ton diesel. Do I need the 1 ton - no. One day on the 22 near the Old Man River Crossing I hit a windgust that put the trailer on 2 tires, set it back down and it started debating which ditch it was going to roll into. If I would have been in a lighter truck I woulda been on my roof. The weight of the truck kept my family safe that day.

So, tow right up to your max GVW; but watch the conditions closely and ensure all your gear is in top shape.